[rec.birds] inappropriate postings

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (08/28/90)

	It is quite interesting, the wrong turn that has been
taken in this discussion about splitting rec.birds.

John Shipman writes:

> Here is the original charter of this group (from the latest
> listing of active newsgroups in news.announce.newusers):

> rec.birds     Hobbyists interested in bird watching.

	The dictionary defines the hobby of bird watching as:
"To identify wild birds and observe their actions and habits
in their natural habitat as a recreation."

	It is quite obvious that the "captive bird" postings
are inappropriate to this newsgroup.

	Now the "captive bird" people claim that we should be
tolerant. Yet, when inappropriate postings are made to most
newsgroups, the poster is flamed from head to toe unceasingly
until they are hounded from the group. By this measure the
"captive bird" people have gotten more than their fair share
of tolerance.

	The "captive bird" people claim that it is little
trouble to "N" through the postings that don't interest one.
Yet, avoiding this inconvenience is the very reason that they
left rec.pets in the first place. They claim that the number
of articles that one has to "N" through in rec.birds is such
a trifle compared to rec.pets. Yet, there is a world of difference
in having to "N" through appropriate articles that don't interest
one, and having to "N" through articles that are inappropriate to
the newsgroup in the first place.

	The issue, to rec.birds, is not whether the group should
be split to accomodate groups of differing interests. The definition
of rec.birds is quite clear, and accomodates the appropriate
people quite nicely, without change. The issue is whether we can
convince the inappropriate people to take their postings and their
discussion of a newsgroup split back to the appropriate place, namely
rec.pets.

Mike

richman@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael Richman) (08/28/90)

In article <64347@oliveb.atc.olivetti.com> mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) writes:

[most of the comments deleted]

>	The issue, to rec.birds, is not whether the group should
>be split to accomodate groups of differing interests. The definition
>of rec.birds is quite clear, and accomodates the appropriate
>people quite nicely, without change. The issue is whether we can
>convince the inappropriate people to take their postings and their
>discussion of a newsgroup split back to the appropriate place, namely
>rec.pets.
>
>Mike

Nice diatribe, Mike.  Most readers are a tad more tolerant
though.  If you have rn or nn, hit the ^K key and enter the
following two lines:

/: *INDOOR/:j
/: *indoor/:j

Most all indoor posters were using this  convention.   Your  kill
file  will  then skip over all indoor postings which use the term
indoor.  This will be performed automatically and you won't  have
to  even  hit  your  "n" key.  As for guidelines, most all groups
have tolerated some changes in  their  original  intent.   So  it
goes.   Remember,  this is USENET and the dictionary defines that
as anarchy (:-).
=  Mike Richman  Atmospheric Sciences  Water Survey  U. of Illinois =
=  email (uiuc mailserver) internet/bitnet/uucp: mrichman@uiuc.edu  =
=  bitnet: mrichman%uiuc.edu@uiucvmd  uucp: uunet!uiuc.edu!mrichman =

sandee@sun16 (Daan Sandee) (08/28/90)

In article <64347@oliveb.atc.olivetti.com> mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) writes:

>	It is quite interesting, the wrong turn that has been
>taken in this discussion about splitting rec.birds.
>
>John Shipman writes:
>> Here is the original charter of this group (from the latest
>> listing of active newsgroups in news.announce.newusers):
>
>> rec.birds     Hobbyists interested in bird watching.
>
>	The dictionary defines the hobby of bird watching as:
>"To identify wild birds and observe their actions and habits
>in their natural habitat as a recreation."
>	It is quite obvious that the "captive bird" postings
>are inappropriate to this newsgroup.

Etc., etc.
I'm sure everybody is sick of the space wars. This group had taken the attitude
the past years of *condoning* the pet people, but it hasn't stopped the flames.
Myself, I can stand the budgie drivel, but I want very much to see the yelling
stopped.
There is an ongoing VOTE to create rec.pets.dogs. The reason for this group
is partly to clean up rec.pets to make it more liveable for other pet keepers.
If this vote passes, we stand a better chance of persuading the pet people to
move back to their proper newsgroup. A proposal to create rec.pets.cats as well
has been discussed, but has apparently not obtained sufficient support.

== I urge anyone who is bothered by the pet postings, or just by the space wars,
== to vote YES on rec.pets.dogs.

