[rec.birds] Indoor Antics

susans@cfi.COM (susans) (07/10/90)

Two cute stories:

First, my blue budgie Pookie's acrobatics last night had me in
stitches!  I have a great bathrobe--thick, thick terry cloth with
a big hood.  My hair was wet and I was exhausted, so I had the hood
on as I watched t.v.  Pookie landed on my head with a thump, then
proceeded to walk over to the front of the hood (at my forehead) and
peer over the edge into my glasses.  There's something incredibly
cute about a tiny little white face hanging upside down in your
face!

Second, my six month old cockatiel Murphy was more daring than usual in
the shower this morning.  He's just learning to enjoy the fine mist I hold
him in--he does a lot of blinking and looking shocked.  Well, after a minute
he decided that he would retreat to his usual sanctuary, my shoulder.
Naturally my shoulder was directly under the jet of the shower head, and
the bird was washed off immediately.  Down on the floor of my tub/shower
he looked pathetic and wet, but he just looked up at me with his big
black eyes with one of those "Oh Sh*t!" looks on his face!

--
                        Susan S. (susans@cfi.com)

                        Another Friend of Bill's

wvenable@spam.ua.oz (Bill Venables) (07/12/90)

In article <840@cfiprod.UUCP> susans@cfi.com (Susan Scheide) writes:

>Two cute stories:
>
>First, my blue budgie ...
>
>Second, my six month old cockatiel ...

Two Australian parrots!  How quaint.  I have a few questions for you
folks in the USA/Canada/UK, if I may

1) Are any other Australian birds popular pets?

2) Have any Australian birds managed to establish themselves as feral
   populations overseas?  (We have heaps of English, European and
   Asian feral species here, :-(, but no American as far as I know.)

Just a few snippets about Budgerigars and Cockatiels before I go.

Wild budgerigars are very numerous, but they live in such remote and
arid places they are rarely seen in the wild by most Australians. I
certainly have not seen one, and I have seen a good bit of the
country.  They tend to be a nomadic and irruptive species - they are
not seen for many years, and suddenly there might be a flock of
several thousand or more persistent in an area for several months. In
the wild, of course, they are always green.

Cockatiels I have seen in the wild, and fairly often.  On a recent
trip I saw a flock of perhaps 3000 or more feeding from a grain spill
near a railway line at Moree, New South Wales.  When I looked more
closely I saw that it was actually a mixed flock of cockatiels and
crested pigeons - which are also grey birds with a long wispy crest.
I guess when there is plenty of food there is no need to fight over it!

--
  Bill Venables, Dept. Statistics,        | Email:   wvenable@spam.ua.oz.au
  Univ. of Adelaide,  South Australia.    | Phone:           +61 8 228 5412

sbishop@desire.wright.edu (07/12/90)

In article <840@cfiprod.UUCP>, susans@cfi.COM (susans) writes:
> Two cute stories:
>
> First, my blue budgie Pookie's acrobatics last night had me in
> stitches!  I have a great bathrobe--thick, thick terry cloth with
> a big hood.  My hair was wet and I was exhausted, so I had the hood
> on as I watched t.v.  Pookie landed on my head with a thump, then
> proceeded to walk over to the front of the hood (at my forehead) and
> peer over the edge into my glasses.  There's something incredibly
> cute about a tiny little white face hanging upside down in your
> face!
>
> Second, my six month old cockatiel Murphy was more daring than usual in
> the shower this morning.  He's just learning to enjoy the fine mist I hold
> him in--he does a lot of blinking and looking shocked.  Well, after a minute
> he decided that he would retreat to his usual sanctuary, my shoulder.
> Naturally my shoulder was directly under the jet of the shower head, and
> the bird was washed off immediately.  Down on the floor of my tub/shower
> he looked pathetic and wet, but he just looked up at me with his big
> black eyes with one of those "Oh Sh*t!" looks on his face!
>

> --
>                         Susan S. (susans@cfi.com)
>
>                         Another Friend of Bill's

Of my small flock of indoor birds we have two that are allowed occasional
flights around the house.  Both (parakeets) are very tame and finger trained.
One is much older, male, and imprinted on humans so *knows* he is not a bird.
The other is very young, hand raised orphan, and of indeterminate (as yet) sex.
Recently we let them both loose at the same time.  Grumpy, the older male,
likes to sit on the curtain rods. Arnold followed.  Grumpy moved to the chain
lamp, Arnold followed.  Back and forth and back and forth.  Grumpy started
getting really upset so we took him back to his cage.  I am not sure what
Arnold wanted but he/she was determined to get as close to Grumpy as possible.
Grumpy fussed in his cage about the invasion of privacy for HOURS.  (When he's
mad he gets very vocal.)  I heard muttered comments from him about Stupid Birds
and Hey, Stupid, and What'cha doin', over and over again.

