[rec.birds] rock doves

lbechtle@uceng.UC.EDU (laurie bechtler) (09/07/90)

Am I the only one who thinks pigeons are pretty?  I know
they're dirty and considered a pest in many places, but I am
always amazed at the variety of plumage that they display.
They have the basic delicate dove head that makes a mourning
dove pretty.  And I enjoy the cooing sound emanating from
any pigeon enclave...

reynolds@felix.UUCP (David Lee Reynolds) (09/10/90)

In article <6019@uceng.UC.EDU> lbechtle@uceng.UC.EDU (laurie bechtler) writes:
>Am I the only one who thinks pigeons are pretty?  I know

	Well at the risk of being flamed to death! ;-)  I happen to enjoy
feeding (GASP!) the pigeons that frequent the local Price-Club.  I find them
very NON-offensive, and enjoy watching them more then reading Daan Sandee's
postings any day! ;-)

>they're dirty and considered a pest in many places, but I am

	Well I call them the "Rabbits of the Air", since they will have a new
clutch of eggs 1 week before weaning the last brood.  (Lets see, that's 2
babies every 1.5 months, so that's 16 new pigeons/doves per year per pair of
parents, not bad)!

>always amazed at the variety of plumage that they display.
>They have the basic delicate dove head that makes a mourning
>dove pretty.  And I enjoy the cooing sound emanating from
>any pigeon enclave...

	Again at the risk of being flamed, I (OH MY GOD!) own and breed, (though
they don't need to much help in that area ;-), white and ring-neck doves.  (The
definition being, dove = small pigeon).  I find that their crap is easier to
cleanup then any dog or cat I've ever owned, and I would much rather listen to
their coo'ing any day over hearing our dog bark his frigging head off at the
people walking past our fence!  My wife and I find their coo'ing very melodious
and nerve calming.  Ruth (white dove) and Boaz (ringneck), are the best of
companions!  We enjoy watching them take turns feeding, brooding, and
protecting their young.  (The female sits on the nest during the night, and
males are found on the nest during the day).

	I think Solomon knew what he was saying when he spoke of his wife, "You
have doves eyes, and are gentle to behold"!  This meaning that the dove and
pigeon is monogynous, and will only look for a new mate upon the death of the
current one.  Doves are also extremely gentle, in fact, the only time I have
seen any aggressive behavior out of any of my doves was when the nest was
threatend!  This might partially explain why people use whites doves in
weddings, and as the symbol of peace and harmony.  (Humm, wonder if any body
could use this lesson on the net? ;-).  Na!

	Josie and I must be learning from them, cause our first child is due
in just two months.  I think we will use a bottle to feed the baby, however,
regurgitation does not seem to appetizing to me right now...

	Hummm, question?
	My doves are in an aviary, and they are outside, plus they act basicly
the same as wild doves do, and my wife and I do study their behavior, can I
still post here???

			David Lee Reynolds
			(zardoz,legs,spsd,hplabs)!felix!reynolds