[rec.birds] HUMMINGBIRD WARNING

jackiec@hprmokg.HP.COM (Jackie Christopherson) (07/31/90)

       After reading some of the postings about Hummingbirds, I feel
       compelled to enter this warning.

       I think it's super that so many people want to feed the little
       darlins, but a year or so ago, a friend showed me an article
       about how and when to feed.  (I too, get great enjoyment out of
       watching them at my feeder.)

       The article stated that if you feed these birds "sugar water",
       you are giving them something that will *soften* their bills...
       this ovbiously could be disasterious in the long run.  I now get
       the feed mixture at my local pet store.  I read the article in
       some authoritative magazine.  Will continue to look for it.

       Also, it is great to feed the birds in the Springtime, but not
       towards the Fall because if they think there is food for them,
       they will ignore their natural instinct to go to warmer weather
       in the winter...this also could be disasterous.

       I hope I don't offend anyone with this news, but after all, we're
       all in this group because we want the best for our fine feathered
       friends!

       JC

szafrans@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Pamela Kay) (08/01/90)

{Warning about messing with natural instincts deleted}

The only hummers I have experience with are the ones my
family feeds ...but

The hummingbirds that feed at our feeders arrive *promptly* on
April 25 each year for the last 6 years, and depart *promptly*
on September 6.  Sort of the Indiana version of the Hinkley, OH
Buzzards :) (thought I was going to say swallows didnt you :)

The birds are very persistent creatures during the year.  If the
feeder becomes empty (or low) these birds have been known to
straif members of our family until the feeders have been refilled.
They have also been observed to sit on the outside windowsill
peering in at us, looking for victims to dive-bomb when the feeders
are empty.  Quickly refilling feeders makes them very happy.

Pam

przybyls@hpavla.AVO.HP.COM (Tom Przybylski) (08/01/90)

     I just called Tri-State Bird Rescue & Research in Delaware after
reading this to check on whether you should remove the feeders at the
end of summer.  They said YES, you should stop feeding them at about
the beginning of August.

     I didn't ask about the sugar water thing (I forgot), but the advice
of the local Audbon bird columnist in the local paper is to use sugar
water (1 part sugar/ 5 parts water, change every 5 days) and not waste
your money on the mixes.  Also, don't use any food coloring.  The same
instructions came with the Droll Yankee hummingbird feeder.  I sure
would be interested in references or more information on problems with
feeding sugar water.  Perhaps someone could post an excerpt from such
a reference?

     Guess the feeder comes down this weekend.  Thanks for the tip.

- Tom Przybylski
przybyls@hpavla.HP.COM

sandra@pyrtech (Sandra Macika) (08/01/90)

In article <32320003@hprmokg.HP.COM> jackiec@hprmokg.HP.COM (Jackie Christopherson) writes:

>       Also, it is great to feed the birds in the Springtime, but not
>       towards the Fall because if they think there is food for them,
>       they will ignore their natural instinct to go to warmer weather
>       in the winter...this also could be disasterous.
>
>       JC

Doesn't this depend on where you live? Here in the San Francisco Bay Area,
I think the hummingbirds stay around all year long.

Sandra

chuq@Apple.COM (Smile when you say that) (08/02/90)

jackiec@hprmokg.HP.COM (Jackie Christopherson) writes:

>       The article stated that if you feed these birds "sugar water",
>       you are giving them something that will *soften* their bills...

Interesting. Sounds like an advertisement for a commercial mix (which is, if
you look at the ingredients of the commercial mixes, primarily sugar water.
It may use different forms of sugar than white sucrose, but it's still
sugar. So, for that matter, is nectar.

This article also flies pretty heavily in the face of most research I've
seen and many years of experience by many hummingbird enthusiasts.

>       I now get
>       the feed mixture at my local pet store.

See? it worked.

>I read the article in
>       some authoritative magazine.  Will continue to look for it.

