[rec.birds] Jizz

john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) (09/02/90)

Josh Hayes (JAHAYES@MIAMIU.BITNET) writes:
+--
| ...the term "jizz". I had never run across this term before,
| guess that shows that I haven't done any birding on other
| continents.... Is this term an extraction from the German
| word "gestalt", as in Gestalt Psychology?
+--

I was involved in a rec.birds discussion on this very
subject a year or so ago.  Apparently the term comes from
plane spotters in England in WWII, from the acronym GIS
(General Impression of Shape).  U.S. bird magazines (e.g.,
_Birding_) have been using it for a while, and it is
spreading through this country.

When I learned to bird in California in the mid-70's, the
term ``gestalt'' was used pretty much the way ``jizz'' is
used now.  Since gestalt means a totality, I think the two
may be used interchangeably, although some people argued the
point.  I told one birder that gestalt meant the totality of
shape, posture, behavior, plumage, voice, geographic
location, microhabitat, and all the other possible cues.  He
replied, ``well, that's just PART of the jizz.''  The way he
explained it, there must have been a component of
extra-sensory perception!

Although I have to respect those with this kind of deep
field experience, sometimes I think the use of these terms
can be self-deceiving.

``Why do you think that was a Hammond's Flycatcher and not
  a Dusky?''

``Well, it just had that Hammond's jizz.''

It seems to me that sometimes such usage comes from the
strong urge to twitch a species (that is, check off a
species on a list---another British usage becoming common in
the US), and is used to support sightings in the absence of
any truly hard evidence.
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, NM/john@jupiter.nmt.edu
``Let's go outside and commiserate with nature.''  --Dave Farber

JAHAYES@MIAMIU.BITNET (09/03/90)

In article <1990Sep1.231807.9059@nmt.edu>, john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) says:

>It seems to me that sometimes such usage comes from the
>strong urge to twitch a species (that is, check off a
>species on a list---another British usage becoming common in
>the US), and is used to support sightings in the absence of
>any truly hard evidence.
>--
>John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, NM/john@jupiter.nmt.edu
>``Let's go outside and commiserate with nature.''  --Dave Farber

That's a good point. It's very tempting sometimes; I can't count
the number of Empidonaxes I've seen that were stubbornly silent.
Sat ten feet away and looked smug at me. Guess what I am? Grrr.
There are important characters, however, that are all too often
underemphasized in field guide descriptions, primarily those of
*behavior* and *specific habitat*. Range maps are nice, but one
can often eliminate from consideration a species restricted to,
say, >20' lodgepole pines, if you're in a deciduous river basin.
Similarly, that ridiculous bobbing that spotted sandpipers do,
kind of like characters in really old animations, you know? Just
sort of jigging in space, so you know IT'S ANIMATED. A dead give-
away in what can be a frustrating group, at least for me. I also
find sonograms enormously helpful, 'cause I can read them pretty
well, but my wife can't make head or tail of them....

Well. By the way, Acton Lake, in Hueston Woods State Park in SW
Ohio, is teeming with Great Blue Herons. Lots of kingfishers, too,
and the chickadee and titmouse populations seem to overwhelm any
other passerines. The nesting pairs of Yellow-Throated Warblers
that I had pinpointed are now gone; so I guess the migration has
begun in earnest. So long, birds of summer....
Josh Hayes, Zoology Department, Miami University, Oxford OH 45056
voice: 513-529-1679      fax: 513-529-6900
jahayes@miamiu.bitnet, or jahayes@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu
It goes in, it must come out. [Testicle's deviant to Fudd's
first law of opposition.]

misan@ra.abo.fi (Annika Forsten DC) (09/03/90)

> discussion about jizz deleted

>   It seems to me that sometimes such usage comes from the
>   strong urge to twitch a species (that is, check off a
>   species on a list---another British usage becoming common in
>   the US), and is used to support sightings in the absence of
>   any truly hard evidence.

I believe your're confusing twitching with ticking. Twitching is when you
go for a rare bird you know is there (whether you manage to see it or not).
Ticking is when you tick a species on your list, whether it is twitched or
not.

Annika Forsten, Finland

bob@delphi.uchicago.edu (Robert S. Lewis, Jr.) (09/04/90)

In article <1990Sep1.231807.9059@nmt.edu> john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) writes:
>Josh Hayes (JAHAYES@MIAMIU.BITNET) writes:

>Although I have to respect those with this kind of deep
>field experience, sometimes I think the use of these terms
[jizz or gestalt]
>can be self-deceiving.

>It seems to me that sometimes such usage comes from the
>strong urge to twitch a species (that is, check off a
>species on a list---another British usage becoming common in
>the US), and is used to support sightings in the absence of
>any truly hard evidence.

Then again, we all identify our friends and relatives by their
jizz--and who'd ever think of asking us for "truly hard evidence" when
we claim we saw our friend Johnnie at the local watering hole--unless
of course Johnnie was holding up the bartender....

Jizz is extremely reliable once you're familiar with a species (and
the species similar to it), but to convince others you may need to
give some harder evidence along with the "subjective" interpretation
of the bird's appearance.  Saying the gull you saw was a Herring Gull
and not a Ring-Billed Gull because it looked meaner is okay, but it
gets better when you can say it looked meaner because its forehead was
flatter, its eye relatively less round and prominent, and it's bill
bigger.  Of course, even these more specific statements are subjective
and interpretive--and it's remarkably easy to convince yourself that
a bird has the specific ("objective") characteristics of the bird you
are expecting to see or you really want to see.  Whenever you're
looking for a Louisiana Waterthrush, those Northern Waterthrushes all
start getting whiter eyebrows that broaden behind the eye.  Even
"truly hard evidence" can be suspect when the urge to "twitch" gets
too strong.

willner@cfa.HARVARD.EDU (Steve Willner, OIR) (09/06/90)

From article <1990Sep1.231807.9059@nmt.edu>, by john@nmt.edu (John Shipman):
:> Apparently the term comes from
:> plane spotters in England in WWII, from the acronym GIS
:> (General Impression of Shape).

For what it's worth, I read somewhere that the term is a contraction of
"just is."  (As in "Why is that bird a robin?"  "It just is!")  This may
be folk etymology, of course, since I don't remember where I read it.
Steve Willner            Phone 617-495-7123         Bitnet:   willner@cfa
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA                 Internet: willner@cfa.harvard.edu