Another question for any canary enthusiasts out there.  My female canary spends
most of her time sitting on an empty nest.  Johnnie, her mate, sings to her
constantly but so far no eggs.....  Should I separate them for a while to see
if that will stimulate ovulation?  I am almost ready to take her out and put my
other female in.

bonnie@hanauma.stanford.edu (Bonnie Rippere) (07/12/90)

In article <332@spam.ua.oz> wvenable@spam.ua.oz (Bill Venables) writes:
>>First, my blue budgie ...
>>Second, my six month old cockatiel ...
>
>Two Australian parrots!  How quaint.  I have a few questions for you
>folks in the USA/Canada/UK, if I may
>
>1) Are any other Australian birds popular pets?
>
>2) Have any Australian birds managed to establish themselves as feral
>   populations overseas?  (We have heaps of English, European and
>   Asian feral species here, :-(, but no American as far as I know.)
>
>Just a few snippets about Budgerigars and Cockatiels before I go.

Thanks for the budgie and cockatiel comments - I found them pretty
interesting, as I have really only dealt with these birds as tame species.
I would really love to see a large flock of cockatiels - that must
be a sight!
1- Cockatiels and budgies are really the most popular of the Australian
birds - easily bred and all that.  Cockatoos also are popular, but much
less common.  Most of the parrots which people get here, though, are
South American.  (Other people out there who know better, please feel
free to correct me!)
2- I believe the only wild populations of Australian birds (meaning parrots)
that we have in the states are the flocks of wild parakeets which one
may find in Florida.  These apparently grew from pet birds which were
released or escaped, rather than immigrants from Australia!  I don't know
too much about the less visually-ostentatious birds, but I can't recall
hearing of Australian finches or sparrows, etc.  Again, others are
welcome to correct me.
	Bonnie Rippere - Stanford

sbishop@desire.wright.edu (07/12/90)

In article <332@spam.ua.oz>, wvenable@spam.ua.oz (Bill Venables) writes:
> In article <840@cfiprod.UUCP> susans@cfi.com (Susan Scheide) writes:
>>
>>Two cute stories:
>>
>>First, my blue budgie ...
>>
>>Second, my six month old cockatiel ...
>
> Two Australian parrots!  How quaint.  I have a few questions for you
> folks in the USA/Canada/UK, if I may
>
> 1) Are any other Australian birds popular pets?
>
> 2) Have any Australian birds managed to establish themselves as feral
>    populations overseas?  (We have heaps of English, European and
>    Asian feral species here, :-(, but no American as far as I know.)

There is a flock of parakeets living wild near Tampa Florida.  I did hear that
most of them were killed by the recent severe cold spell.
Also I remember reading that there is a flock of monk parrots living in
Chicago.  I forget where I read it.  Does any one out there on the net know
anything about this?

> Just a few snippets about Budgerigars and Cockatiels before I go.
>
> Wild budgerigars are very numerous, but they live in such remote and
> arid places they are rarely seen in the wild by most Australians. I
> certainly have not seen one, and I have seen a good bit of the
> country.  They tend to be a nomadic and irruptive species - they are
> not seen for many years, and suddenly there might be a flock of
> several thousand or more persistent in an area for several months. In
> the wild, of course, they are always green.

Interesting how domestication has changed the color.  I have five parakeets,
all shades of blue, yellow with green patches, tourquise.....

kac@mtune.ATT.COM (Kathleen Cavanagh) (07/12/90)

In article <332@spam.ua.oz>, wvenable@spam.ua.oz (Bill Venables) writes:

> 1) Are any other Australian birds popular pets?
>
>   Bill Venables, Dept. Statistics,        | Email:   wvenable@spam.ua.oz.au
>   Univ. of Adelaide,  South Australia.    | Phone:           +61 8 228 5412

How about cockatoos!  We have an umbrella, but there are many
other varieties that are popular (greater and lesser sulfars, galas,
mullacans to name a few!)