Send mail with subject line of "YES to rec.pets.dogs" to
      uunet!lectroid!mm              (uucp)
      mm%lectroid.uucp@uunet.uu.net  (Internet) or
      lectroid!mm@uunet.uu.net

Daan Sandee                                           sandee@sun16.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052  (904) 644-7045

mm@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Mike Mahler) (08/28/90)

	You might find it interesting that quite a few YES
	votes I have received (so far) were from cat owners
	who say they are voting YES to rec.pets.dogs so they
	won't have to read the dog owner articles even if
	they don't have a rec.pets.cats (since there will
	be about 50% less articles in the parent [rec.pets]
	group).  So you are very accurate about your point of
	voting YES for rec.pets.dogs.

	Michael

mm@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Mike Mahler) (08/28/90)

In article <64347@oliveb.atc.olivetti.com> mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) writes:

>	The issue, to rec.birds, is not whether the group should
>be split to accomodate groups of differing interests. The definition
>of rec.birds is quite clear, and accomodates the appropriate
>people quite nicely, without change. The issue is whether we can
>convince the inappropriate people to take their postings and their
>discussion of a newsgroup split back to the appropriate place, namely
>rec.pets.

	I think the issue is what the NAME of a group discussing
	the hobby of birdwatching should be.  Hence the vote to
	change the name to rec.birding.

	Let's think back to when you were a novice use of NEWS
	or just novice to rec.birds.  You see rec.pets and rec.birds
	in your groups listing.  You want to know about a certain
	parrot you've been interested in.  The name rec.birds certainly
	sounds more exact and appropriate than rec.pets (realistically,
	almost NO ONE reads the group definitions when they subscribe
	to a new group).
	If you have a Ford, why post to rec.autos (if it existed)
	when you can post to rec.autos.fords, right?  You post your
	innocuous question to rec.birds only to get blasted for your
	"budgie	caa-caa" posting which belongs in rec.pets.  The
	question, to me, would seem to be what more descriptive
	name would be best suited for what is now rec.birds.  I've
	heard rec.birding and rec.birdwatching, do you have something
	else you'd like to add as a suggestion for a name?

>Mike

	Michael

sandee@sun16 (Daan Sandee) (08/29/90)

In article <64347@oliveb.atc.olivetti.com]  mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) writes:
] 	The issue, to rec.birds, is not whether the group should
] be split to accomodate groups of differing interests. The definition
] of rec.birds is quite clear, and accomodates the appropriate
] people quite nicely, without change. The issue is whether we can
] convince the inappropriate people to take their postings and their
] discussion of a newsgroup split back to the appropriate place, namely
] rec.pets.

Agreed. One way is the current effort to establish rec.pets.dogs. Another is ...

In article <2148@lectroid.sw.stratus.com]  mm@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Mike Mahler) writes:
] 	I think the issue is what the NAME of a group discussing
] 	the hobby of birdwatching should be.  Hence the vote to
] 	change the name to rec.birding.

You mean the suggestion to change the name - I don't know of any vote.
As a birder, I'm quite happy with the current name, but I approve of the
suggestion to change it to make it less ambiguous, and so to add force to
the effort of getting inappropriate postings out of this group.

Daan Sandee                                           sandee@sun16.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052  (904) 644-7045

ron@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ron Miller) (08/29/90)

Re: inappropriate postings

So you want to divide rec.pets into

      rec.pets.dog          rec.pets.cats&birds&mice&snakes&ferrets&spiders

I don't want to read about cats while looking for pet bird postings.

Also note that USENET is an anarchy. You can change the category name but
you'll have a hard time keeping INDOOR from appearing unless you
make an attempt to meet the wishes of the INDOOR folks. In the history of
USENET, "throwing people out" just doesn't work. Enticing them to another
forum does.

What am I offered to move? (Freedom from insults is a non-starter.)

