[rec.birds] Carolina Parakeet

andrewt@cs.su.oz (Andrew Taylor) (09/12/90)

In article <1990Sep11.164408.3602@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> rcb33483@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kehaar) writes:
>Yes, it was--I believe it was the only parrot on the planet that was endemic to
>an area with a termperate clime.  I KNOW it was the only parrot endemic to N.
>America.  Until we (mainly orchard owners) hunted that to extinction.

There are quite few temperate parrots though only a couple in the
Northen hemisphere. I think the Carolina Parakeet could have been the
northern-most parrot if it was found further north than the Thick-Billed.

dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu (David Mark) (09/12/90)

In article <1192@cluster.cs.su.oz.au> andrewt@cluster.cs.su.oz (Andrew Taylor) writes:

>There are quite few temperate parrots though only a couple in the
>Northen hemisphere. I think the Carolina Parakeet could have been the
>northern-most parrot if it was found further north than the Thick-Billed.

The Carolina Parakeet certainly extended far north of any record of
Thick-billed Parrot.  Thick-billed used to wander north only to southeast
Arizona (probably no records north of 33 degrees latitude), whereas
Carolina Parakeet extended north into Iowa and SE Wisconsin (latitude
about 43).  Thus it extended about as far pole-ward as southern
Tasmania.  Do any parrots in Argentina or Chile extend south of 43?

David Mark
dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu

jbm@safn2.UUCP (John McClatchey) (09/12/90)

In article <35658@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu (David Mark) writes:
> In article <1192@cluster.cs.su.oz.au> andrewt@cluster.cs.su.oz (Andrew Taylor) writes:
> >
> >There are quite few temperate parrots though only a couple in the
> >Northen hemisphere. I think the Carolina Parakeet could have been the
> >northern-most parrot if it was found further north than the Thick-Billed.
>
>Do any parrots in Argentina or Chile extend south of 43?

I don't know about Argentina or Chile or South America but
I recall that there are some very rare parrots in New Zealand
which occupy niches reserved for Crows and scavengers elsewhere.
I think one species is called a Kea.  If they range to the
southern end of the South Island, that would be 46 degrees.
Does anyone know something about this?

John McClatchey

sandee@sun16 (Daan Sandee) (09/13/90)

In article <35658@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu (David Mark) writes:
>[ .. ]
>Carolina Parakeet extended north into Iowa and SE Wisconsin (latitude
>about 43).  Thus it extended about as far pole-ward as southern
>Tasmania.  Do any parrots in Argentina or Chile extend south of 43?
>
>David Mark
>dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu

The nominate subspecies of Austral Parakeet (Microsittace f. ferruginea)
lives on Tierra del Fuego and the immediately adjacent mainland. Tierra del
Fuego reaches 55 S latitude. South of there, there's only Antarctica and some
islands.

Daan Sandee                                           sandee@sun16.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052  (904) 644-7045

AChamove@massey.ac.nz (A.S. Chamove) (09/13/90)

The kea ranges throughout New Zealand and seems happy scurrying around
in the snow.  In the absence of non-avian predators, they evolved into
all sort of niches here. And they still look like parrots too which is
nice.

root@cs.su.oz (Deus ex Machina) (09/13/90)

writes:
>The Carolina Parakeet certainly extended far north of any record of
>Thick-billed Parrot.  Thick-billed used to wander north only to southeast
>Arizona (probably no records north of 33 degrees latitude), whereas
>Carolina Parakeet extended north into Iowa and SE Wisconsin (latitude
>about 43).  Thus it extended about as far pole-ward as southern
>Tasmania.  Do any parrots in Argentina or Chile extend south of 43?

I think several would. Austral Conure occurs on Tierra del Fuego (55 S).
There are parrots on the islands south of New Zealand too. I think
Red-fronted Parakeet was wiped out from Macquarie Island which is the
same latitude as Tierra Del Fuego. Its hard to image parrots living
among Penguins, Petrels, Albatrosses and Elephant Seals.

sunia@hpspdra.HP.COM (Sunia Yang) (09/13/90)

New Zealand actually has quite a few types of parrots but the kea is
what every scrub jay would like to grow up to be.  It's a brownish
green bird with a bill the size of your index finger, standing about
one and a half to two feet tall.  They continually hound tourists in
Fiordland- a huge national park in South New Zealand, tearing rubber
trim off windowshields, trying to make off with  backpacks, etc.  The
sheep ranchers hate them because they are reputed to attack sheep,
espcially young and sick.  Not a very nice bird.

Sunia "I wish I were there again" Yang