[rec.birds] hawk watching around DC?

vivek@seine.cs.umd.edu (Vivek Nirkhe) (09/14/90)

Which are the good places for watching hawks around DC? I mean about
50 miles. Are they already passing by this area?

- Vivek

--------------------------------------
vivek@amazon.cs.umd.edu

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (09/14/90)

In article <26544@mimsy.umd.edu>, vivek@seine.cs.umd.edu (Vivek Nirkhe) writes:

> Which are the good places for watching hawks around DC? I mean about
> 50 miles. Are they already passing by this area?
>
> - Vivek
>
> --------------------------------------
> vivek@amazon.cs.umd.edu

Try out at Great Falls Park.  I have seen several hanging out around there
while I was climbing.  One even came down and did a fly by to see what this
silly human was doing climbing up a cliff :-)

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

teexmmo@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Matthew Moore) (09/17/90)

Kurt Baumann) writes:
>Try out at Great Falls Park.  I have seen several hanging out around there
>while I was climbing.  One even came down and did a fly by to see what this
>silly human was doing climbing up a cliff :-)

Are you sure it wasnt a vulture? (-:

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (09/18/90)

In article <1990Sep17.102909.24679@ioe.lon.ac.uk> teexmmo@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Matthew Moore) writes:
>Kurt Baumann) writes:
>>Try out at Great Falls Park.  I have seen several hanging out around there
>>while I was climbing.  One even came down and did a fly by to see what this
>>silly human was doing climbing up a cliff :-)
>>
>Are you sure it wasnt a vulture? (-:

Good question since there ARE many vultures hanging out in that area :-).
But seriously folks, around Point of Rocks, Maryland, and out along Route
7 towards Leesburg, there are quite a few raptors waiting for the prey that
is being driven out by all the new construction out there.  I'm just afraid
that when the construction is finished, the hawks will go elsewhere and we
won't be able to watch them.

Mikki Barry