[rec.birds] Wrentit

john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) (09/03/90)

David Mark (dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu) writes:
+--
| ...Wrentit (a coastal scrub bird never recorded in any US
| state except California and Oregon)...
+--

Has California finally lost its last endemic?  I heard once
that Wrentit had been observed a few miles south of the
Oregon border, but I hadn't heard of any solid Oregon records.
Anybody know if this was documented?
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, NM/john@jupiter.nmt.edu
``Let's go outside and commiserate with nature.''  --Dave Farber

dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu (David Mark) (09/03/90)

In article <1990Sep2.234531.26188@nmt.edu> john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) writes:
>David Mark (dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu) writes:
>+--
>| ...Wrentit (a coastal scrub bird never recorded in any US
>| state except California and Oregon)...
>+--
>
>Has California finally lost its last endemic?  I heard once
>that Wrentit had been observed a few miles south of the
>Oregon border, but I hadn't heard of any solid Oregon records.
>Anybody know if this was documented?
>--
>John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, NM/john@jupiter.nmt.edu

John, I think you are confusing the Wrentit with the Yellow-billed Magpie.
That is the only California, and in fact the only State endemic, and I
heard that it had been observed not far from Oregon.  But I do not think
Yellow-billed Magpie has been observed in Oregon yet.

Wrentit occurs all the way up to Astoria, and it is surprising that it
has never been recorded in Washington.  But the Columbia river is an
imposing barrier to a shrub skulker that often seems reluctant to cross
a trail!  Wrentit also occurs in Baja California, which means it is
not a US endemic.

David Mark
dmark@sun.acsu.buffalo

sid@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Sid Johnson WB6VWH) (09/03/90)

In article <1990Sep2.234531.26188@nmt.edu> john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) writes:

>Has California finally lost its last endemic?  I heard once
>that Wrentit had been observed a few miles south of the
>Oregon border, but I hadn't heard of any solid Oregon records.
>Anybody know if this was documented?
>--
>John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, NM/john@jupiter.nmt.edu
>``Let's go outside and commiserate with nature.''  --Dave Farber

I can't help as far as Oregon is concerned, or even Northern California
now that I think about it, but Wrentit is a common bird here in the LA
area.  I see them on a regular basis in the chaparral around JPL and
in the nearby Arroyo Seco canyon.  Come to think of it I guess I would
be surprised to hike around the ponds and the wash at the mouth of Arroyo
Seco without seeing at least one.

Sid Johnson, WB6VWH, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena CA

john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) (09/04/90)

David Mark (dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu) writes:
+--
| John, I think you are confusing the Wrentit with the
| Yellow-billed Magpie.  That is the only California,
| and in fact the only State endemic, and I heard that
| it had been observed not far from Oregon.  But I do
| not think Yellow-billed Magpie has been observed in
| Oregon yet.
+--

Right you are, I should have known better.

Someone reported a Wrentit in northeastern New Mexico a
few years back.  It did severe damage to that birder's
credibility, for some reason.

--

grp@unify.uucp (Greg Pasquariello) (09/04/90)

In article <1990Sep2.234531.26188@nmt.edu> john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) writes:

>   David Mark (dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu) writes:
>   +--
>   | ...Wrentit (a coastal scrub bird never recorded in any US
>   | state except California and Oregon)...
>   +--
>
>   Has California finally lost its last endemic?  I heard once
>   that Wrentit had been observed a few miles south of the
>   Oregon border, but I hadn't heard of any solid Oregon records.
>   Anybody know if this was documented?
>   --
>   John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, NM/john@jupiter.nmt.edu
>   ``Let's go outside and commiserate with nature.''  --Dave Farber

What about the Yellow-billed Magpie?  Has that been recorded somewhere else?
--

-Greg Pasquariello	grp@unify.com