And they are such affectionate pets! (hand raised ones!)

Wouldn't give Rigbey up for the world!

-Kathy

brian@ncrorl.Orlando.NCR.COM (brian) (07/12/90)

Here in Florida on the Atlantic Coast below KSC there are wild flocks
of parrots.  I'm sure they had names like Houdini, escape-artist, etc, etc...
In the mornings the flock of about 15-20 now-wild parrots
flys from the mainland across the river to the islands and in the evenings
return.  Apparently they roost on the mainland and feed over on the islands!
The way all this was observed is because a friend of mine has a house on
the flight-path!  Wanna talk about a sight out of place???

As far as parrot native homelands, there are 3 distinct regions which
they issue forth from; Australia, South America and Africa.  The Australian
group actually comprises most to SE Asia.  Most of the green based parrots
originate in SA.  And as those are the most well known, perhaps that's what
your thinking about.  With the keets & cockatiels being Aus. then I'd
have to venture that they are the greatest of population.

By the way, on the antics topic, BIG question:::  How many people
out there have birds that call them by name???  One of my parrots,
my traveling companion, has gotten into that habit.  Whenever I'm around,
but not in site, she lets out in her little girlish Double Yellowhead-type
squawk, "Brian, come here Brian!"  When I first got her 9 mon. ago when
she was 6 months, the only thing she said, beyond the standard gammet of
dribble, was "Wow, look at that!".  SO tell me, does your bird
broadcast your name to the whole neighborhood???

brian
"His job is to shed light, not to master!!!"

of the imports nowadays.

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (07/13/90)

In article <739@helens.Stanford.EDU>, bonnie@hanauma.stanford.edu (Bonnie
Rippere) writes:
> 1- Cockatiels and budgies are really the most popular of the Australian
> birds - easily bred and all that.  Cockatoos also are popular, but much
> less common.  Most of the parrots which people get here, though, are
> South American.  (Other people out there who know better, please feel
> free to correct me!)

In general the larger Cockatoo's are in lesser numbers because they are harder
to breed (only now are people learning what all it takes), and have not been
imported from Australia since the early 60's.  This is a shame since the
genetic pool from which breeders are producing is much smaller than it was
before, and getting smaller as older birds die.  It would be nice if from
time to time some small amount of the larger Austrailian birds were allowed
out of Austrailia.  Also it might be noted that the US does not allow any
export of native birds.

> 2- I believe the only wild populations of Australian birds (meaning parrots)
> that we have in the states are the flocks of wild parakeets which one
> may find in Florida.  These apparently grew from pet birds which were
> released or escaped, rather than immigrants from Australia!  I don't know
> too much about the less visually-ostentatious birds, but I can't recall
> hearing of Australian finches or sparrows, etc.  Again, others are
> welcome to correct me.

There are a few groups of Macaws in Florida as well as a colony of Quaker
Parrots in Chicago dispite the winters.
--
InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890

andrewt@cs.su.oz (Andrew Taylor) (07/13/90)

In article <332@spam.ua.oz> wvenable@spam.ua.oz (Bill Venables) writes:
>In article <840@cfiprod.UUCP> susans@cfi.com (Susan Scheide) writes:
>Two Australian parrots!  How quaint.  I have a few questions for you
>folks in the USA/Canada/UK, if I may
>
>1) Are any other Australian birds popular pets?

I've seen caged Zebra Finches in most countries I've been to. It can be
confusing. Recently alking through the suburbs of Jerusalem I heard bird-calls
which suprisingly I was sure I knew but I just couldn't make the association.
Several days later I walked past a pet store with caged finches and it
clicked - it had been (caged) Zebra Finches calling. Gouldian finches
seem to be kept commonly overseas too. They must be far more in captivity
than in the wild because they are high on the endangered list with
only several thousand left in the wild.

>2) Have any Australian birds managed to establish themselves as feral
>   populations overseas?  (We have heaps of English, European and
>   Asian feral species here, :-(, but no American as far as I know.)

Various Australian birds have feral populations on Pacific Islands
(including Hawaii) e.g Australian Magpies in Fiji. Outside the Pacific
the only feral populations I know of are Budgies in South Africa,
Florida, Hawaii? and Britain??. There is a definitive reference:
"Introduced birds of the world" by John Long. It attempts to list
all feral bird populations.