Ron

INDOOR: Why are parrots so afraid of squirrels?

duane@cbnewsj.att.com (duane.galensky) (08/30/90)

i'd move to create a newsgroup net.anal.retentive.neat.freaks
so that those who can't handle killing uninteresting postings
can have their discussions someplace else.

duane

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (08/30/90)

In article <1990Aug28.045702.21315@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, richman@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael Richman) writes:

> Nice diatribe, Mike.  Most readers are a tad more tolerant
> though.  If you have rn or nn, hit the ^K key and enter the
> following two lines:
>

> /: *INDOOR/:j
> /: *indoor/:j
>
> Most all indoor posters were using this  convention.   Your  kill
> file  will  then skip over all indoor postings which use the term
> indoor.  This will be performed automatically and you won't  have
> to  even  hit  your  "n" key.  As for guidelines, most all groups
> have tolerated some changes in  their  original  intent.   So  it
> goes.   Remember,  this is USENET and the dictionary defines that
> as anarchy (:-).

	Nice smokescreen, Mike. Of course, this brings up the obvious
question: wouldn't a convention of this type work equally well in
rec.pets, the appropriate place?

	It's funny, this hypocrisy being exhibited by the "captive
bird" people. They invade a newsgroup where they, by definition,
don't belong. They claim not to have realized this because they failed
or pretended not to have read the charter describing this group, and
then adamantly remain after it has been made abundantly clear. They
tell us that we should tolerate their presence; a tolerance they
refused to exhibit in rec.pets, the appropriate place. They tell us
that it should be no trouble to "N" through articles that we don't
like; a technique they refused to use in rec.pets, the appropriate
place. They try to implement and adopt a header-naming convention;
something they refused to do in rec.pets, the appropriate place.
Now they tell us that we actually condon their presence (does this
sound like Saddam Hussein, or what?), though this discussion keeps
popping up every couple of months.

	They tell us that the invasion of newsgroups by inappropriate
posters has happened before on the net, firmly entrenching the
justification for their actions in the philosophy of: "two wrongs
do, indeed, make a right". They remind us that anarchy is the norm
on netnews. Yet when we try to display a little anarchy of our own,
we are soundly criticized, proving the axiom that "what is good for
the goose, should never be practiced by the gander". I can't recall
ever seeing a larger load of hypocritical bullshit in my life.

	As for my diatribe, Mike, consider this: if the "captive
bird" people went back to rec.pets, the appropriate place, these
diatribes would probably disappear. As if by magic. Besides, the
volume of traffic is so low in this group; what's a diatribe or
two among friends? And, in the words of the "captive bird" people,
"it shouldn't be much of a bother to just hit the "N" key".

	I certainly don't hold out much hope of the "captive bird"
people leaving this group, but it sure is fun blasting away at the
tissue paper they use for a shield.

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Mike

In article <1990Aug29.190354.23386@cbnewsj.att.com>, duane@cbnewsj.att.com (duane.galensky) writes:

> i'd move to create a newsgroup net.anal.retentive.neat.freaks
> so that those who can't handle killing uninteresting postings
> can have their discussions someplace else.

	Now there's an idea. Then the "captive bird" people,
who left rec.pets for this very reason, can go there and post.

Mike

richman@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael Richman) (08/30/90)

In article <49314@olivea.atc.olivetti.com> mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) writes:

>	Nice smokescreen, Mike. Of course, this brings up the obvious
>question: wouldn't a convention of this type work equally well in
>rec.pets, the appropriate place?
>
>	It's funny, this hypocrisy being exhibited by the "captive
>bird" people. They invade a newsgroup where they, by definition,
>don't belong. They claim not to have realized this because they failed
>or pretended not to have read the charter describing this group, and
>then adamantly remain after it has been made abundantly clear. They
>tell us that we should tolerate their presence; a tolerance they
>refused to exhibit in rec.pets, the appropriate place. They tell us
>that it should be no trouble to "N" through articles that we don't
>like; a technique they refused to use in rec.pets, the appropriate
>place. They try to implement and adopt a header-naming convention;
>something they refused to do in rec.pets, the appropriate place.
>Now they tell us that we actually condon their presence (does this
>sound like Saddam Hussein, or what?), though this discussion keeps
>popping up every couple of months.
>
>	They tell us that the invasion of newsgroups by inappropriate
>posters has happened before on the net, firmly entrenching the
>justification for their actions in the philosophy of: "two wrongs
>do, indeed, make a right". They remind us that anarchy is the norm
>on netnews. Yet when we try to display a little anarchy of our own,
>we are soundly criticized, proving the axiom that "what is good for
>the goose, should never be practiced by the gander". I can't recall
>ever seeing a larger load of hypocritical bullshit in my life.
>
>	As for my diatribe, Mike, consider this: if the "captive
>bird" people went back to rec.pets, the appropriate place, these
>diatribes would probably disappear. As if by magic. Besides, the
>volume of traffic is so low in this group; what's a diatribe or
>two among friends? And, in the words of the "captive bird" people,
>"it shouldn't be much of a bother to just hit the "N" key".
>
>	I certainly don't hold out much hope of the "captive bird"
>people leaving this group, but it sure is fun blasting away at the
>tissue paper they use for a shield.
>
>:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Alright, we agree on one point: It is unlikely that  the  captive
bird folks will leave.  What we don't agree on is the history.  I
do not think most of the posters have wandered into  this  group.
Perhaps  a  few  have.   My  hunch is that they made a calculated
move.  Perhaps some are birders (in the conventional sense)  too.
Another  point  of  disagreement  (what  you refer to as my smok-
escreen) is the idea that a non-moderated group is open  to  ALL,
regardless  of  the stated charter.  Look at the addition of bird
owners as evolution.

