[rec.birds] September "Big Day" records

dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu (David Mark) (08/30/90)

September is almost upon us.  So, to inspire you to run out and dash about
from pre-dawn to post-dusk, trying to see as many species of birds as
possible (such an effort is known to birders as a "Big Day"), I thought
I would list September records from "The Pettingell Book of Birding
Records", 1986, Austin: American Birding Association.

Interestingly, the WORLD RECORD Big Day for any month (up to 1986) was
set in September!

331 species!  September 5, 1982, by Ted A. Parker II and Scott Robinson,
              in a 1-square-mile area in Manu National Park, southeastern Peru.

September record for the US:

174           September 30, 1982, by Richard Stallcup and Jules Evans,
              in Northern California.

September record for Canada:

154           September 1, 1980, by Rudolph Koes, Dennis Fast, and George
              Holland, in southeastern Manitoba.

Other country September records listed in TPBOBR (details can be posted on
request.

Panama               296        25 Sept 1979    Canal Zone
Australia            143        29 Sept 1984    Darwin area, N.T.

September Records for US States and Canadian Provinces:

Alabama              151
California           174
Colorado             144
Connecticut          120
D.C.                  96
Hawaii                54
Illinois             117
Minnesota             91
Nevada                60
New Mexico           105
Texas                153
Washington            95

British Columbia     122
Manotoba             154
Newfoundland         106
Nova Scotia          121
Ontario              111

For the other states and provinces, no September "Big Day" total has been
reported to the ABA, or sent to Noel Pettingell, or published where Noel
could find it.

And by the way, Noel Pettingell is working on compiling a second edition
of the book, so if you have set any records lately, be sure to let Noel
know, or send them to me and I'll print them and mail them to him.

David Mark
dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu

andrewt@cs.su.oz (Andrew Taylor) (09/02/90)

In article <34191@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu (David Mark) writes:
> ... I would list September records from "The Pettingell Book of Birding
>Records", 1986, Austin: American Birding Association. ...
>Other country September records listed in TPBOBR (details can be posted on
>request.
>
>Panama               296        25 Sept 1979    Canal Zone
>Australia            143        29 Sept 1984    Darwin area, N.T.

Its a bit silly to compare northern September and southern September totals.
It should be Australian March and for March its likely to be over 200.
The highest Aust. big day I've heard of is 222 by Chris Corben around Brisbane
(don't know which month).  It should be possible to do a bit better than 143
in September too. Big days aren't popular here. The only place I've done one
is New York in May (169).

Andrew

dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu (David Mark) (09/02/90)

In article <1166@cluster.cs.su.oz> andrewt@cluster.cs.su.oz (Andrew Taylor) writes:
>>Other country September records listed in TPBOBR
>>
>>Panama               296        25 Sept 1979    Canal Zone
>>Australia            143        29 Sept 1984    Darwin area, N.T.
>
>Its a bit silly to compare northern September and southern September totals.
>It should be Australian March and for March its likely to be over 200.

When John McKean wrote to us 28 March 1985, he included State records, but
not monthly records per se.  In temperate Australia, wouldn't the
September (= early spring) records likely be HIGHER than March (=late summer,
early fall), especially since such a small proportion of Australian birds are
migrants.

Anyway, NO state record in Australia was set in March, whereas the
September figure above is the highest Northern Territory "Big Day" that
was known to John early in 1985.

(Around Darwin, the birds are probably easiest to find, although the
weather most uncomfortable, just at the start of the "wet", in late
October, before roads become too boggy.)

>The highest Aust. big day I've heard of is 222 by Chris Corben around Brisbane
>(don't know which month).

Glen Ingram (a participant along with Corben and Anita Smyth) sent that to
me with the total as 221, and it was indeed done in the Brisbane area,
October 19, 1985, i.e., in spring.  (Like April 19 in the American south.)
Maybe the total increased a posteriori due to a "split".

