[rec.birds] Clipping wings

sbishop@desire.wright.edu (07/28/90)

I was told that clipping just one wing is better than clipping both.  With both
wings clipped they can still glide but one wing throws them badly off balance
and they have more trouble flying.

plemmons@nsf1.mth.msu.edu (Steve Plemmons) (07/30/90)

In article <936.26b173bd@desire.wright.edu> sbishop@desire.wright.edu writes:

>I was told that clipping just one wing is better than clipping both.  With both
>wings clipped they can still glide but one wing throws them badly off balance
>and they have more trouble flying.

Clipping only one wing is a real good way for your bird to get itself
hurt too.  I would always stick to symetric clipping.  I think you would
rather try to be a little more careful about open doors and windows that
having your friend crash and break a bone.

Good Luck,

Steve

Steve Plemmons                      plemmons@mth.msu.edu
Math Department                     plemmons@frith.egr.msu.edu
Michigan State University           21144smp@msu.bitnet

mm@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Mike Mahler) (07/31/90)

In article <936.26b173bd@desire.wright.edu>, sbishop@desire.wright.edu writes:

>I was told that clipping just one wing is better than clipping both.  With both
>wings clipped they can still glide but one wing throws them badly off balance
>and they have more trouble flying.

	This is not good advice.  Clipping just ONE of the wings WILL
	indeed cause the bird to have trouble flying and that's now
	the point of wing clipping.  The goal is to LIMIT flying ability
	(the ability to generate lift) so the bird can still control
	direction and buffet any drops from high ground.  Clipping one
	wing causes the bird to fly in circles and can break it's
	breast when landing hard.  It will also cause an imbalance
	in the muscle development of one wing as compared to the other.

mary@dinorah.wustl.edu (Mary E. Leibach) (07/31/90)

In article <936.26b173bd@desire.wright.edu>, sbishop@desire.wright.edu writes:

> I was told that clipping just one wing is better than clipping both.  With both
> wings clipped they can still glide but one wing throws them badly off balance
> and they have more trouble flying.

It throws them so badly off balance that they can't control their
flight.  Avian vets, particularly in Bird Talk, recommend clipping
both wings evenly.  And don't clip them too short, or they will not be
able to glide, and the feathers will not provide adequate support for
new feathers, possibly resulting in broken blood feathers.

I've posted my reasons for detesting wing clips here before, so I will
not bore the net repeating myself.  However, this weekend I had
another occasion to be thankful Cally (the Precocious Cockatiel (tm))
wasn't clipped.  She was climbing on her new play gym, misjudged a
beak hold, and fell.  Her wings saved her from a nasty fall and
potential injury.

If you HAVE to clip 'em, clip 'em right.  Otherwise, don't.  That's my
advice.  (And get an avian vet to do it.  Anything less, and you might
have as much cockatiel blood as I had to clean up.  I hope you never
do!)

	-Mary,
		and Cally the Precocious Cockatiel(tm),
		and Vila the Cudly Conure(tm),
		and Blake the Beautiful Budgie(tm),
		and Dayna and Del, the Fertile Finchies(tm),

	and introducing Blake's Babies(tm)!

	 Better known as      Blake's Birds(tm)!

	 Dedicated to the memory of the British SF show Blake's 7, and
	 the liberty and rights of pet birds!

sbishop@desire.wright.edu (08/01/90)

In article <1990Jul30.140835.25056@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, plemmons@nsf1.mth.msu.edu (Steve Plemmons) writes:
> In article <936.26b173bd@desire.wright.edu> sbishop@desire.wright.edu writes:
>>
>>I was told that clipping just one wing is better than clipping both.  With both
>>wings clipped they can still glide but one wing throws them badly off balance
>>and they have more trouble flying.
>
> Clipping only one wing is a real good way for your bird to get itself
> hurt too.  I would always stick to symetric clipping.  I think you would
> rather try to be a little more careful about open doors and windows that
> having your friend crash and break a bone.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Steve

I usually clip both wings myself but the advice on clipping one wing came from
the largest pet shop (and bird supplier) in the area.

As for being careful of open doors, I am, but when you are finger training a
parakeet you have to have wings clipped or you will NEVER catch them...

ron@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ron Miller) (08/01/90)

Wing clips

I've read that cockatiels are appropriately clipped assymetrically because
a symmetric cut *still* leaves them enough flying capability to be
trouble - they have a large amount of wing area. As for muscles,
clip the other wing next time. It won't be long.( Note- I  don't have
cockatiels.)

I have three amazons who live very nicely with clipped wings. One is
a dunce who falls off her perches and cages but always has a fairly
soft place to impact. When they have wings they have an attitude
problem. When they can't fly they have less of an attitude problem :-)

Learn to clip wings and toenails. It will prepare you for capturing
the bird to pluck a broken blood feather, or to apply styptic to
a cracked beak, or to inject antibiotics, or to rinse nostrils
with a syringe or to pluck a blood feather for feather sexing or
......  (well, you get the idea).

Slave to three masters,

ron

kdb@intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (08/01/90)

In article <1990Jul30.140835.25056@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>,
plemmons@nsf1.mth.msu.edu (Steve Plemmons) writes:
> I think you would
> rather try to be a little more careful about open doors and windows that
> having your friend crash and break a bone.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Steve

This is just not good advice.  I know of too many people who have lost birds
because they did not clip, or poorly clipped their birds.  The trick is to
leave enough feathers, but not too many.  Look for a video on this soon.

Birds have also been known to break their bones crashing into windows as
well.  So leaving their wings unclipped or poorly clipped is no solution.