Why couldn't the header convention I mentioned work for rec.pets?
Two  reasons:  (i)  The  shear volume would translate to too many
posters not using the headers and,  most  importantly,  (ii)  the
system  blocks  out articles, it does not pass them on.  So every
possible keyword would have to be entered in order  to  just  let
birds through.  This is not only unworkable, but would be ineffi-
cient.  One thing birders who are upset at pet  bird  people  who
post  could do would be to compile a list of names they know post
the pet bird articles and add those to their kill file too  (:-).
A  final  thought  would  be  to form a chartered group with some
power to enforce the charter (read: MODERATED).  Short  of  that,
the  price  you  pay for freedom is putting up with some articles
which don't fit your idea of "correct".
=  Mike Richman  Atmospheric Sciences  Water Survey  U. of Illinois =
=  email (uiuc mailserver) internet/bitnet/uucp: mrichman@uiuc.edu  =
=  bitnet: mrichman%uiuc.edu@uiucvmd  uucp: uunet!uiuc.edu!mrichman =

ron@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ron Miller) (08/30/90)

Re: Self-fulfilling newsgroup usage

1. The Michael who is trying to "read the rules" to us is ignoring the
   most fundamental of human  behaviors.

NOBODY READS THE $&!!#!! MANUALS!

The group title entices people who are cruising thru news to use
this group for things related to birds.

2. Assuming malice and collusion by petbirders pretty psychotic.
   Never assume malice when ignorance will explain it equally well.

Name the group for what you want accomplished (and provide a place for
alternate users to go as well) and you'll get what you want.
Assisting the group to be named will get what you want. Assisting
petbird folks to get what they want will help you get what you want.

Pissing about the rules won't. (In fact, *I will taunt you if you do!* :-)

Sounds like you're the sort who would design a product with a big
DON'T PUSH ME!  button on the front and then complain that people kept
pushing it and halting the machine.

Vote YES for rec.pets.birds  FIRST!

(BTW, my newsreader show 3 of 25 active topics being INDOOR related.
 Yup, we have a REAL BIG PROBLEM!)

(not a Mike)

Ron

sandra@pyrtech (Sandra Macika) (08/30/90)

In article <1990Aug30.025814.22471@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> richman@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael Richman) writes:

>Why couldn't the header convention I mentioned work for rec.pets?
>Two  reasons:  (i)  The  shear volume would translate to too many
>posters not using the headers and,  most  importantly,  (ii)  the
>system  blocks  out articles, it does not pass them on.  So every
>possible keyword would have to be entered in order  to  just  let
>birds through.
>
>=  Mike Richman  Atmospheric Sciences  Water Survey  U. of Illinois =

This is only true if you use "rn" to read your news. If you use "readnews"
to read your news, you type in the Articles you want to read about.
For example, you could type:

readnews -t CATS BIRDS

if you only wanted to read Articles that had the word "CATS" or "BIRDS" in
the beginnig of the subject line.

My system has both "rn" and "readnews" available. Try reading the man page.
Let me know if you have questions.

