[rec.birds] Natural instinct ?

s30986u@kaira.hut.fi (Martin Helin) (08/02/90)

chuq@Apple.COM writes:
>Another long-term and invalid wive's tale. There have been a number of
>studies (I've read a couple of reports on them in the last 18 months) show
>it's complete bushwah. There are hummers that migrate and hummers that
>don't. They'll leave when it's time to leave (especially in the frost belt,
>where you have to worry about such things. Here in the Bay Area, where we
>don't get hard frosts, it frankly doesn't matter if they decide to not
>migrate, since they don't die off in the cold). Feed until they stop
>coming.

Do you know if this goes to other genera of birds also ?
This "tale" is widely accepted (without any scientific
support ?) here in Finland (regarding many finch species,
for example).
		Martin
Martin Helin	Helsinki University of Technology, Finland
Internet : 	mhe@otax.tky.hut.fi    s30986u@kaira.hut.fi
UUCP     :      uunet!kaira.hut.fi!s30986u