[rec.birds] Carolina Parakeet in Canada

dgraham@kean.ucs.mun.ca (David Graham) (09/12/90)

In article <35591@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu
(David Mark) writes:
> In article <1191@cluster.cs.su.oz.au> andrewt@cluster.cs.su.oz
(Andrew Taylor) writes:

>>The Heath Hen was a subspecies. Was the Carolina Parakeet a US endemic?
>
> I am almost certain that it was.  There are no Canadian records.

True, but the following (from W. Earl Godfrey, _The Birds of Canada,
Revised Edition_, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1986) is worth
quoting:

"Hypothetical. Three small bones (premaxilla, proximal half of the
left carpometacarpus, and pygostyle) of the extinct Carolina Parakeet
were recently discovered by archaeologists on the Calvert site (a Glen
Meyer Indian site dating to about 1100 A.D.) near London, Ontario
[...]. The species is known to have ranged northward as far as central
New York and might have occasionally straggled into southern Canada.
There is the possibility, however, that this individual was
transported by man to southern Ontario to serve some ceremonial
function." (p. 303)

In other news, Bruce MacTavish and Ken Knowles spent September 1
tramping through the barrens south of St. John's on the 3rd annual
Eskimo Curlew Big Day recently. No Eskimo Curlews were seen (for the
3rd year running) and number of Whimbrels and plovers were lower than
usual, no doubt due to the small crowberry crop this year.

   David Graham					dgraham@kean.ucs.mun.ca