Sandra

reynolds@felix.UUCP (David Lee Reynolds) (08/31/90)

In article <536@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> sandee@sun16 (Daan Sandee) writes:
>In article <64347@oliveb.atc.olivetti.com]  mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) writes:
>] 	The issue, to rec.birds, is not whether the group should
>] be split to accomodate groups of differing interests. The definition
>] of rec.birds is quite clear, and accomodates the appropriate
      ^^^^^^^^^
      Really?
      Using this analogy then, rec.aquaria is obviously for those who ONLY
      track, count, or view, (not own) fish right?  I mean why would I post a
      question about fish to rec.aquaria, when there is an APPROPRIATE group
      called rec.pets???

>] convince the inappropriate people to take their postings and their
>] discussion of a newsgroup split back to the appropriate place, namely
>] rec.pets.

      Thank you for labeling groups of people as "unappropriate" in your last
      entry.

      I feel we should add the group called, "rec.birds.flamewar" because in
      the last week I have the following message counts:

      out of 175 new messages I found:
      20 birding related questions, answers, comments..
      10 pet bird owners questioning methods for improved health of their birds.
      4  about some stupid name change for rec.dinnerhouse or such
      2  about fish???
      139 Flames on topics ranging from name changes to name calling and the
          likes.  (My old boss calls these people, the wining and snivelling
	  twits, group).

>Agreed. One way is the current effort to establish rec.pets.dogs. Another is .
                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
						    rec.pets.birds
      I can live with this, but the one thing I still can not understand is
      why this is such a BIG issue???  I thought we could all share with out
      resorting to name calling, and flame wars!

>In article <2148@lectroid.sw.stratus.com]  mm@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Mike Mahler) writes:
>] 	change the name to rec.birding.
			   ^^^^^^^^^^^
			   SEEMS GOOD TO ME!!!

>You mean the suggestion to change the name - I don't know of any vote.
>As a birder, I'm quite happy with the current name, but I approve of the
>suggestion to change it to make it less ambiguous, and so to add force to
>the effort of getting inappropriate postings out of this group.
		       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      Well, I guess it is hard for some people to wade through a whopping 10
      articles, (AT THE ABSOLUTE MOST) per day in this group, so yes please do
      change the name.

      I am saddened by this one fact though, you avid birders are the very
      people I have turned to for help with the birds I own, and a select few
      actually were able to over come the "I'm better then you" attitude, of
      Daan Sandee, and offer quite excellent ideas, so if this is the kind of
      way you want to cut the ties of friendship, then I guess I was wrong
      about how nice most of you are!

>Daan Sandee                                           sandee@sun16.scri.fsu.edu
>Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
>Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052  (904) 644-7045

David Lee Reynolds

sandee@sun16 (Daan Sandee) (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug30.025814.22471@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu]    richman@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael Richman) writes:
]                                                        .........  I
]   do not think most of the posters have wandered into  this  group.
]   Perhaps  a  few  have.   My  hunch is that they made a calculated
]   move.  Perhaps some are birders (in the conventional sense)  too.
]   Another  point  of  disagreement  (what  you refer to as my smok-
]   escreen) is the idea that a non-moderated group is open  to  ALL,
]   regardless  of  the stated charter.
An incredible argument. Why have charters at all, in that case? Why
create new groups? Why not give up the concept of newsgroups
altogether?
We are talking about two groups - rec.birds and rec.pets.
Both were created for a specific purpose. Both have a charter defining
that purpose. Those charters don't overlap. Pet birds are part of the
rec.pets charter. So what's the problem? Well, the problem is that some
people ignore these facts and then when we complain about it, they start
yelling about freedom, and about Usenet being anarchy. It is surprising
nobody has called upon the First Amendment yet (which doesn't apply to
Usenet, incidentally ; it merely restricts the action of Government).

]   A  final  thought  would  be  to form a chartered group with some
]   power to enforce the charter (read: MODERATED).  Short  of  that,
]   the  price  you  pay for freedom is putting up with some articles
]   which don't fit your idea of "correct".
]   --
]   =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
]   =  Mike Richman  Atmospheric Sciences  Water Survey  U. of Illinois =
]   =  email (uiuc mailserver) internet/bitnet/uucp: mrichman@uiuc.edu  =
]   =  bitnet: mrichman%uiuc.edu@uiucvmd  uucp: uunet!uiuc.edu!mrichman =