>Wild budgerigars are very numerous, but they live in such remote and
>arid places they are rarely seen in the wild by most Australians.

Which is sad. The sight of a large flock of budgies wheeling so the early
morning sun catches there underwing is so beautiful everyone should get to
see it. Another spectacle is flock of budgies flushed from the undergrowth,
an explosion of green and yellow.

Andrew

heneghan@cbnewsd.att.com (joseph.t.heneghan) (07/13/90)

In article <809.269c1af8@desire.wright.edu> sbishop@desire.wright.edu writes:
>In article <332@spam.ua.oz>, wvenable@spam.ua.oz (Bill Venables) writes:
>> In article <840@cfiprod.UUCP> susans@cfi.com (Susan Scheide) writes:

Monk Parrots in the Chicago area... Yes, they're in the Hyde Park/University
of Chicago Area. I haven't seen them, but I understand they even survive
the winters. BTW, if you look in the Birds Of North America Field guide,
they list a whole bunch of Parrots as being found in Southern
California. They list a Black Hooded Conure, which looks exactly like
my Nanday Conure. I suppose they have enough feathers for cold climates,
and their blodd must thicken, but what do they eat?

BTW Did anyone see the Budgy on the tonight show? 150 words in it's
vocabulary? Pretty interesting?
					Joe Heneghan

wvenable@spam.ua.oz (Bill Venables) (07/15/90)

In article <674@mtune.ATT.COM> kac@mtune.ATT.COM (Kathleen Cavanagh) writes:
>In article <332@spam.ua.oz>, wvenable@spam.ua.oz (Bill Venables) writes:
>>
>> 1) Are any other Australian birds popular pets?
>>

>How about cockatoos!  We have an umbrella, but there are many
>other varieties that are popular (greater and lesser sulfars, galas,
>mullacans to name a few!)

	These are not all Australian, of course, but all cockcatoos
	seem to come from this part of the world rather than South
	America, for example.

	In particular we have no "umbrella" cockatoo known by that
	name, but if it is the one I think it is, it comes from
	Indonesia.  I don't know what "mullacans" are either, unless
	they are the cockatoos from the Moluccas, in which case they
	are also Indonesian. We do have a Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
	(I'm not sure if it's the greater or the lesser) and Galahs -
	they're *really* Australian!

	In fact Galahs and Corellas (two other kinds of large raucous
	white cockatoo) are often agricultural pests in Oz and there
	is a debate whether the farmers should not be given permits to
	catch and export them rather than permits to poison and shoot
	them, as sometimes happens now.  It's an emotional issue.

>And they are such affectionate pets! (hand raised ones!)

	It's curious how the "white" group of cockatoos, and galahs,
	are such common caged birds, whereas the much more impressive
	(to my mind at least) "black" group (Red-tailed,
	Yellow-tailed, White-tailed, Casuarina, Gang-gang, Palm, ...)
	are virtually unknown in captivity.  Any flock of cockatoos in
	the wild is something to see, but to see a large flock of
	red-tailed black cockatoos is a real privilege.

	BTW I understand that some taxonomists regard cockatiels as
	rather junior members of the "white" group of cockatoos.

>Wouldn't give Rigbey up for the world!

	Rigbey??  If you ask him you will probably find his *real*
	name is "Malik Rigbi Soerkarno" :-)

--

bob@delphi.uchicago.edu (Robert S. Lewis, Jr.) (07/16/90)

In article <809.269c1af8@desire.wright.edu> sbishop@desire.wright.edu writes:

>Also I remember reading that there is a flock of monk parrots living in
>Chicago.  I forget where I read it.  Does any one out there on the net know
>anything about this?

Yes, there are several, growing flocks of Monk Parakeets along the
lakefront in Chicago.  They have been here at least 15 years and have
survived several very severe winters.  Some efforts were mounted last
year to exterminate them (because of fears they might spread and
become a pest), but the locals raised an outcry and the government
relented.  The parrots are entertaining to watch, but I worry about
their effects on native bird populations--recently a flock established
itself in the local bird sanctuary:  I don't know yet what the effect
of this will be.  But the parrots breed very successfully and are
expanding.  Birders are keeping a careful eye on the population, which
now must number in the hundreds.  They are quite abundant at
birdfeeders in my neighborhood and a large flock nests across the
street from the late Mayor Washington's apartment.

plemmons@nsf1.mth.msu.edu (Steve Plemmons) (07/17/90)

Can someone give me a good description of a monk parrot.  I don't think
I have ever seen one.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Plemmons                      plemmons@mth.msu.edu
Math Department                     plemmons@frith.egr.msu.edu
Michigan State University           21144smp@msu.bitnet

bob@delphi.uchicago.edu (Robert S. Lewis, Jr.) (07/18/90)

In article <1990Jul16.183013.16942@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> plemmons@brain.mth.msu.edu (Steve Plemmons) writes:
>Can someone give me a good description of a monk parrot.  I don't think
>I have ever seen one.