I'd love to see the reference. One article, authoritative magazine or no,
doesn't mean it's true, especially when there isn't a body of evidence to
back it up. There are a LOT of wive's tales in hummingbird feeding, and many
of them get propogated without a lot of thought and research.

There is, in fact, some research indicating the red dye in those commercial
mixes is in fact dangerous to the hummers. So swapping to the commercial mix
might be making things worse.

I don't see how this can be backed by the facts. Sucrose and water or
fructose and water -- there isn't a lot of practical difference, and I don't
see how swapping in sucrose can, physiologically, do this. Someone with a
better feel for current scientific research who wants to correct me, feel
free, but I don't buy this one bit.

>       Also, it is great to feed the birds in the Springtime, but not
>       towards the Fall because if they think there is food for them,
>       they will ignore their natural instinct to go to warmer weather
>       in the winter...this also could be disasterous.

Another long-term and invalid wive's tale. There have been a number of
studies (I've read a couple of reports on them in the last 18 months) show
it's complete bushwah. There are hummers that migrate and hummers that
don't. They'll leave when it's time to leave (especially in the frost belt,
where you have to worry about such things. Here in the Bay Area, where we
don't get hard frosts, it frankly doesn't matter if they decide to not
migrate, since they don't die off in the cold). Feed until they stop
coming.

--
Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

We tend to idealize tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested
with losers and nut cases -- Patrick Nielsen Hayden

REEDANDR@MIAMIU.BITNET (Reed Anderson) (08/03/90)

I can corroborate the observations regarding the effects that feeding
hummingbirds late into the fall is not likely to have any effect on
their migration.  We've been charting arrivals and departures of our
ruby throats for the last four years, and they are extraordinarily
punctual.  We leave the feeder full in the fall, assuming that they
are "loading up" for their incredible journey and at this point we've
begun to feel -- accurately or not -- tht it is important for them to
have this convenient source of food until the moment they leave.
Are we kidding ourselves?  All I know is that the feeder hangs un-
used for at least a week or ten days before we take it down for the
winter.  It's interesting to hear other insights on these habits.

mark@sco.COM (Mark Chojnacki) (08/03/90)

In article <121930@pyramid.pyramid.com> sandra@pyrtech.pyramid.com (Sandra Macika) writes:
>In article <32320003@hprmokg.HP.COM> jackiec@hprmokg.HP.COM (Jackie Christopherson) writes:
>>

>>       Also, it is great to feed the birds in the Springtime, but not
>>       towards the Fall because if they think there is food for them,
>>       they will ignore their natural instinct to go to warmer weather
>>       in the winter...this also could be disasterous.
>>
>>       JC
>
>Doesn't this depend on where you live? Here in the San Francisco Bay Area,
>I think the hummingbirds stay around all year long.
>
>Sandra

mark@sco.COM (Mark Chojnacki) (08/03/90)

In article <121930@pyramid.pyramid.com> sandra@pyrtech.pyramid.com (Sandra Macika) writes:
>In article <32320003@hprmokg.HP.COM> jackiec@hprmokg.HP.COM (Jackie Christopherson) writes:
>>
>>       Also, it is great to feed the birds in the Springtime, but not
>>       towards the Fall because if they think there is food for them,
>>       they will ignore their natural instinct to go to warmer weather
>>       in the winter...this also could be disasterous.
>>
>>       JC
>
>Doesn't this depend on where you live? Here in the San Francisco Bay Area,
>I think the hummingbirds stay around all year long.
>
>Sandra

Anna's Hummingbird (the commonest hummingbird around homes and gardens in the
Bay area) is mostly sedentary. Many other hummingbird species in North
America are not (including several which occur in Northern California).
In fact, some populations of Anna's do migrate. They move NORTH in winter.
Yep, you read that right. :-) Anna's Hummingbird is known to move north in
fall into parts of Washington state and British Columbia (particularly
Vancouver Island).