Your arguments can be summed up easily.
(a) You know you're not welcome.
(b) You have invaded us anyway.
(c) You now dare us to use force to drive you out.
Where have I heard that reasoning recently ?
HELP ! Saddam Hussein is taking over Usenet!
And not much room for a smiley here.
Next time you blunder into the ladies' restroom, are you prepared to state
that (1) you did it on purpose, because the men's room is full, as usual,
and (2) all this segregation of sexes is irrelevant anyway, and (3) if they
want to keep out undesirable elements, they should install a cloakroom lady?
Okay, a smiley goes here.    :-)
But seriously, the comparison is correct. Your behavior is just as uncivilised.
You deliberately ignore agreements that are not laws graven in stone but
still intended to be adhered to by people with some degree of consideration
for their fellow mortals.
I entirely agree with your technical arguments about the use and the
limitations of kill files. But the arguments of principle that you use to
justify your intrusion retroactively are specious and irrelevant. In short,
you are damaging your position by advancing them.

Daan Sandee                                           sandee@sun16.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052  (904) 644-7045

freds@legs.UUCP (Fred Sieg) (08/31/90)

What's with the sudden display of anamosity between the wild and captive
bird folks?
This morning I was sitting on the patio with our cockatoo on the table
getting her usul grooming. Tossed a few peanuts on the table and our
friendly neighborhood blue jays darted onto the table to snatch a few.
Gee, wild and captive bird only looked at each other. They didn't feel
there was anything to fight about!

Personally, I've always enjoyed doing/reading both.

Fred

--
Fred Sieg 		|  uucp: ...!uunet!legs!freds
AST Research Inc.	|  Fax: (714) 727-9358 Tel: (714) 727-8465

germaine@cs.columbia.edu (Germaine Leveque) (08/31/90)

Maybe a posting once a month of the charter of this group would help weed out
postings that are considered "inappropriate."  Then "INDOOR" people who wander
into this group because of the name "rec.birds" would know within a fairly
short period of time that this group is not for them.

| Germaine A. L'Eveque    germaine@cs.columbia.edu    (212) 854-8112 |
|    Academic Records Administrator, Computer Science Department     |
|   Columbia University, 450-D Com.Sci.Bldg., New York, NY  10027    |

boris@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Boris Chen) (08/31/90)

In article <49314@olivea.atc.olivetti.com> mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) writes:
>In article <1990Aug28.045702.21315@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, richman@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael Richman) writes:
>>
>> Nice diatribe, Mike.  Most readers are a tad more tolerant
>> though.  If you have rn or nn, hit the ^K key and enter the
>> following two lines:
>>

>> /: *INDOOR/:j
>> /: *indoor/:j
>>
>> Most all indoor posters were using this  convention.   Your  kill
>> file  will  then skip over all indoor postings which use the term
>> indoor.  This will be performed automatically and you won't  have
>> to  even  hit  your  "n" key.  As for guidelines, most all groups
>> have tolerated some changes in  their  original  intent.   So  it
>> goes.   Remember,  this is USENET and the dictionary defines that
>> as anarchy (:-).
>
>	Nice smokescreen, Mike. Of course, this brings up the obvious
>question: wouldn't a convention of this type work equally well in
>rec.pets, the appropriate place?

In pets there are several other "groups." There are the dog people
the rat people, the hamster people, the rock people, etc. Here
it is only INDOOR or OUTDOOR. Very simple. Not difficult. Easy.

>	They tell us that the invasion of newsgroups by inappropriate
>posters has happened before on the net, firmly entrenching the
>justification for their actions in the philosophy of: "two wrongs
>do, indeed, make a right". They remind us that anarchy is the norm
>on netnews. Yet when we try to display a little anarchy of our own,
>we are soundly criticized, proving the axiom that "what is good for
>the goose, should never be practiced by the gander". I can't recall
>ever seeing a larger load of hypocritical bullshit in my life.

What is appropriate is a evolutionary thing. Dynamic, not static.

>	As for my diatribe, Mike, consider this: if the "captive
>bird" people went back to rec.pets, the appropriate place, these
>diatribes would probably disappear. As if by magic. Besides, the
>volume of traffic is so low in this group; what's a diatribe or
>two among friends? And, in the words of the "captive bird" people,
>"it shouldn't be much of a bother to just hit the "N" key".

Good. So you finally agree that hitting the 'N' key is no bother.
So I guess pet bird people are now welcome.