>>Panama               296        25 Sept 1979    Canal Zone

And for the tropics, month of the year and "season" per se means almost
nothing.  It is wet-dry that matters, or, in the case of the American
tropics, when the temparate migrants are there, namely northern "winter"
from perhaps September to March.  But October-January is the rainy reason
in central America, difficult to bird, so perhaps February-March would
be best there.

Interestingly, the "world records" by month as of late 1985, in the
"Pettingell Book of Birding Records", are from North America
for the northern spring and summer, and for tropical areas otherwise:

Jan    255    Panama
Feb    290    Kenya
Mar    208    Papua New Guinea

Apr    243    California
May    246    Texas
Jun    187    Manitoba
Jul    170    California
Aug    172    Arizona

Sep    331    Peru
Oct    278    Peru
Nov    308    Kenya
Dec    288    Zambia

Of course, this reflects, among many other things, (a) the information fields
of the compilers of the PBOBR, with a tremendous North American bias;  (b) the
fact that Big Days are a very "American" activity; and (c) the fact that
Americans bird in the tropics mostly in our winter.

David Mark
dmark@sun.acsu.buffalo.edu

andrewt@cs.su.oz (Andrew Taylor) (09/03/90)

In article <34561@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu (David Mark) writes:
>In temperate Australia, wouldn't the
>September (= early spring) records likely be HIGHER than March (=late summer,
>early fall), especially since such a small proportion of Australian birds are
>migrants.

Shorebirds  generally arrive October-November, most of them would be
missing in September. You will miss other migrants in September too.
October-Novemeber is the go but few of these birds would have left by March 1
though some will be harder to find. If you can find 221 in October you
should manage 200 in early March.

>Glen Ingram (a participant along with Corben and Anita Smyth) sent that to
>me with the total as 221, and it was indeed done in the Brisbane area,
>October 19, 1985, i.e., in spring.  (Like April 19 in the American south.)
>Maybe the total increased a posteriori due to a "split".

More likely Chris Corben managed 222 since 1985, my info is 2nd hand so
I'm not sure.

Incidently I believe the world big day record is now for Kenya not Peru.

Andrew

dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu (David Mark) (09/03/90)

In article <1171@cluster.cs.su.oz> andrewt@cluster.cs.su.oz (Andrew Taylor) writes:

>Incidently I believe the world big day record is now for Kenya not Peru.
>
>Andrew

Back in 1985, the Kenya group claimed the "World Record" at 308, discounting
the 331 Peru total.  The Peru total includes a large but indeterminate number
of heard-only birds.  American Birding Association "Big Day" rules place
no limit on heard birds, but require that 95% of the birds must be
'observed' (seen or heard) by ALL participants.  The "Kenya Rules"
require only 90% to be observed by all team members, but limit heard-only
birds to at most 10%.  So, the Kenya group claimed that their 308 on
25 November 1984 was the World Record.  And the Kenya 308 might not
qualify under ABA rules, if the shared total was under 293.  And, the
Kenya group used an airplane.

(The British have different Big Day rules again.  I think they require
100% to be observed by all participants, but allow 'scouts' to help the
team during the Big Day [absolutely forbidden under American rules!])

But they may have had a Big Day with over 331 species in Kenya some time in
the last six years.  Anyone out in net-land have information on that?

David Mark
dmark@sun.acsu.buffalo.edu

wander@csa2.lbl.gov (ADRIAN WANDER) (09/04/90)

In article <34603@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu (David Mark) writes...

>But they may have had a Big Day with over 331 species in Kenya some time in
>the last six years.  Anyone out in net-land have information on that?
>
>David Mark
>dmark@sun.acsu.buffalo.edu

According to a recent article on Kenya in Birding World Vol 3 No 4 (May 1990)
the world record big day is 342 set in Kenya in 1986 by Terry Stevenson during
the international 'Great Safari Bird Rally'. However, I believe that this
probably involved the use of an aircraft.
			Adrian.