In Northern California, two common migratory species are Allen's Hummingbird
(commonest in coastal areas and near-coast mountain ranges) and Rufous
Hummingbird (occurs throughout the state and eastwards towards the Rocky
Mountains). Other species include Black-chinned and Calliope (the smallest
hummer for both the U.S. and Canada).

As you can probably tell, I'm a bit of a fan of hummers. This spring I
went on a birding trip to Southern California and Arizona (saw 9 species
of hummers!). Also, the nodename for the 386 box on my desk here at
SCO Canada is called "troch" (short for Trochilidae: the latin family
name for the hummingbirds).

And now a challenge: has anybody on the net seen more than 12 species of
hummingbirds in North America (U.S. and Canada)? I'm curious to find out
if there are any other listers out there...

Mark Chojnacki, Network Applications, SCO Canada, Inc. (416) 922-1937
mark@sco.com                          (formerly HCR Corporation)
or ..!uunet!scocan!mark               Toronto, Ontario, Canada

grp@unify.uucp (Greg Pasquariello) (08/05/90)

In article <32320003@hprmokg.HP.COM> jackiec@hprmokg.HP.COM (Jackie Christopherson) writes:

>	  After reading some of the postings about Hummingbirds, I feel
>	  compelled to enter this warning.
>
>	  I think it's super that so many people want to feed the little
>	  darlins, but a year or so ago, a friend showed me an article
>	  about how and when to feed.  (I too, get great enjoyment out of
>	  watching them at my feeder.)
>
>	  The article stated that if you feed these birds "sugar water",
>	  you are giving them something that will *soften* their bills...
>	  this ovbiously could be disasterious in the long run.  I now get
>	  the feed mixture at my local pet store.  I read the article in
>	  some authoritative magazine.  Will continue to look for it.
>
>	  JC

I don't see any major difference between sugar water and nectar.  I have heard
though, that keeping the sugar water mixture around too long (i.e. not keeping
it fresh), promotes the growth of a fungus that attacks the bird's tongue.
--

-Greg Pasquariello	grp@unify.com

andrewt@cs.su.oz (Andrew Taylor) (08/07/90)

In article <90214.134303REEDANDR@MIAMIU.BITNET> REEDANDR@MIAMIU.BITNET
(Reed Anderson) writes:
>I can corroborate the observations regarding the effects that feeding
>hummingbirds late into the fall is not likely to have any effect on
>their migration.  [observations of ruby-throats]

Don't Anna's(?) Hummingbirds now overwinter in Vancouver way north of
the former winter range? This would suggest either feeding or maybe exotic
plants has changed their habits.

Andrew

HYD@psuvm.psu.edu (08/07/90)

There is a major difference between nectar and sugar-water. Plants which are
pollenated by birds tend to produce large amounts of strong nectar which has
a relativily large amount of protien in it. Hummers also feed on small insects,
but I haven't seen anything written on how much of their protien intake comes
from nectar and how much comes from insects. Anyway, if nectar is an important
source of protien for the birds then sugar-water solutions may cause nutrition-
al problems for the birds. These problems could manifest themselves as bill-
softening or in more difficult to spot ways.

                                            Paul

john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) (08/08/90)

HYD@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
+--
| There is a major difference between nectar and sugar-water.
| Plants which are pollinated by birds tend to produce large
| amounts of strong nectar which has a relativily large amount
| of protein in it.  Hummers also feed on small insects, but I
| haven't seen anything written on how much of their protein
| intake comes from nectar and how much comes from insects.
+--

I have seen several literature reference on this; sorry I
can't recall where, but try Bent's _Life_Histories_ or
Ehrlich's _Birder's_Handbook_.  I recall reading that about
25% of the total food intake of hummers was from insects.  I
don't believe that the protein intake from nectar is
significant.