Kurt
--
Kurt Baumann

kdb@intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (08/01/90)

In article <1990Jul30.174540.13335@dinorah.wustl.edu>, mary@dinorah.wustl.edu
(Mary E. Leibach) writes:
> In article <936.26b173bd@desire.wright.edu>, sbishop@desire.wright.edu writes:
> >
> > I was told that clipping just one wing is better than clipping both.  With both
> > wings clipped they can still glide but one wing throws them badly off balance
> > and they have more trouble flying.
>
> It throws them so badly off balance that they can't control their
> flight.  Avian vets, particularly in Bird Talk, recommend clipping
> both wings evenly.  And don't clip them too short, or they will not be
> able to glide, and the feathers will not provide adequate support for
> new feathers, possibly resulting in broken blood feathers.

Yes, please clip them evenly and evenly on both wings.  The problem is to
clip them at just the right length, so that they don't get a bit too much
lift in that glide and have it turn into a flight.  One of my Cockatiels
(the first one we hatched) got out the other day and made it out the open
door into a tree (we were in the process of moving).  Had his feathers been
a bit shorter he would not have made it out the door.

> I've posted my reasons for detesting wing clips here before, so I will
> not bore the net repeating myself.  However, this weekend I had
> another occasion to be thankful Cally (the Precocious Cockatiel (tm))
> wasn't clipped.  She was climbing on her new play gym, misjudged a
> beak hold, and fell.  Her wings saved her from a nasty fall and
> potential injury.

I just hope that we never see a posting from you that says "Gee, Cally just
flew out the window..."  It would be nice not to clip their wings, but on
the other hand how many times do you really think about that door being open,
or someone walking in at an inopportune moment?  Just be forwarned people
that bird relies on you for its food and housing.  Allowing it to "escape"
outside is most likly fatal to the bird.

> If you HAVE to clip 'em, clip 'em right.  Otherwise, don't.  That's my
> advice.  (And get an avian vet to do it.  Anything less, and you might
> have as much cockatiel blood as I had to clean up.  I hope you never
> do!)

Yes!  It also gives the vet a moment to take a look at the bird.  Sort of
a inpromptu vet check... :-)  But keep in mind you can learn how to clip
wings, it isn't any big secret.
--
Kurt Baumann

plemmons@nsf1.mth.msu.edu (Steve Plemmons) (08/01/90)

In article <26B5F8E3.49E6@intercon.com> kdb@intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) writes:
>In article <1990Jul30.140835.25056@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>,
>plemmons@nsf1.mth.msu.edu (Steve Plemmons) writes:
>> I think you would
>> rather try to be a little more careful about open doors and windows that
>> having your friend crash and break a bone.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Steve
>
>This is just not good advice.  I know of too many people who have lost birds
>because they did not clip, or poorly clipped their birds.  The trick is to
>leave enough feathers, but not too many.  Look for a video on this soon.
>
>Birds have also been known to break their bones crashing into windows as
>well.  So leaving their wings unclipped or poorly clipped is no solution.
>
>Kurt
>--
>Kurt Baumann

Please realize that I did not suggest not clipping at all.  I suggested
clipping symetrically or same on both sides.  The bird in question
walked through the door.  I was simply informing of the dangers of
clipping only one wing.  I think that the clip all depends on the bird
anyway and that is why one should talk to a vet and have them show you
the best clip for that bird and the best way to do it so not to hurt the
bird.  And then sometimes that doesn't work.  My vet at Michigan State
University clipped all flight primaries but three on both sides.  This
was not enough for my blue crowned conure, she is a extremely strong
flyer and could still get lift in this situation.  I then had to clip
two more from either side.  This left her flightless, but with enough
control to keep her out of trouble.

susans@cfi.COM (susans) (08/03/90)

In article <9720008@hpfcso.HP.COM> ron@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ron Miller) writes:
>Wing clips
>
>I've read that cockatiels are appropriately clipped assymetrically because
>a symmetric cut *still* leaves them enough flying capability to be
>trouble - they have a large amount of wing area. As for muscles,
>clip the other wing next time. It won't be long.( Note- I  don't have
>cockatiels.)

	Cockatiels reputedly are among the strongest of flyers.
	I can attest to this: my two can fly short distances with
	only one remaining flight feather.

	I don't go along with the asymetrical clip--one of my
	boys is an attack bird and WILL fly to attack anyone that
	gets too close to me.

	I keep them clipped VERY short because of this.

>I have three amazons who live very nicely with clipped wings. One is
>a dunce who falls off her perches and cages but always has a fairly
>soft place to impact. When they have wings they have an attitude
>problem. When they can't fly they have less of an attitude problem :-)

	My two birds also fall down--but they don't drop like stones
	like people are implying.  The spread out their wings and
	float down like paper planes--the remaining wing surface
	area is certainly large enough to protect them, unless they're
	incredibly dumb and just keep their wings clamped to their
	sides.

	My oldest has finally grasped the idea that he can't fly, but
	it has taken him 3 years to stop trying--and he's never been
	hurt.

	My baby is learning--but as soon as one flight feather comes
	in, he's back at it.

	I second the idea that they get attitude problems when
	fully-flighted.  I can tell when Flipper needs a clip
	because he starts to bite my cheek if I don't scratch
	him long enough whenever I contemplate letting his
	wings grow back.

	Arg.

	A comment to Ms. Blake--I think there's far more danger
	allowing cockatiels free-flight (unless you choose to live
	in a home with your windows and mirrors covered all the
	time--than there is of them "falling."  And could
	you PLEASE cut down your .signature file???

>Slave to three masters,

	Slave to FIVE,
--
                        Susan S. (susans@cfi.com)