[rec.birds] Software for techno-birders

gmr044@leah.Albany.Edu (Gregg Recer) (08/22/90)

Hi again,
     We just bought a PC.  Among other uses we have in mind, I have
thought about trying to computerize all of our birding records.
I've seen ads for listing programs in Birder's World, etc.  Has anyone
out there tried these and, ideally, has anyone been able to compare
the various ones available?  If so, do you have a recommendation?
Thanks in advance.

Gregg

     "In future you should delete the words crunchy frog and
     replace them with the legend crunchy raw unboned real
     dead frog!!"
                 -- Inspector Bradshaw, The Hygiene Division

horvath@granite.cr.bull.com (John Horvath) (08/24/90)

In article <3561@leah.Albany.Edu> gmr044@leah.Albany.Edu (Gregg Recer) writes:

>     We just bought a PC.  Among other uses we have in mind, I have
>thought about trying to computerize all of our birding records.
>the various ones available?  If so, do you have a recommendation?

I've seen this question a couple times and have never seen anyone post
an answer. I suspect its because so few people are interested in
merging birding and PCs. You would think that if anyone buys these
specific pieces of software, it might be someone from rec.birds.
Perhaps these things don't sell at all?

An alternative suggestion is to try calling a specialized BBS in
Maryland. Its called "the Osprey's Nest" at 1-301-989-9036. They
have several shareware files that you can download and evaluate.
Most of their stuff (the last time I checked last year), was text
but there were a few (2?) PC bird list programs. They also had lots
of other nature and backyard science type programs.

It was a pretty friendly BBS as most BBS's go, since they allow
you to download on your first call. A long distance call there
for an hour (at 2400Baud) is probably a reasonable expense, about
the cost of a paperback.

Does anybody has any updates on this BBS, similar ones or an FTP
site?

John Horvath		      					     it
Internet: horvath@granite.cr.bull.com			 	   un  e
mail:	Bull HN Worldwide Information Systems Inc		Re	    !
        MA30-824A, 300 Concord Road, Billerica, MA 01821 	        land
	USA							Gon   na
		   						   dwa