I have never heard anything about bill softening, or protein
in nectar, anywhere but in your postings.  I would be most
interested to see any references.
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, NM/john@jupiter.nmt.edu
``Let's go outside and commiserate with nature.''  --Dave Farber

john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) (08/15/90)

Mark Chojnacki (mark@sco.com) writes:
+--
| And now a challenge: has anybody on the net seen more
| than 12 species of hummingbirds in North America (U.S.
| and Canada)?
+--

Sure, I've got 13: Berylline, Lucifer, Broad-billed,
Violet-crowned, Blue-throated, Magnificent, Ruby-throated,
Black-chinned, Anna's, Calliope, Broad-tailed, Rufous, and
Allen's.  I have 9 of those in New Mexico.

My favorite hummer-watching spots are in Arizona, at the
Santa Rita Lodge in Madera Canyon (Berylline) and the
Spofford Ranch in Portal (Lucifer).  I could probably get
White-eared and Costa's if I had time to chase rarities;
there have been a flurry of White-eared reports from Ramsey
Canyon for the last month or so, and I know some spots where
Costa's can allegedly be found.
--

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (08/16/90)

In article <1990Aug3.101449.13726@sco.COM>, mark@sco.COM (Mark Chojnacki) writes:

> And now a challenge: has anybody on the net seen more than 12 species of
> hummingbirds in North America (U.S. and Canada)? I'm curious to find out
> if there are any other listers out there...

	Well, I guess that I can't qualify as a lister because I
only have 12 species in North America.  :-)  They are: Buff Bellied,
Broad Billed, Blue Throated, Magnificent, Ruby Throated, Black Chinned,
Costa's, Anna's, Calliope, Broad Tailed, Rufous, and Allen's. I've
seen seven of these species in California.

Mike

In article <49278@olivea.atc.olivetti.com>, mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) writes:

> 	Well, I guess that I can't qualify as a lister because I
> only have 12 species in North America.  :-)  They are: Buff Bellied,
> Broad Billed, Blue Throated, Magnificent, Ruby Throated, Black Chinned,
> Costa's, Anna's, Calliope, Broad Tailed, Rufous, and Allen's. I've
> seen seven of these species in California.

	Man, am I losing it! While paging through my field guide
and listing hummingbirds, I forgot about the biggest one of all,
the one that isn't listed in the field guide: Xantu's Hummingbird
in Ventura (first North American record). This makes 13 in North
America and 8 in California. Oh boy! I guess that I do qualify.

Mike

p.s. The Xantu's Hummingbird has just been added to the ABA checklist.

sandee@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (Daan Sandee) (08/16/90)

>.....  I could probably get
>White-eared and Costa's if I had time to chase rarities;
>there have been a flurry of White-eared reports from Ramsey
>Canyon for the last month or so, and I know some spots where
>Costa's can allegedly be found.

Costa's a rarity? Come on - it's all over the place in California. And I
had one this may in California Gulch which is not in California but in
Arizona.
I've got 11 species myself (after counting more carefully - first I forgot
a species then I found I couldn't count - sorry Mark). All hummingbirds
that occur regularly in the U.S. except Calliope. 8 on my Arizona trip.
I have to go back there for a shot at the *real* rarities sometime.

Daan Sandee                                           sandee@sun16.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052  (904) 644-7045

levine@lia ( Ken Levine) (08/17/90)

	Hand-fed 1 year old umbrella Cockatoo for sale:

	We are going to have to sell our one year old Umbrella Cockatto,
	due to personal circumstances.  She is a domestic, hand fed,
	extremely tame large bird, who loves to be kissed and hugged, loves
	to sit quietly with people (even strangers), and will keep you
	entertained for hours at a time with her antics.

	We are looking for serious pet owners, preferably ones who would
	be able to treat her as "queen bird", i.e., who do not have a lot
	of other birds at this time.

	We will sell her alone, or with a large  cage (2'x2'x5', with
	playpen on top), along with several toys, etc.

	We are located in SF.  Please contact Ken or Alex at (415) 929-8737.