[rec.birds] HEAD JERKING OF WALKING BIRD

arf@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Jack Schmidling) (07/28/90)

 Subject: Re: HEAD JERKING OF WALKING BIRDS

 I have a problem with Pnews here in that it makes it look
 like I want responses in email when I really want to discuss
 things on the net.

 The following is typical of the responses I got to the
 question I posed....

 >You realize, of course, that this is a violation of Federal
 law.

 >If it is one of the species you can legally possess, let
 me know, and I will comment on your behavioral questions.

 I fully accept the criminal nature of the act which I
 implicated myself in, but having watched a kestral snatch
 the first two fledglings off the nest in my bathoom window,
 I was in no mood to concern myself with the letter of the
 law.

 The most amusing response (excerpt above) was from someone
 who refused to even discuss the issue if the bird in
 question was a mourning dove.

 One responder suggested that the behavior was an adjustment
 for continually changing focal distance.  This seems like a
 reasonable answer but I can't help but wonder why these
 birds have such a limited depth of field.  One assumes that
 it must be on the order of 1/2 inch because that amount of
 head movement seems to put things right again.

 I suppose the answer lies in what fantastic things they must
 be able to see in that very restricted range.

 A few more experiments with the bird at arms length, seem to
 support the focus theory.  If I was very careful to make
 sure he could not see me, he did seem to jerk his head no
 matter which way he was facing.

 On a slightly different point,  is there really any way of
 knowing what a bird is looking at?   For example.....

 He will suddenly cock his head and look straight down at the
 floor and...........

 However, someone on the opposite side of the bird would
 swear that he was looking straight up in the air.

 ...... just heard the familiar wing beat and find Charlie in
 the bucket of sunflower hearts on the back porch.  For the
 past five days, he has left around dark and returns late in
 the morning to "visit".  Oh!  Oh! the doorbell....  must be
 the bird police.  Run Charlie!

 If you insist on sending email, please send to arf@gagme NOT
 to the address in this header.

john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) (07/29/90)

Jack Schmidling (arf@gagme) writes:
+--
| The following is typical of the responses I got to the
| question I posed....
|
| >You realize, of course, that this is a violation of Federal law.
+--

The federal Migratory Bird Treaty prohibits any individuals
from possessing wild native birds without a permit.
Introduced birds such as Rock Doves (park pigeons), European
Starling, Budgerigar, etc., are not included in this law.
(By the way, starlings make terrific cagebirds.)

+--
| I fully accept the criminal nature of the act which I
| implicated myself in, but having watched a kestral snatch
| the first two fledglings off the nest in my bathoom window,
| I was in no mood to concern myself with the letter of the
| law.
+--

Typical prejudice against birds of prey---the kestrel was
probably feeding young!  Raptors have to eat too.  No
smiley here---I'm not shy about being a predator fan;
a bumper sticker on my car reads, ``Save the Great White
Shark.''
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, NM/john@jupiter.nmt.edu
``Let's go outside and commiserate with nature.''  --Dave Farber

afsipmh@cid.aes.doe.CA (Patrick Hertel) (07/30/90)

In article <1990Jul28.033019.5059@ddsw1.MCS.COM> arf@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Jack Schmidling) writes:

> Subject: Re: HEAD JERKING OF WALKING BIRDS

 I believe that the head jerking is due to the fact that a bird's eye is
fixed and therefore it has to move its head to "refresh" its receptors.
It would explain why the head jerk is not necessary when the bird is carried
and looking off to the side.
--
Pat Hertel                 Canadian Meteorological Centre
Analyst/Programmer         2121 N. Service Rd.

chrish@videovax.tv.tek.com (Chris Hawes) (08/01/90)

> I believe that the head jerking is due to the fact that a bird's eye is
>fixed and therefore it has to move its head to "refresh" its receptors.
>It would explain why the head jerk is not necessary when the bird is carried
>and looking off to the side.
>--
>Pat Hertel                 Canadian Meteorological Centre

I'll buy that.  Pat, if that's "known" fact, it sure sounds like it.
Thanks for the best answer I've read so far on this question.  Does
anyone out there know about the difference in these walking bird
eye receptors as compared to non-walking bird eye receptors?

chris at Tektronix TV Meas. Sys.  "... We gotta move these color TV's"
						Dire Straights

keithl@loop.uucp (Keith Lofstrom;;;646-6296) (08/02/90)

I got here late; sorry if this has already been suggested:

Birds have small brains, and can't distinguish between their own motion and the
motion of the predators they are trying to avoid.   If you watch the head closely,
it holds still while the bird's body continues forward, then jerks forward to a
new fixed position.  This feeds a series of stationary images to the bird's brain,
and makes moving objects in the visual field more obvious.

Why doesn't a bird's head move when riding on a shoulder?  Birds didn't evolve
to ride on shoulders;  the built-in reflexes are wrong.

