[rec.birds] owl calls

HYD@psuvm.psu.edu (07/19/90)

Does anybody know where I can get recordings of saw wet and screech owl calls,
which could be used to attract owls? I've gotten Barred owl recordings from a
hunting catalog and they have worked great for attracting both Barred owls and
small passerine birds. I'm an begining wildlife photographer and use the calls
to lure birds in to good "shooting" distance.

                                     Thanks,  Paul

horvath@granite.cr.bull.com (John Horvath) (07/20/90)

In article <90200.100322HYD@psuvm.psu.edu> HYD@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>Does anybody know where I can get recordings of saw wet and screech owl calls,
>which could be used to attract owls? I've gotten Barred owl recordings from a

I've used the records from the Peterson Guide series to make an
extended tape of screech owls that has been successfull. Just record
the same call over and over with an appropriate rest between. Its alot
easier if you have a dual tape drive. The Peterson records or tapes
are available at most libraries and almost every store that sells
field guides. The front covers are blue and white with a couple of
bird paintings on them.

When playing mixed owl tapes, start with the screech owl first, then
barred and finally great horn. If you reverse the order, the tape
will act as a owl repellent for the smaller species.