[rec.birds] red tailed hawk - subspecies thereof

J.M.Spencer@newcastle.ac.uk (J.M. Spencer) (08/14/90)

I am researching the redtailed hawk _Buteo jamaicensis_.  A number of works
from early this century have defined various subspecies of the redtail.
For example, in "A Study of _Buteo borealis_, the redtailed hawk, and its
varieties in Canada" (Museum Bulletin no. 48, Nov 1927, Canada Dept of
Mines) the following are identified:-

_Buteo borealis borealis_   (Gmelin), Eastern Redtailed hawk
_Buteo borealis calurus_    (Cassin), Western redtailed hawk
_Buteo borealis krideri_    Hoopes, Krider's hawk
_Buteo borealis harlani_    (Audubon), Harlan's hawk
_Butoe borealis alascensis_ Grinell, Alaska redtailed hawk

Arthur Bent ("Life Histories of North American Birds of Prey") also
identifies a similar number of subspecies.  I have also seen people
refer to Harlan's hawks in rec.birds.

My question is this, how many species of redtail are currently
recognised, and what are they called?  My interest is that I am
a falconer flying a redtail whose parents were imported from
Canada and looks like one of Bent's Eastern redtails.  Most other
redtails in the UK are larger, much darker (sooty), and have *much*
bigger feet.  I believe them to be Western redtails.

Any comments welcome.

Sender : Jonathan M Spencer
Mail   : Computing Lab, University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE1 7RU, UK
Phone  : +91 222 8229
ARPA   : J.M.Spencer%newcastle.ac.uk@cs.ucl.ac.uk
JANET  : J.M.Spencer@uk.ac.newcastle
UUCP   : !ukc!newcastle.ac.uk!J.M.Spencer

sandee@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (Daan Sandee) (08/15/90)

In article <1990Aug14.130118.20027@newcastle.ac.uk> J.M.Spencer@newcastle.ac.uk (J.M. Spencer) writes:
>I am researching the redtailed hawk _Buteo jamaicensis_.
>
>My question is this, how many species of redtail are currently
>recognised, and what are they called?

The modern taxonomic authority is the American Ornithological Union (AOU)
"Check-list of the Birds of North America", Sixth Edition, 1983.
The AOU recognizes (sic; this is how THEY spell the word) only one Red-tailed
Hawk, B. jamaicensis. The Harlan's hawk (B. (j.) harlani) was lumped with
B. jamaicensis as of the 33rd Supplement (1973) to the Fifth Edition (1957).
The 1983 Checklist does not list subspecies any more (too much work, they say).
The Fifth Edition listed,
 B.j. borealis    - the archetypical Eastern Red-tail. Dark above, light
                    below, belly-band, patagial marks, red tail in adult.
                    This is the one I saw from my office window yesterday.
 B.j. calurus     - the common Western subspecies, very variable - reddish,
                    light-colored, and very dark-colored morphs occur.
 B.j. krideri     - "Krider's Hawk", of the Plains states, very pale, often
                    confused with Ferruginous Hawk
 B.j. alascensis  - Alaska
 B.j. umbrinus    - Central and South Florida
 B.j. fuertesi    - Mexican border
 B.(j.) harlani   - "Harlan's hawk", dark, nests in Alaska and British
                    Columbia, winters in the Plains states.

Daan Sandee                                           sandee@sun16.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052  (904) 644-7045

bob@delphi.uchicago.edu (Robert S. Lewis, Jr.) (08/15/90)

In article <399@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> sandee@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (Daan Sandee) writes:
>In article <1990Aug14.130118.20027@newcastle.ac.uk> J.M.Spencer@newcastle.ac.uk (J.M. Spencer) writes:
>>I am researching the redtailed hawk _Buteo jamaicensis_.
>>
>>My question is this, how many species of redtail are currently
>>recognised, and what are they called?
>
>The modern taxonomic authority is the American Ornithological Union (AOU)
>"Check-list of the Birds of North America",
>The Fifth Edition listed,
> B.j. borealis    - the archetypical Eastern Red-tail. Dark above, light
>                    below, belly-band, patagial marks, red tail in adult.
>                    This is the one I saw from my office window yesterday.
> B.j. calurus     - the common Western subspecies, very variable - reddish,
>                    light-colored, and very dark-colored morphs occur.
> B.j. krideri     - "Krider's Hawk", of the Plains states, very pale, often
>                    confused with Ferruginous Hawk
> B.j. alascensis  - Alaska
> B.j. umbrinus    - Central and South Florida
> B.j. fuertesi    - Mexican border
> B.(j.) harlani   - "Harlan's hawk", dark, nests in Alaska and British
>                    Columbia, winters in the Plains states.