--
Keith Lofstrom  keithl@loop.uucp ...!sun!nosun!loop!keithl (503)628-3645
Design Contracting in Bipolar and CMOS - Analog, Digital, and Power ICs

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (08/06/90)

In article <1990Jul28.033019.5059@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, arf@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Jack Schmidling) writes:

>  I fully accept the criminal nature of the act which I
>  implicated myself in, but having watched a kestral snatch
>  the first two fledglings off the nest in my bathoom window,
>  I was in no mood to concern myself with the letter of the
>  law.

	What was it that you thought you were accomplishing?
It seems that there are two possible consequences of your action.
You deprive a kestrel of a meal and: (a) the kestrel, not being
able to nourish itself, dies. Now you have a dead kestrel rather
than a dead dove. Do you place an intrinsically higher value on
doves than kestrels? (b) the kestrel goes off and takes some other
bird. Now you have some other bird dead rather than a dead dove.
Are doves worth more than some other species? What if the other
bird taken was also a dove? Just what were you accomplishing?

>  One responder suggested that the behavior was an adjustment
>  for continually changing focal distance.  This seems like a
>  reasonable answer but I can't help but wonder why these
>  birds have such a limited depth of field.  One assumes that
>  it must be on the order of 1/2 inch because that amount of
>  head movement seems to put things right again.

	One of the best theories that I've heard is that the
bird does this to provide the parallax necessary to make
distance judgements. Animals with binocular vision, such as
people, view objects with both eyes at the same time. Since the
eyes are separated by some distance, the position of the object
with respect to the distant background is different in each eye.
This difference (parallax) is the way that we make accurate
judgements of the distance that the object is at. Birds with
monocular vision are viewing a distant object with only one eye.
They bob their heads back and forth to shift the position of
their eye in order to provide this parallax. Sounds logical anyway.

Mike

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (08/06/90)

In article <63474@oliveb.atc.olivetti.com> mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) writes:

>This difference (parallax) is the way that we make accurate
>judgements of the distance that the object is at. Birds with
>monocular vision are viewing a distant object with only one eye.
>They bob their heads back and forth to shift the position of
>their eye in order to provide this parallax. Sounds logical anyway.
>
>Mike

NO, NO, NO. As another poster to this thread has already
accurately observed, THE HEAD IS RENDERED ABSOLUTELY IMMOBILE
RELATIVE TO THE EARTH by the bird's "head bobbing" motion as it walks.
Look at it closely. I often have marvelled at just how totally motionless the
bird is able to hold its head as it walks. What an effective biological servo
control system this is!

Bob Davis              \\ INTERNET : sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
Harris Corporation, ESS \\    UUCP : ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
Advanced Technology Dept.\\ AETHER : K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\ VOICE : (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |
Melbourne, FL 32902        \\  FAX : (407) 729-2537 | FOR MYSELF.  |_________|

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (08/09/90)

In article <4082@trantor.harris-atd.com>, sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) writes:
> In article <63474@oliveb.atc.olivetti.com> mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) writes:
> >
> >This difference (parallax) is the way that we make accurate
> >judgements of the distance that the object is at. Birds with
> >monocular vision are viewing a distant object with only one eye.
> >They bob their heads back and forth to shift the position of
> >their eye in order to provide this parallax. Sounds logical anyway.
> >
> >Mike
> >
> NO, NO, NO. As another poster to this thread has already
> accurately observed, THE HEAD IS RENDERED ABSOLUTELY IMMOBILE
> RELATIVE TO THE EARTH by the bird's "head bobbing" motion as it walks.
> Look at it closely.

	NO, NO, NO! The bird can hold its head absolutely immobile
only in so far as it can stretch its neck. Once the neck is stretched
as far as it can go, if the bird continues walking, the head MUST
become mobile. Actually, the poster was differentiating between the
bird continuously moving its head back and forth while it stepped,
and holding the head stationary while it stepped and moving it
forward at the end of the step. No matter what the method, it has
no bearing on the idea that I put forth. However, here are some
references that I found concerning head bobbing.

Bent's Life Histories of North American Gallinaceous Birds

	On the Key West Quail-Dove, Audubon (1840) writes:

	"...and it moves its neck to and fro, forward and backward,
as pigeons are wont to do."

Bent's Life Histories of North American Blackbirds

	"The gait of the Brewer's Blackbird is usually a walk,
accompanied by short forward jerks of the head. When the bird runs
there is no jerk. Mulford (1936) outlines the process of taking
two walking steps as follows: '1. Head is thrust forward as one leg
and foot are lifted. This moves the center of balance forward.
2. Leg and foot are brought forward. 3. Head is pulled back as body
is brought forward by step and as foot is set down on ground.
4. The sequence of movements is repeated with other foot.' "

	On 30 Jul 90, Pat Hertel writes:

"I believe that the head jerking is due to the fact that a bird's eye
is fixed and therefore it has to move its head to "refresh" its
receptors."

