[rec.birds] Owls and this time of year

grp@unify.uucp (Greg Pasquariello) (09/07/90)

I was talking to my brother in NJ this weekend, and he told me that the
local screech owls were very vocal again.  This reminded me that, for the
past 4 or 5 years, I have noticed that the screech owls were always very
vocal in the first couple weeks in September.  Then, this week, I began
hearing western screech owls and northern pygmy owl in my own yard, for
the first time, and they can be heard almost every night.

Now, assuming these species are truly non-migratory, and I am not getting
an influx of new individuals, does anyone have any ideas why this might be?
I've not seen any literature on the subject, and I am truly curious.

BTW, I have not noticed this behavior in Great-horned owls, and my barn owls
have been relatively silent lately.

--

-Greg Pasquariello	grp@unify.com

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (09/11/90)

In article <GRP.90Sep7102106@magpie.unify.uucp>, grp@unify.uucp (Greg Pasquariello) writes:

> I was talking to my brother in NJ this weekend, and he told me that the
> local screech owls were very vocal again.  This reminded me that, for the
> past 4 or 5 years, I have noticed that the screech owls were always very
> vocal in the first couple weeks in September.  Then, this week, I began
> hearing western screech owls and northern pygmy owl in my own yard, for
> the first time, and they can be heard almost every night.
>
> Now, assuming these species are truly non-migratory, and I am not getting
> an influx of new individuals, does anyone have any ideas why this might be?
> I've not seen any literature on the subject, and I am truly curious.

	I found the following reference to screech owls in "Owls of
North America":

	"The calls heard in late summer and autumn are most often
family calls, presumably given so the birds can keep track of one
another and remain comparatively close as a family unit while they
range in search of food."

Mike