[rec.birds] ID this bird AND Where is Everyone?

gmr044@leah.Albany.Edu (Gregg Recer) (07/11/90)

--

>Ed Matthews                                                edm@verdix.com
>Verdix Corporation Headquarters                            (703) 378-7600
>Chantilly, Virginia

I don't have my field guide to check but just a guess: how about a
female indigo bunting?  I recall seeing a female lazuli bunting on a
recent trip to the west coast.  Very similar to what you describe:
basically a really non-descript finch-type bird.  Obviously, you don't
have a luzuli where you are but I think indigo females are quite
similar.

On another note:
    As somebody pointed out, things have been quite dead on this group
lately.  Mid-summer may not be the most exciting birding time but come
on folks! get out there and find something to look at.  My wife and I
are heading up to the Adirondacks this weekend in search of 3-toed
woodpeckers, gray jays, spruce grouse, etc.  We're going to a large
sphagnum bog area to which our bird club makes an annual visit.  Always
a neat place and often pretty neat birds too.  I'll report next week.

Gregg

     "In future you should delete the words crunchy frog and
     replace them with the legend crunchy raw unboned real
     dead frog!!"
                 -- Inspector Bradshaw, The Hygiene Division

edm@vrdxhq.verdix.com (Ed Matthews) (07/12/90)

(Ed Matthews)  I wrote about being stumped by a bird:

>>Small passerine, resembling slate junco, only smaller, sleeker, lessround;
>>half the size of nearby female blue grosbeak;finch/sparrow-like gray beak;
>>dark eye, no eye-ring, moustache, wingbars or identifying characteristics;
>>charcoal gray all over withunderside slightly paler; notched, single color
>>tail, more notched than slate junco, about like house
>>finch tail; fully-fledged and
>>probably not juvenal; hopping and flitting from branch to branch in
>>mixed cedar/pine/shrub thicket at edge of pasture in northern
>>Virginia; song a long fairly loud series of tcheek calls at 1/2 to 1
>>second intervals, not unlike the chip of a cardinal, but different.

>I don't have my field guide to check but just a guess: how about a
>female indigo bunting?  I recall seeing a female lazuli bunting on a
>recent trip to the west coast.  Very similar to what you describe:
>basically a really non-descript finch-type bird.  Obviously, you don't
>have a luzuli where you are but I think indigo females are quite similar.

Lazuli?  Where?  Call the RBA!  I've been staking out this particular
location for a couple weeks trying to find the indigo buntings that I'm
certain are there.  I can't call the bird I saw a female indigo without
seeing it paired with a male for a couple reasons:  the female indigo is
typically browner than the bird I saw and has a less notched tail than
the one I saw.  Anyway, this particular pasture is amazingly blue this time
of year:  two families of blue jays will fully-fledged young, eastern blue
birds (I saw a dozen in fifteen minutes), two dozen blue grosbeaks with
juvenal males that from a distance look like indigos.  I'm sure I've seen
male indigos, but can't scope them.  There is one royal blue male grosbeak
(king of the pasture) that has a crest and looks like a blue cardinal --
one of the most spectacularly colored birds I've ever seen.

>    As somebody pointed out, things have been quite dead on this group
>lately.  Mid-summer may not be the most exciting birding time but come
>on folks!

Yeah!  Where is everybody?  Flycatchers are really active here during the
last two hours of daylight.  Surely you guys can find something to look at.
--

Ed Matthews                                                edm@verdix.com
Verdix Corporation Headquarters                            (703) 378-7600
Chantilly, Virginia

phz@cadence.com (Pete Zakel) (07/13/90)

Well, I can't help with the female bunting (or whatever it is) and I'm fairly
new to birding (and this group) but one of my favorite sightings this year
in Sillycon Valley is a brace of male ring-necked pheasants that have taken
up residence in a field adjacent to a moto-cross track near where I work.

I've managed to spot at least one of them (usually standing on one of the
many hillocks in the field) almost every time I've driven past (about twice
a month) since early spring.  These are the first ring-necks I've seen since
leaving Ohio 13 years ago and they are the most magnificent looking birds.
Especially when the light hits 'em just right.

The only other birds I have to report are the Anna's hummingbirds that visit
my backyard feeder, the house finches that visit my girlfriend's feeder, and
one fleet sighting of a brilliant yellow (or yellowish orange) and black bird
that I couldn't get a positive ID on, but figure is some type of Oriole.

Of course, there are also the numerous common egrets, snowy egrets, etc.
Also red-tails, turkey vultures, golden eagles, one kite (I'm pretty sure),
various jays, sparrows, blackbirds, etc., etc.

Last spring I spotted at least one junco (couldn't positively ID what type),
what may have been female goldfinches (but I'm not sure) and a few titmice.

I know, lots of boring everyday birds, but when you've just barely started
on your life-list, everything counts (and it's frustrating not being able
to get positive IDs on a lot of 'em...).

-Pete Zakel
 (phz@cadence.com or ..!{hpda,versatc,apollo,ucbcad,uunet}!cadence!phz)