	On 30 Jul 90, Gregory Bloom writes:

"I believe that birds eyes do not constantly wiggle to avoid saturating
the receptors (eye wiggle == nystigmus?) (sp), so when their heads are
still, images that don't move will quickly 'bleach-out' the receptors
they fall on."

	On 1 Aug 90, Keith Lofstrom writes:

"Birds have small brains, and can't distinguish between their own
motion and the motion of the predators they are trying to avoid."

	Now none of these gentlemen site any literary references
for the views expressed, so I don't know if these are accepted
theories of ornithology or not. However, I found the following
reference in "Watching Birds, an Introduction to Ornithology":

	"The size of various parts of a bird's brain reflects the
relative importance of the areas they control. The optic lobes,
related to vision, are large."

	"Birds can distinguish objects much farther away than can
humans, and their vision is in fact the most highly developed of
any animal."

	Now, it seems strange to me that a bird, with the most
highly developed vision in the animal world, would have a problem
"refreshing" its receptors (the same rods and cones that we have),
or having them "bleached-out", or distinguishing their own movement
from that of an external object. One final note from "Watching Birds,
an Introduction to Ornithology":

	"Most of the area a bird sees is perceived with only one
eye... A disadvantage to perceiving an object through only one eye
is the difficulty in judging distance, and for this reason you often
see a bird cock its head to carefully focus on an object; likewise,
the bobbing up and down of the head characteristic of many shorebirds
may be an effort to guage distances."

Mike

arf@gagme.chi.il.us (jack schmidling) (08/10/90)

 Article 1196 (2 more) in rec.birds:
 From: mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser)
 Newsgroups: rec.birds,sci.bio
 (SAME) Subject: Re: HEAD JERKING OF WALKING BIRD

 >       What was it that you thought you were accomplishing?

 ARF says:

 I can not tell a lie.  I grew up with visions of St Francis
 and came to realize they were BS so I tried to fool Mother
 Nature.

 However, there is another complication to factor in.  The
 kestral was one that I had rehabilitated several years ago.
 It broke its leg when it first left the nest.  I recovered
 it, splinted the leg and hand-raised it.  {Right, that is
 against the law too.}

 So now we have a dove that is alive because I saved it from
 a kestral that is alive because is set its broken leg.

 But do not forget, that come November, I can shoot the dove
 and eat it with impunity.

 You figure it out.  I quit.

 arf

andrewt@cs.su.oz (Andrew Taylor) (08/11/90)

From "The Life of Birds" by Welty:

"Doves, gallinaceous birds and rails normally accompany each walking step
with a sudden forward jerk of the head. The head then remains fixed in
space as the body moves forward until the next step is taken. This
permits sharper vision than would otherwise be possible, for a steadily
moving head can not see objects - expecially other moving objects -
as clearly as can a head fixed in space (Stresemann, 1927-1934).

Motion picture analyses by Bangert(1960) of the head and leg movents of the
the domestic Chicken, Gallus gallus, showed that the two movements are
strictly co-orddibated and in a rhythm of a about 2.2 to 3 cycles per second.
If a bird is passively carried foward legs free from the ground, so that
its retinal images will shift, the head will bob to and fro, along with
perfectly coordinated leg movements. if the stimulus of shifting retinal images
is prevented by ground-glass spectacles, the head still swings to and fro
whenever the bird walks. The innate nature of both head and leg movements
was established with newly hatched chicks reared in compleete darkness."

I'd recommend The Life of Birds to anyone interested in a gaining a deeper
knowledge about birds. I believe its commonly used as a university textbook.

Andrew

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (08/14/90)

> In article <63474@oliveb.atc.olivetti.com> mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) writes:
>
> This difference (parallax) is the way that we make accurate
> judgements of the distance that the object is at. Birds with
> monocular vision are viewing a distant object with only one eye.
> They bob their heads back and forth to shift the position of
> their eye in order to provide this parallax. Sounds logical anyway.

	Well, I found a reference that disputes the idea about distance
judgement. It is in "Bird Behavior" by Robert Burton.

	"Birds other than owls have to judge distances by a number
of tricks,... Bobbing the head gives views from different angles and
makes objects move in relation to the horizon so their position can
be judged."

	"When pigeons and peacocks walk, they nod their heads to and
fro, but this has a fifferent function from head bobbing. They are
stabilizing the head, throwing it forward then keeping it steady while
the body moves up. With the head steady, the eyes are better able to
pick out tiny objects and slight movements."

Mike

In article <641@gagme.chi.il.us>, arf@gagme.chi.il.us (jack schmidling) writes:

>  But do not forget, that come November, I can shoot the dove
>  and eat it with impunity.

	Come November, you may be able to shoot the dove and eat it
with the PROPER PERMIT. You also may be able to remove the dove or
kestrel from its nest and raise them with the PROPER PERMIT. However,
you can do neither with impunity.

Mike