[rec.birds] INDOOR : So how well do parakeets and cockatiels mix?

AS.RLS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Rosemary Switzer) (07/20/90)

  I'm begging some information from all you folks who have
more than one species of birds as pets.  I have a mated pair of
cockatiels, Rikki (15 years old) and Ariel (13 years old).
Rikki and Ariel are 'people trained', though Ariel does
tend to get jealous if Rikki spends too much time with a
human.  :)    Anyway, I've inherited a 7 year old parakeet
named Russell.   Russell is very skittish and scared of
everything.  He has been an only bird, and his previous owner
did not spend a lot of time with him.  He was frantic upon
coming to my home last week, but has calmed down quite a bit.
I've been talking to him a lot, and he is entranced with
Rikki and Ariel (probably the first time since fledging that
he's seen other birds!).  I've placed his cage 1 foot
away from Rikki and Ariel's, and he has forsaken his mirror
for them (good sign?).  Rikki and Ariel, who are out a lot,
haven't paid him a bit of attention.
   Does anyone have any advice on what's the best approach to
making Russell acclimated and happy in his new home?  I would
like to socialize him, but do not want to stress him out (is
it true that parakeets can die of fright?).  Neither do I want
to impose my fantasy of Rikki, Ariel and Russell becoming buddies,
if that is unnatural for them all.  Any and all advice is most
welcome.  Thanks!

Rosemary Switzer

shelley@milton.u.washington.edu (Shelley Vogel) (07/20/90)

In article <10521@lindy.Stanford.EDU> AS.RLS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Rosemary Switzer) writes:

>  I'm begging some information from all you folks who have
>more than one species of birds as pets.

I too have parakeets and cockatiels.  In my experience, my parakeets
intimidate the dickens out of the cockatiels!  Even though I got the
cocktiel first, when I introduced the parakeets to the house (all the
birds get free out-of-the-cage time), the parakeets would, after
first getting used to the other birds, chase them all over!  If the
cocktiels would perch on the curtain rod, up would go the parakeet,
and edge along until the cocktiels would be forced to flee!  Rather
comic to watch, but not very much fun for the larger birds.

>I've placed his cage 1 foot
>away from Rikki and Ariel's, and he has forsaken his mirror
>for them (good sign?).  Rikki and Ariel, who are out a lot,
>haven't paid him a bit of attention.

If your cocktiels aren't backing away from the parakeet, it
may be, since they are older and  the parakeet is rather on
new ground, that he won't bother them.  But I'll bet once
he gets acclimated to his new surroundings, he'll get more
curious about the cocktiels, and invade their territory.
This could, of course, make them very unhappy!

I'd just open the cages and watch them closely to make sure the
little guy doesn't chase the cocktiels!

Good luck.

>Rosemary Switzer

Shelley

bonnie@hanauma.stanford.edu (Bonnie Rippere) (07/21/90)

In article <10521@lindy.Stanford.EDU> AS.RLS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Rosemary Switzer) writes:

>  I'm begging some information from all you folks who have
>more than one species of birds as pets.  I have a mated pair of
>cockatiels, Rikki (15 years old) and Ariel (13 years old).
>   Anyway, I've inherited a 7 year old parakeet
> [stuff deleted about how to introduce these birds together, etc.]

My experience has been that cockatiels and parakeets get along very well
together.  The age of your birds, however, might make the acclimatization
process take a bit longer.  My parents currently have two parakeets and
one cockatiel.  All birds are male, but the cockatiel and the green
keet both have enormous "crushes" on the blue parakeet.  They're almost
like groupies and follow him around everywhere.  It can be rather amusing
to watch the cockatiel serenading the budgie as the budgie tries to
ignore this big grey bird in his face.  I've also heard from other
people that their budgies and cockatiels get along rather well.
  The fact that your "new" parakeet is very interested in your cockatiel
pair is a good sign.  It wasn't clear in your post whether you have
been letting the budgie out much, but you should probably start doing
this.  Make sure you are around and let all three birds be out at the
same time.  As you know, cockatiels are relatively gentle birds but
there is the possibility that they might hassle the parakeet.  In general,
though, the cockatiels should be excellent examples for the parakeet
to learn from.  If he's skittish, but can observe how the others
trust you, and how they fly/walk around, he will learn these things
more quickly himself.  My parents' three birds all share the same cage
by now - originally they all had separate cages but were so distraught
every time they were separated at night, we eventually couldn't bear
to do it.  I would suspect that your cockatiels will want to keep
their cage their own dominion, though.
  Good luck!
	Bonnie Rippere - Stanford University

ian@dept.csci.unt.edu (Ian Parberry) (07/24/90)

in my experience, it depends on the individual budgie and the individual
tiel.  I've had tiels that get along just fine with budgies, and one
budgie-killer.  Proceed with reasonable caution.  Some postings have
pointed out that budgies can harass tiels, but I've never known a
budgie to kill a tiel.  Mind you, all of this was with Australian
stock not too far removed from the wild blood lines: I'm not sure
how well this applies to the US attenuated and in-bred stock.
____
Ian Parberry  ian@dept.csci.unt.edu  Dept. of Computer Science,
Univ. of North Texas, P.O. Box 13886, Denton, TX 76203-3886
"Bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy"