[rec.birds] OUTDOOR: favorite birding sites in the Bay Area

sandra@pyrtech.pyramid.com (Sandra Macika) (09/06/90)

In article <27495@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> oliver@karakorum.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Oliver Sharp) writes:

>Greetings, all.  Things have been a bit heated here lately, so I
>hope that this message will start a more cheerful thread.

Wonderful idea!

>I've been
>birding, on and off, ever since junior high school.  I hit a high
>point several years ago when I was a volunteer docent at Baylands,
>in Palo Alto, a marvelous marsh habitat with a great variety of
>species.  It was fun leading tours and being able to identify some
>speck with lightning speed while other birders were still fumbling
>with the thumb wheels.  Getting to know an area well really enriches
>the experience; once you get past the basics ("what's that duck?")
>you can pay more attention to the subtle details.

I started birding about 6 years ago when I took a 2 week trip driving out
here (California) from Michigan. I saw a lot of neat birds on the way out
here, but nothing beats the bay area.

>So, how about you?  What spots do you really like?
>
>Cheers,
>- Oliver Sharp

One of my favorite places is Cyote Hills Park in Fremont, right on the East
side of the Dumbarton Bridge. I've seen owls, kites, night herons, and a lot
of ducks. It has been a while since I've been there though. They offer
bird/nature walks, but as I remember, they were held Thursday morning when
I am at work. I have gone to one of their owl walks, but we didn't find any
owls that night.

Thanks,
Sandra