/----------------------------------------------------------\
| Boris Chen    || Berkeley, CA  || boris@ocf.berkeley.edu |

In article <555@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> sandee@sun16 (Daan Sandee) writes:
>HELP ! Saddam Hussein is taking over Usenet!

No, I think that a better analogy is "why don't you people go back where
you came from....Dang feriners" line of thought.

/----------------------------------------------------------\
| Boris Chen    || Berkeley, CA  || boris@ocf.berkeley.edu |

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (08/31/90)

In article <555@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> sandee@sun16 (Daan Sandee) writes:
>Your arguments can be summed up easily.
>(a) You know you're not welcome.

Interesting to assume that people *know* they aren't welcome when many
"birders" have said they didn't mind indoor postings in the least.  Probably
many more than the few who insist on wasting bandwidth in rantings on the
subject.  Sort of reminds me of the soc.women arguments in which women
brought up the charter of the group and were told to stop being so uptight
and mellow out.  But, of course, that won't work here.

>(b) You have invaded us anyway.

Ah, an invasion.  An *us* against *them*.  Interesting there were no such
divisions until recently created.

>(c) You now dare us to use force to drive you out.

That sounds even sillier than I thought at first.  Nobody asks that "force"
be used.  I can't even think of any "force" that CAN be used.  What will you
do, call my sysadmin if I post something you don't like?  Ask Uunet to cut
my feed?  Sheesh, this whole thing is so damn stupid that it's hard to
believe that it's still being fought about.

>I entirely agree with your technical arguments about the use and the
>limitations of kill files. But the arguments of principle that you use to
>justify your intrusion retroactively are specious and irrelevant. In short,
>you are damaging your position by advancing them.

How can it be worse?  JEHOVAH, JEHOVAH!  What are you going to do, STONE
me?

Mikki Barry

mm@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Mike Mahler) (08/31/90)

	Actually, it's a Mike who's saying that, I'm Michael.

	Michael

sbishop@desire.wright.edu (08/31/90)

> [...]
> want to keep out undesirable elements, they should install a cloakroom lady?
> Okay, a smiley goes here.    :-)
> But seriously, the comparison is correct. Your behavior is just as uncivilised.
> You deliberately ignore agreements that are not laws graven in stone but
> still intended to be adhered to by people with some degree of consideration
> for their fellow mortals.
> I entirely agree with your technical arguments about the use and the
> limitations of kill files. But the arguments of principle that you use to
> justify your intrusion retroactively are specious and irrelevant. In short,
> you are damaging your position by advancing them.
>
> Daan Sandee                                           sandee@sun16.scri.fsu.edu
> Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
> Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052  (904) 644-7045

OK, that does it.  I quit.  I will hereby ignore this group and remove it from
my restricted directory.  You birders have just totally reinforced my idea that
you are a bunch of insensitive, elitist shitheads who really get off by running
around bragging about how many species of birds you have spotted on a
particular day.  To me that smacks of the big game hunters that used to go out
and see how many buffalo or rare species they could kill a day.  Makes me
wonder how many of you avid birders have been volunteering time at the local
bird sanctuary or how many have helped in rehabilitation of injured raptors,
etc.
I (SHOCK, GASP, HORRORS!) keep caged birds.  I also enjoy watching the wild
ones around my feeders and woods.  And I have enjoyed reading about different
areas for bird watching.  But I am totally sick of the harrassment and
obnoxious comments from you snots.

geek@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Chris Schmandt) (09/01/90)

In article <26DDDE51.3DD7@intercon.com> ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) writes:
<two pretty obnoxious messages>

Can anyone tell me how to automatically kill messages from a
particular sender, using "rn"??

For most news groups, when it gets this bad I bow out.  I'll hang
in here for a while....  I do like to talk about birds!  (of the
wild variety...)

chris

benefiel@wyse.wyse.com (Daniel Benefiel xtmp x2531 dept234) (09/01/90)

I've been watching this thread for awhile now, and my personal opinion
just keeps getting stronger.  I would like to see a vote put the issue
to rest, but I don't believe I have seen a specific vote proposal.

Although I've never bothered to read the group charter, it apparently
was intended for the "OUTDOOR" folks.  Should the vote then be on
whether we add to the charter the clause "No INDOOR people allowed"
or the clause "INDOOR people welcome"?

