[rec.birds] Heinzel vs. Bruun

s30986u@kaira.hut.fi (Martin Helin) (07/31/90)

JHiggott@axion.bt.co.uk writes:
>I prefer heinzel et al over Bruun et al although the latter has been greatly
>improved recently (including all new text).  The new plates in Bruun et al by
>Delin still contain inaccuracies.  They are both good guides though.

Of course it's a matter of opinion but I think Bruun et al (the latest
edition) is better by far. Its inaccuracies is nothing compared to (the
obsolete) Heinzel et al (attracting only because of its wide coverage
of species, although Birds of the Middle East and North Africa further
reduces its appeal). In Heinzel there's no way you can trust a plate
of almost any species, it might as well be misleading (or give no hints
as for the identification).

			Martin
Martin Helin	Helsinki University of Technology, Finland
Internet : 	mhe@otax.hut.fi
		s30986u@kaira.hut.fi