I can give you a description from memory (more or less accurate):

Long-tailed mostly green parrot a bit larger than a morning dove.  The
head and upper breast are mostly gray, the underwings are all or
partially bright blue (not always visible);  there may be a small
patch of yellow somewhere on the bird, but if there is I don't exactly
remember where, which implies it is probably not too prominent.  They
make quite a lot of noise, screeching loudly in flight and while
perched.  They tend to appear in smallish flocks (maybe 3-12 birds),
feeding in trees or at bird feeders.  Their shape is distinctive in
flight (at least compared to other birds seen in Chicago), with
longish sickle-shaped wings, curving deeply backwards, and long thin
pointed tails.  They build a large communal nest, quite unlike the
nests of other birds nesting in Chicago;  the nest is probably seven
feet tall and four feet wide.

I think there is an illustration in Peterson or the National
Geographic guide or both.

duane@cbnewsj.att.com (duane.galensky) (07/19/90)

>In article <674@mtune.ATT.COM> kac@mtune.ATT.COM (Kathleen Cavanagh) writes:
>	These are not all Australian, of course, but all cockcatoos
>	seem to come from this part of the world rather than South
>	America, for example.
>
>	In particular we have no "umbrella" cockatoo known by that
>	name, but if it is the one I think it is, it comes from
>	Indonesia.  I don't know what "mullacans" are either, unless
>	they are the cockatoos from the Moluccas, in which case they
>	are also Indonesian. We do have a Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
>	(I'm not sure if it's the greater or the lesser) and Galahs -
>	they're *really* Australian!
>
>	In fact Galahs and Corellas (two other kinds of large raucous
>	white cockatoo) are often agricultural pests in Oz and there
>	is a debate whether the farmers should not be given permits to
>	catch and export them rather than permits to poison and shoot
>	them, as sometimes happens now.  It's an emotional issue.
>
>	It's curious how the "white" group of cockatoos, and galahs,
>	are such common caged birds, whereas the much more impressive
>	(to my mind at least) "black" group (Red-tailed,
>	Yellow-tailed, White-tailed, Casuarina, Gang-gang, Palm, ...)
>	are virtually unknown in captivity.  Any flock of cockatoos in
>	the wild is something to see, but to see a large flock of
>	red-tailed black cockatoos is a real privilege.
>
>	BTW I understand that some taxonomists regard cockatiels as
>	rather junior members of the "white" group of cockatoos.

the cockatoo commonly referred to as "umbrella" is actually
cacatua alba (white cockatoo) which inhabits several small
islands north of the australian continent, and not the contintent
proper.   it would make perfect sense that the "salmon crested"
or mollucan cockatoo comes from the moluccas...

black cockatoos are not commonly kept as caged birds for several
reasons.  their relative rarity makes them highly prized, however
as a rule they don't fare well in captivity.  the 'casaurina'
has a highly specialized diet (hence the nickname).  palms
are perhaps the most magnificent of all, but like all black cockatoos
their needs and disposition can't be handled by the average domestic
bird owner.

why CITES prohibits the export of birds only to have them shot or
poisoned is quite an isssue indeed.  the theory is that if the
export of galahs etc. is permitted, the smuggler will have a much
easier time getting away with leadbeaters etc. which are endangered
and command astronomical prices on the black market.  the
down side is that prices for birds which are as common as pigeons
and twice as pesty in australia run in the $3000 range in the US...
in this part of the world, a galah is rare indeed!  it's a tough
issue, and we can only hope for a sensible resolution that
benefits the common and rare species alike.

so

chuq@Apple.COM (Smile when you say that) (07/20/90)

duane@cbnewsj.att.com (duane.galensky) writes:

>why CITES prohibits the export of birds only to have them shot or
>poisoned is quite an isssue indeed.

