[rec.birds] INDOOR: Conure Question

ulmer@plains.NoDak.edu (Saltine Cracker) (08/20/90)

I recently saw some Mitered Conures on sale for $99.00 each at
a Local Pet Store (Pet Land); They looked to be in excellent shape and
rather large for the money. Can someone give some background on
this type of Conure as far as Pets go. I also have 2 cockateils and
was wondering if they would generally get along in the same large cage.

mm@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Mike Mahler) (08/20/90)

In article <5607@plains.NoDak.edu>, ulmer@plains.NoDak.edu (Saltine Cracker) writes:
> I recently saw some Mitered Conures on sale for $99.00 each at
> a Local Pet Store (Pet Land);

	Make sure you get a guarantee of health.

> They looked to be in excellent shape and
> rather large for the money.

	Check their health.  Pet shops will put "on sale" birds
	that aren't healthy or have bad plumage.

> Can someone give some background on
> this type of Conure as far as Pets go.

	I've owned one.
	They are LOUD, powerful flyers and are very nippy.  They
	don't talk very well and chew hard wood with ease.

> I also have 2 cockateils and
> was wondering if they would generally get along in the same large cage.

	Mine didn't and I haven't seen one that did.  They are
	very territorial.