Clark and Wheeler's Field Guide to Hawks only mentions six subspecies
(alascensis is missing).  They say, however, that North American
red-tails generally can be divided into seven types:

1. Medium brown birds, light below, with dark belly band and red tail:
this is typical of the Eastern and Florida subspecies.

2. Darker brown birds with red-tails, somewhat darker below than
typical eastern birds.  These are typical of the western race.

3. Very dark birds, nearly black or sooty on the back and  dark below with
red tails--typical dark morph of the Western race.

4.  Dark birds, generally very reddish overall.  Typical rufous morphs
of the western race.

5.  Dark brown above, nearly pure white below:  Fuertesi race.

6.  Very pale all over, with white or pale pinkish tail.  Krider's
form.

7.  Very dark, sooty birds with whitish tails.  Harlan's form.

I've listed these characteristics from memory, so there may be a few
innaccuracies. I encourage everyone to refer to Clark and Wheeler to
confirm the details.

Rob Lewis

grp@unify.uucp (Greg Pasquariello) (08/15/90)

In article <1990Aug14.130118.20027@newcastle.ac.uk> J.M.Spencer@newcastle.ac.uk (J.M. Spencer) writes:

>   I am researching the redtailed hawk _Buteo jamaicensis_.  A number of works
>   from early this century have defined various subspecies of the redtail.
>   For example, in "A Study of _Buteo borealis_, the redtailed hawk, and its
>   varieties in Canada" (Museum Bulletin no. 48, Nov 1927, Canada Dept of
>   Mines) the following are identified:-
>
>   _Buteo borealis borealis_   (Gmelin), Eastern Redtailed hawk
>   _Buteo borealis calurus_    (Cassin), Western redtailed hawk
>   _Buteo borealis krideri_    Hoopes, Krider's hawk
>   _Buteo borealis harlani_    (Audubon), Harlan's hawk
>   _Butoe borealis alascensis_ Grinell, Alaska redtailed hawk
>
>   Arthur Bent ("Life Histories of North American Birds of Prey") also
>   identifies a similar number of subspecies.  I have also seen people
>   refer to Harlan's hawks in rec.birds.
>
>   My question is this, how many species of redtail are currently
>   recognised, and what are they called?  My interest is that I am
>   a falconer flying a redtail whose parents were imported from
>   Canada and looks like one of Bent's Eastern redtails.  Most other
>   redtails in the UK are larger, much darker (sooty), and have *much*
>   bigger feet.  I believe them to be Western redtails.
>
>   Any comments welcome.

According to _A Complete Checklist of Birds of the World_, 1980, there are
14 recognized subspecies of the Red-tailed Hawk, Buteo jamaicensis:

B. j. borealis:		Eastern NA to N Mexico
B. j. calurus:		Western NA >> Central America
B. j. harlani:		Northern British Columbia, N Alberta >> S Central US
B. j. alascensis:	SE Alaska
B. j. kriderii:		SC Canada, NC US >> S USA
B. j. fuertesi:		SW USA, NW Mexico
B. j. umbrinus:		S Florida, Bahamas
B. j. hadropus:		N to SC Mexico
B. j. soccoroensis:	Soccoro Island
B. j. fumosus:		Tres Marias Island
B. j. solitudinus:	Cuba, Isle of Pines
B. j. jamaicensis:	Jamaica, Hispanola, Puerto Rico
B. j. kiemsiesi:	S Mexico to Nicaragua.
B. j. costaricencis:	Costa Rica, W Panama

The '>>' denotes winter range if substantially different from breeding range.

It is important to note that arbitrarily assigning a particular bird to
a subspecies is somewhat difficult.  Indeed, there is often contention as
to what is recognized as a subspecies, and even disagreement about what
belongs in the full species!  For a while, B. j. harlani was know as Harlan's
Hawk, a full species, recognized by it's dirty white tail.  I believe B. j.
kriderii was also a full species at one time, and is easily recognizable by
it's whitish upperparts and pale red tail; it looks very similar to an
immature Ferruginous Hawk (B. regalis - love that name).

It sounds to me like your hunch is correct.  The eastern bird is very
fairly light, and cleanly patterned, while western red-tails are often
dark, and even light phase birds are much more richly colored.

Hope this helps.

--

-Greg Pasquariello	grp@unify.com