CITES doesn't prohibit export of Gahlahs and the other australian birds that
are killed as pests. Australian laws do. The Gahlah isn't an endangered
species -- Australia simply prohibits export of all birds. There have been
movements for years to try to get this changed, the thought being that it's
better for some of those birds to be exported as pets then be killed
outright. Slow progress seems to be happening. Very slow.

>The
>down side is that prices for birds which are as common as pigeons
>and twice as pesty in australia run in the $3000 range in the US...

Which is one reason why there isn't more pressure from the bird industry in
the U.S. -- folks making lots of money breeding domestic rose-breasted
cockatoos (the local name for gahlah) don't want to see their very-limited
market hit by imports.

--
Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

We tend to idealize tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested
with losers and nut cases -- Patrick Nielsen Hayden

andrewt@cs.su.oz (Andrew Taylor) (07/20/90)

In article <269CBCB6.4E42@intercon.com> kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann)
writes:
> It would be nice if from time to time some small amount of the larger
> Australian birds were allowed out of Australia.  Also it might be noted that
> the US does not allow any export of native birds.

Its regularly suggested that export of the some the abundant species
of parrot be allowed. In particular Sulphur-Crested Cockatoo, Galah and
Long_Billed Corella which get so numerous in some areas that farmers are
permitted to shoot them to stop crop damage. The primary objection raised
by National Parks & Wildlife is that such trade would provide a cover
for trade in rarer species.

Illegal capture and export of Australia's parrot is a significant problem.
For example I understand its a particular threat to the Golden-Shouldered
parrot whose numbers are critically low.

There would be little public sympathy for export of wildlife for pets.

Andrew

andrewt@cs.su.oz (Andrew Taylor) (07/22/90)

In article <43163@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Smile when you say that)
writes:
>CITES doesn't prohibit export of Galahs and the other australian birds that
>are killed as pests. Australian laws do. The Galah isn't an endangered
>species -- Australia simply prohibits export of all birds. There have been
>movements for years to try to get this changed, the thought being that it's
>better for some of those birds to be exported as pets then be killed
>outright. Slow progress seems to be happening. Very slow.

In fact Galah are the reverse of endangered, they one of the birds that
has benefited from the man's changes to the environment.

I'd say change of laws to allow export of pest birds seems less likely than
it did a few years ago. I suspect the current US Galah price is largely based
on rarity and the profits would be much less after the first 1000 were exported.
Another problem is the birds being shot are (largely) adults. I've been told
that adult wild birds don't make good cage birds. Will a Galah that has
spent the 15 years flapping around Wagga Wagga make a good pet?

> ... domestic rose-breasted cockatoos (the local name for gahlah) ...

It used to be the official english name for them here too. Everyone calls
them galahs now. The word "galah" is also in common use to mean a fool
which doesn't show much respect for a bird which John Gould called the
most beautiful of all parrots.

>>and twice as pesty in australia run in the $3000 range in the US...

I'm sure it'd make a few truck drivers think to know that that grey and pink
lump on the highway was worth US$3000 before they splattered it.

Andrew

andrewt@cs.su.oz (Andrew Taylor) (07/23/90)

In article <43165@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Smile when you say that)
writes:
>On the other hand, mortality of birds is MUCH higher in the wild. Life
>expectency is much lower.  Your little white cockatoo doesn't have to worry
>about being eaten in the middle of the night, or starving to death, or heat
>stroke. Properly handled birds in captivity are happy and satisfied, live
>longer and are healthier.

Given your appeal for others to learn the facts, can you back this up with some?

Though the above is likely to be true for small birds, I'm not so sure about
cockatoos. I'm familiar with Sulphur-Crested Cockatoos. Life doesn't seem too
hard for an adult. Predation is rare and so I think would be problems with
food or water.  I wouldn't be suprised if the life expectancy of a wild adult
matched or exceeded that of a captive bird. I haven't handled any wild
Sulphur-Cresteds but in the binoculars they certainly look as least as healthy
as the caged ones I've seen.

>I know MANY birds, mine for one, that given a choice of staying at home or
>being sent out to 'freedom' would go running for the cage as fast as their
>little legs could carry them...

I've haven't done an opinion poll but I have seen quite a few cockatoos
flying about here that evidently chose freedom over captivity when given
the choice.  Captivity or US suburbia(?) doesn't seem a fair choice, what
would be the result if you offering the bird captivity or the forests(?)
it came from.

Andrew