[net.unix-wizards] Request for LAN information

perry.gatech@Udel-Relay@sri-unix (11/23/82)

From:     Perry Flinn <perry.gatech@Udel-Relay>
Date:     18 Nov 82 16:08:48-EST (Thu)
I would be interested in hearing about anyone's experiences with
interfacing VAXen running 4.1bsd to Ethernet-based LANs.  Specifically,
I would like to know who has drivers for Unibus Ethernet controllers
and what kind of (higher level) protocols they implement/use.

We want to eventually tie all our systems to one Ethernet cable.
In addition to VAX hardware, we have Primes, Perqs, HP-1000, HP-3000,
a Xerox Star network, and an Ungermann-Bass NET/ONE.  Any applicable
information will be greatly appreciated.

		Perry Flinn
		<perry.gatech@udel-relay>

perry.gatech@Udel-Relay@sri-unix (11/23/82)

From:     Perry Flinn <perry.gatech@Udel-Relay>
Date:     19 Nov 82 9:29:50-EST (Fri)
P.S.	Has anyone out there figured out how to drive a Xerox 8040
laser printer with troff?

milazzo@Lbl-Unix@sri-unix (11/25/82)

From:     Paul Milazzo <rice!milazzo@Lbl-Unix>
Date:     23 Nov 1982 5:27-CST
I'm afraid that I don't know what a Xerox 8040 printer is, but at Rice
University we are interested in interfacing the 8044/8045 laser print
server to both Troff and TeX, and of course we would place such
software in the public domain.  Unfortunately, there are two major
difficulties we have yet to overcome:

   1) We don't yet have an 8044 (but we're working on it).
   2) Xerox is reluctant to release the full details of the
      Interpress format.  The text format is very similar to
      Press, but we would like to be able to use the graphics
      format as well.

Perhaps if sufficient interest could be demonstrated, the potential
market might convince Xerox to overcome their reluctance.

				Paul Milazzo,
				Dept. of Mathematical Sciences
				Rice University, Houston TX