[rec.birds] Feral Rock Doves

dgraham@kean.ucs.mun.ca (David Graham) (09/07/90)

In article <1990Sep6.224033.10637@nmt.edu>, john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) writes:
> John Horvath (horvath@granite.cr.bull.com) writes:
> +--
> | Speaking of misnomers, why do they call them rock doves too.
> | I think this is a campaign by the pidgeon people to vindicate
> | these creatures.  I have never seen one of these things out
> | in the wild unless they were flying from one urban blight to
> | the next. Seriously, has anyone ever seen them in any habitat
> | that resembled their typical concrete domiciles, something
> | like canyon floors?
> +--
>
> The southern side of Pigeon Point, between Santa Cruz and
> Half Moon Bay on the California coast, is made up of tall
> rocky cliffs with flat tops.  I have often seen groups of
> twenty or so Rock Doves sitting on these cliff tops, far
> from urban blight.

Here in Newfoundland we have a lot of this habitat as well, without
the California weath~rwalas :-(, and there is a substantial colony of
feral Rock Doves outside St. John's at a beautiful place called Middle
Cove, where they can be found flying around the cliffs all year long.

   David Graham					dgraham@kean.ucs.mun.ca