[rec.birds] Hummingbird lists

dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu (David Mark) (08/21/90)

In article <49278@olivea.atc.olivetti.com> mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) writes:
>In article <1990Aug3.101449.13726@sco.COM>, mark@sco.COM (Mark Chojnacki) writes:
>>
>> And now a challenge: has anybody on the net seen more than 12 species of
>> hummingbirds in North America (U.S. and Canada)? I'm curious to find out
>> if there are any other listers out there...
>
>	Well, I guess that I can't qualify as a lister because I
>only have 12 species in North America.  :-)  They are: Buff Bellied,
>Broad Billed, Blue Throated, Magnificent, Ruby Throated, Black Chinned,
>Costa's, Anna's, Calliope, Broad Tailed, Rufous, and Allen's. I've
>seen seven of these species in California.
>
>Mike

I have seen all of the above in the USA, plus White-eared and Lucifer  (I think
that's all-- my actual lists are at home.)  I have never been to Arizona
late enough in the season to see Violet-crowned, but I gather it is easy
in July.  So, I would guess that 14 species is not that big a hummer
list (same as me, but with Violet-crowned instead of White-eared).

I would assume that some people have seen 17, and 18 or 19 would not shock me.

But can any subscriber here top 14 species?  John Shipman *lives* in
hummer-land, so he would be a good candidate.

David Mark
dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu

dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu (David Mark) (08/21/90)

Some Hummingbird Numbers:

22   The number of species of hummingbirds on the ABA (USA + Canada)
     Checklist, now that Xantus' has been added.

16   The number of hummingbird species "which regularly occur north of the
     Mexican border" in North America, according to the ABA's "Traveler's
     List and Check List"

15   The number of hummingbird species seen in the US in 1979 by Jim Vardaman
     as part of his 1979 "Big Year" record (since broken) of 699 species.
     (All the "regulars" except Berylline.)  (Source: "Call Collect and Ask
     for Birdman" by Jim Vardaman.)

14   My ABA-area hummingbird species life-time total.  (All of the regulars
     except Berylline and Violet-crowned.)

 8   The single-DAY record for hummingbird species, set in Ramsey Canyon and
     the Huachuca, southeast Arizona, April 25 1979, by Benton Basham, Jon
     Dunn, Stephen Dresman, Joe Taylor, and Jim Tucker.  (Source: "The
     Pettingell Book of Birding Records".)

 0   The number of hummingbirds I have ever seen in my yard!

David Mark
dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu

sandee@sun16 (Daan Sandee) (08/21/90)

In article <33215@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu (David Mark) writes:
>22   The number of species of hummingbirds on the ABA (USA + Canada)
>     Checklist, now that Xantus' has been added.
You beat me to it. I researched the subject last night, and had intended to
supply the information today. I have the usual problem of not having my
birding library and my computer in the same place.
The AOU lists 21 species - they don't recognize Cuban Emerald or Xantus',
but list Rufous-tailed (one record in Brownsville, TX ; haven't chased it
down yet to see why ABA doesn't recognize it).

>16   The number of hummingbird species "which regularly occur north of the
>     Mexican border" in North America, according to the ABA's "Traveler's
>     List and Check List"
Also deSante & Pyle, who also list Rufous-tailed, so it must be a post-1935
record.
It's a subjective matter, though ; I readily concede Violet-crowned, and
Lucifer and White-eared are annual, but I have my doubts about Berylline.

>15   The number of hummingbird species seen in the US in 1979 by Jim Vardaman
>     as part of his 1979 "Big Year" record (since broken) of 699 species.
>     (All the "regulars" except Berylline.)  (Source: "Call Collect and Ask
>     for Birdman" by Jim Vardaman.)
Aha! I can beat that! Steve Perry, in "The Loonatic Journals", claims 17
species in his Big Year 1987 (which topped out at 711).

>14   My ABA-area hummingbird species life-time total.  (All of the regulars
>     except Berylline and Violet-crowned.)
> 8   The single-DAY record for hummingbird species, set in Ramsey Canyon and
>     the Huachuca, southeast Arizona, April 25 1979, by Benton Basham, Jon
>     Dunn, Stephen Dresman, Joe Taylor, and Jim Tucker.  (Source: "The
>     Pettingell Book of Birding Records".)
We can safely assume that Basham also has the ABA area lifetime record.

> 0   The number of hummingbirds I have ever seen in my yard!

Same here. Also, species seen in home state (FL) : 1.
Although some strays turn up at Tallahassee feeders each winter, and are
variously described as Rufous, Allen's, Anna's, or Broad-tailed.

>David Mark
>dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu

Daan Sandee                                           sandee@sun16.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052  (904) 644-7045