[rec.birds] another question about my 'old bean' budgie

) (07/12/90)

Hi,

Bud has been with me for well over 8 years now (a real sturdy guy), and I
love him to pieces.  I don't know too much about birds (except that they're
(except that they're the first thing I visit at the pet stores whenever I go),
but Bud is incredibly attached to his reflection.  In fact, he likes it more
than he likes me, I think...  :(  I keep him well-entertained with violin
music and my company and attend to his needs for his well-being, of course.

To bird psychologists:  what would best explain the behavior?  Is there any
way I could encourage him to play w/ me more than his mirror?

Another question:  can anyone tell me a little more about red-tailed hawks?

Thanks,

--Elaine!	:)

sandra@pyrtech (Sandra Macika) (07/12/90)

In article <9007112244.aa15232@ICS.UCI.EDU> esoo-hoo@BONNIE.ICS.UCI.EDU (Elaine!) writes:
>Hi,
>
>Another question:  can anyone tell me a little more about red-tailed hawks?
>
>Thanks,
>--Elaine!	:)

They are very easy to spot here in California. The red tail is easy to
recognize when they are flying. They are also easy to spot on the side of the
road on telephone polls next to a field. I've also seen them on fence post and
in trees. They are a really big bird! I have been pretty close, and I have
high power binoculars. They have a lot of pretty colors in the back, but it
looks mostly brown from a distance. The chest usually looks whitish with
brown splotches that seem to concentrate towards the center of the chest in
a horizontal band.

There is a red tail hawk in the visitor center in Alum Rock Park, San Jose.
I think it has only one eye, or mabye he's the one with only one wing. They
have several birds. My favorites are the owls. There is a screech owl with
one eye, a blind great horned owl, and a barn owl that was rasied by hand.
(It can be set free because it does not know how to eat live food)

What did you what to know about Red Tails?

Sandra