[rec.birds] California Condor

sandra@pyrtech (Sandra Macika) (07/23/90)

I am taking a public speeking class, and am doing a Speech on the California
Condor. Is there anyone out there associated with the San Deigo Zoo or
LA Zoo that has current info about the Condor situation?

Is there anyone who has actually see a California Condor in the wild?
(of course the siting would have to have been earlier than Easter 1987, when
the last Condor was brought into captivity)

I have read several books, but they are all 10 to 25 years old, and the
situation has changed drastically in the past few years.

I have read some newer articles too, but I would like to find out more.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sandra

news@ism780c.isc.com (News system) (07/24/90)

In article <120748@pyramid.pyramid.com> sandra@pyrtech.pyramid.com (Sandra Macika) writes:
>Is there anyone who has actually see a California Condor in the wild?
>(of course the siting would have to have been earlier than Easter 1987, when
>the last Condor was brought into captivity)

Yes.  I saw a group of 5 at one time.  This was in the mid 80's.  I don't
have the exact date in front of me right now.  I believe the total wild
population at the time was about 20 birds.  The birds were on a ranch feeding
on a carcass put out by the rancher.  The ranch was located a few miles north
of Mt Pinos (~ over the n) east of Highway 5 between LA and Bakersfield.

I was able to observe the birds for about 4 hours.  During that time a golden
eagle came in to feed also.  The condors backed away until the eagle left.
When the condors finally left at about 5 in the afternoon, they were out of
sight in just about two minutes.  The only wing flapping was at take off.
The ran down slope to take off.

The birds were about 1/2 mile from were we were watching so I was unable to
get photos.  I used a 55 power scope for observation.  Quite a thrill all in
all.

BTW: I attended an LA Audubon meeting where I was pointed out that one of
the main reasons for removing the remaining birds from the wild was lead
poisoning.  Even though cattle carcasses were placed out for birds, they
continued to feed on deer that were shot with lead bullets.  And this may be
a problem if they are ever returned to the wild.

   Marv Rubinstein

sandra@pyrtech (Sandra Macika) (07/24/90)

In article <45549@ism780c.isc.com> marv@ism780.UUCP (Marvin Rubenstein) writes:
>In article <120748@pyramid.pyramid.com> sandra@pyrtech.pyramid.com (Sandra Macika) writes:
>>Is there anyone who has actually see a California Condor in the wild?
>>(of course the siting would have to have been earlier than Easter 1987, when
>>the last Condor was brought into captivity)
>
>Yes.  I saw a group of 5 at one time.
>I was able to observe the birds for about 4 hours.

That sounds absolutely increadible!

>BTW: I attended an LA Audubon meeting where I was pointed out that one of
>the main reasons for removing the remaining birds from the wild was lead
>poisoning.  Even though cattle carcasses were placed out for birds, they
>continued to feed on deer that were shot with lead bullets.  And this may be
>a problem if they are ever returned to the wild.
>
>   Marv Rubinstein

Hopefully the development of copper bullets will eliminate this problem.
I spoke with Mike Wallace, curator of birds at the Los Angeles Zoo today.
He indicated that the bullets are so popular, that the only problem is
hunting shops can't keep them in stock! They still want to have an
Andean Condor ingest enough of the copper to ensure that it does not
have harmful side effects, but it seems to be a far cry better than
lead poisioning, which completely shuts down the bird's digestive system.

Mike told me that they hope to release some of the California Condors
in 1992 or 1993.

Thanks for the reply! I really appreciate it!

My speech is tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it went.

Sandra

grp@unify.uucp (Greg Pasquariello) (07/25/90)

I tried mailing to you but I it bounced...

In article <120748@pyramid.pyramid.com> sandra@pyrtech (Sandra Macika) writes:

>   I am taking a public speeking class, and am doing a Speech on the California
>   Condor. Is there anyone out there associated with the San Deigo Zoo or
>   LA Zoo that has current info about the Condor situation?
>
>   Is there anyone who has actually see a California Condor in the wild?
>   (of course the siting would have to have been earlier than Easter 1987, when
>   the last Condor was brought into captivity)

I have a close friend named Ed Treacy, who saw one of the last condors in
the wild.  If you are interested in writing to him, give me a call and
I will give you his address

>   Thanks in advance for the help!
>   Sandra

Greg Pasquariello 	(916) 920-9092 (work)
			(916) 333-2733 (home)
--

-Greg Pasquariello	grp@unify.com