Dan

(My personal story is that since I was in 2nd grade I've been very
interested in wild birds and completely nonplussed by captive birds.
Then I joined this group to learn more about birds which I'm now
doing with both INDOOR and OUTDOOR postings.  So I like the group
the way it is.)

dkletter@adobe.COM (It's all fun and games until someone PUTS AN EYE OUT) (09/01/90)

i find it completely humourous that before all this aggression came
out, the traffic was very minimal and the ratio of indoor to outdoor
was about equal most of the time. a very livable situation.

of course, now that everyone's arguing the ratio of pure crap to
postings with substance is like 5 to 1 and the traffic has skyrocketed.

don't y'all think it's funny that a bunch of highly educated adults
working in high tech computer firms still have to act like childish
whining DOPES if they can't have their way?

--
"Yellow... black and rectangular... with wedged shapes inside... Oh, I see
them everywhere... Am I losing my mind?"

rmura@world.std.com (Ron Mura) (09/04/90)

In article <2889@wyse.wyse.com> benefiel@wyse.wyse.com (Daniel Benefiel xtmp x2531 dept234) writes:

> (My personal story is that since I was in 2nd grade I've been very
> interested in wild birds and completely nonplussed by captive birds.
> Then I joined this group to learn more about birds which I'm now
> doing with both INDOOR and OUTDOOR postings.  So I like the group
> the way it is.)

I haven't read much of the debate, but for what it's worth I like it the
way it is too.

I would also like to see the hotlines (now sent via mailing list) in a
newsgroup, whether it is this one or another one.
--
- Ron Mura, Boston, Mass.                   rmura@world.std.com

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) writes:

|In article <1990Aug28.045702.21315@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, richman@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael Richman) writes:

|Now they tell us that we actually condon their presence (does this
|sound like Saddam Hussein, or what?), though this discussion keeps
|popping up every couple of months.

Who is this 'us'? I condone the pet birders posting here. Most others seem
to also. If you don't agree, then we will have to hold you as our 'guest'
:-)

|justification for their actions in the philosophy of: "two wrongs
|do, indeed, make a right".

No, but two rights make a left!

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

sandra@pyrtech.pyramid.com (Sandra Macika) (09/05/90)

In article <9720014@hpfcso.HP.COM> ron@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ron Miller) writes:

>(BTW, my newsreader show 3 of 25 active topics being INDOOR related.
> Yup, we have a REAL BIG PROBLEM!)
>
>Ron

I'm just guessing - 20 of them were about inappropriate postings?

Sandra

In article <3271@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> geek@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Chris Schmandt) writes:

>Can anyone tell me how to automatically kill messages from a
>particular sender, using "rn"??
>
>chris

I am interested too. If anyone knows, please post.

Thanks,
Sandra

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (09/06/90)

In article <6207@adobe.UUCP>, dkletter@adobe.COM (It's all fun and games until
someone PUTS AN EYE OUT) writes:
> don't y'all think it's funny that a bunch of highly educated adults
> working in high tech computer firms still have to act like childish
> whining DOPES if they can't have their way?

Actually I glad that someone at least sees how STUPID this whole thing really
is.  "It's my sandbox, and you can't come in!"

Snicker.
--
Kurt Baumann
703.709.9890

hanrahan@crg8.sqnt.com (Tom Hanrahan) (09/08/90)

In article <2912@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

>|justification for their actions in the philosophy of: "two wrongs
>|do, indeed, make a right".
>
>No, but two rights make a left!

Actually, two rights make a U-Turn.  Three rights make a left.

--
-- Tom Hanrahan

hanrahan@crg8.sqnt.com (Tom Hanrahan) writes:

>In article <2912@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>>No, but two rights make a left!
>Actually, two rights make a U-Turn.  Three rights make a left.

Yea, I realized that after I posted it but I figured it wasn't worth
the trouble to correct myself. But after seeing your message and getting
some email on it I decided to correct myself:
"No John, I am Wrong. 2 rights make a back, 3 rights make a left and 4 rights
make a circle."

There. I feel better.

OB bird posting: INDOOR:
I just gave away my two parakeets (or is that pair o' 'keets)
they have a nice new home with two other 'keets. I just didn't have the
time for them after I got my new puppy.