[rec.birds] pet cockateil with diabetes

saari@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Susan J. Saari) (08/03/90)

My husband and I have a female cockateil that is about 5 years old.
She has recently been diagnosed as a diabetic.  Our vet who is
devoted to birds and treats many birds, has been trying to find out
more information on this condition in birds.  The treatment involves
daily injections of insulin for the rest of her life!!  Surely there
must be something else we can do. We are devoted to her ever since
she flew up to our ninth floor patio 4 years ago.  Knowing nothing
about birds, we learned from her.  She is a wonderful creature.

Would anybody be able to comment with additional information of any
kind?  Thanks for your help,

Sue

mm@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Mike Mahler) (08/03/90)

	The most recent issue of BirdTalk covered this exact topic.

--

	"And I'm hovering like a fly,
	waiting for the windshield on a freeway."  -Genesis (Peter Gabriel)

susans@cfi.COM (susans) (08/03/90)

In article <3376@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> saari@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Susan J. Saari) writes:

>My husband and I have a female cockateil that is about 5 years old.
>She has recently been diagnosed as a diabetic.

	Quick!   Go get this month's issue of Bird Talk.  It
	has a lengthy article on diabetes in birds.

>The treatment involves
>daily injections of insulin for the rest of her life!!  Surely there
>must be something else we can do.

	Not according to the article.  There was a touching story
	about a woman and her pet budgie who died from the
	disease because it was too late by the time she noticed
	the bird drinking copious amounts of water.

	Good luck to you!

--
                        Susan S. (susans@cfi.com)

                        Another Friend of Bill's

steveg@hpcvnb.CV.HP.COM (Steven_Grant) (08/03/90)

/ hpcvnb:rec.birds / saari@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Susan J. Saari) / 12:42 pm  Aug  2, 1990 /

>My husband and I have a female cockateil that is about 5 years old.
>She has recently been diagnosed as a diabetic.  Our vet who is
>devoted to birds and treats many birds, has been trying to find out
>more information on this condition in birds.  The treatment involves
>daily injections of insulin for the rest of her life!!  Surely there
>must be something else we can do. We are devoted to her ever since

I still remember thinking "surely there must be another way!" 20 years
ago when I was diagnosed with diabetes.  There is one other option.....
Death.  Yuk!  I know this sounds a bit harsh but these are the hard facts.
There is no cure (not yet anyway).  The injections are a way of life for
now on.  It's worth it...  Your bird will still give you the love you are
used to as long as keep her healthy with the insulin.

There is one other thing you can do......
Donate to the American Diabetes Association.  With your help they can
continue to work on a cure for us humans and your bird.
Sorry about the plug :-)

Steve
----------

freds@legs.UUCP (Fred Sieg) (08/03/90)

in article <3376@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, saari@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Susan J. Saari) says:

> My husband and I have a female cockateil that is about 5 years old.
> She has recently been diagnosed as a diabetic.  Our vet who is
>	[stuff deleted]
> Sue
 The latest issue of Bird Talk has a small article about bird diabetes.
Not a whole lot of info but a place to start.

I sympathise with your plight and wish you and your bird well.

About six issues back, Bird Talk also had an article on how to give
bird injections. Good magazine for bird families.

Fred

--
Fred Sieg 		|  uucp: ...!uunet!legs!freds
AST Research Inc.	|  Fax: (714) 727-9358 Tel: (714) 727-8465