[rec.birds] Camp Robbers

mikeb@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Mike Bogar) (09/18/90)

as a "camp robber"?  I believe it is the latter, but it sure seemed to
me that my recent experiences with birds flocking to my lunch site for
a handout were with Nutcrackers.  We at about 4000 ft in the Oregon
Cascades; both birds occur in the area.

mikeb@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Mike Bogar) (09/18/90)

I am repeating my earlier article that I omitted a line from.

Is the Gray Jay or the Clark's Nutcracker the bird that is commonly
referred to as a camp robber?  I thought it was the latter, but believe
the birds that visited my lunch site recently were Nutcrackers.  We
were at 4000 ft in the Oregon Cascades and both birds occur in the area

sandra@pyrtech.pyramid.com (Sandra Macika) (09/18/90)

In article <9833@pogo.WV.TEK.COM> mikeb@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Mike Bogar) writes:

>I am repeating my earlier article that I omitted a line from.
>
>Is the Gray Jay or the Clark's Nutcracker the bird that is commonly
>referred to as a camp robber?  I thought it was the latter, but believe
>the birds that visited my lunch site recently were Nutcrackers.  We
>were at 4000 ft in the Oregon Cascades and both birds occur in the area

"Camp Robber" refers to the Stellar's Jay (blue body, black crested head)
hear in CA. Maybe several birds are called camp robbers depending on
who's doing the robbing!

Sandra

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (09/18/90)

 In article <9833@pogo.WV.TEK.COM>, mikeb@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Mike Bogar) writes:

 > I am repeating my earlier article that I omitted a line from.
 >
 > Is the Gray Jay or the Clark's Nutcracker the bird that is commonly
 > referred to as a camp robber?  I thought it was the latter, but believe
 > the birds that visited my lunch site recently were Nutcrackers.  We
 > were at 4000 ft in the Oregon Cascades and both birds occur in the area

	While I was at the ABA convention in Colorado, I went on
the Rocky Mountain field trip and the leaders kept describing the
Gray Jay as the "camp robber". Sure enough, when we stopped for lunch,
the Gray Jays came around looking for handouts. However, there is a
spot along Trail Ridge Road where people stop for the view and to
feed the birds, most of which are Clark's Nutcrackers. Perhaps the
name should apply equally well to both.

Mike

john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) (09/18/90)

Sandra Macika (sandra@pyrtech.pyramid.com) writes:
+--
| "Camp Robber" refers to the Steller's Jay...in CA. Maybe
| several birds are called camp robbers depending on who's
| doing the robbing!
+--

Right you are---Gray Jay, Clark's Nutcracker are the most
common birds to rate this name, but probably all the jays
deserve it somewhere.  ``Whiskey Jack'' is another common
name applied to Gray Jay.
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, NM/john@jupiter.nmt.edu
``Let's go outside and commiserate with nature.''  --Dave Farber

dgraham@kean.ucs.mun.ca (David Graham) (09/18/90)

writes:
>>Is the Gray Jay or the Clark's Nutcracker the bird that is commonly
>>referred to as a camp robber?  I thought it was the latter, but believe
>
> "Camp Robber" refers to the Stellar's Jay (blue body, black crested head)
> hear in CA. Maybe several birds are called camp robbers depending on
> who's doing the robbing!

In Newfoundland, where we don't have Clark's Nutcracker or Steller's
Jay, Gray Jay is definitely known as a 'camp robber'. In parts of the
island, it's hard to eat *anything* without having them gather, though
they don't tend to be as aggressive as nutcrackers.

   David Graham					dgraham@kean.ucs.mun.ca

grp@Unify.com (Greg Pasquariello) (09/19/90)

In article <9833@pogo.WV.TEK.COM>, mikeb@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Mike Bogar) writes:

> I am repeating my earlier article that I omitted a line from.
>
> Is the Gray Jay or the Clark's Nutcracker the bird that is commonly
> referred to as a camp robber?  I thought it was the latter, but believe
> the birds that visited my lunch site recently were Nutcrackers.  We
> were at 4000 ft in the Oregon Cascades and both birds occur in the area

Gray Jays are the birds called "Camp Robbers" in much of the north.  In
Maine and Eastern Canada, they are the only ones, as Nutcrackers do not
exist in these areas.  In the west, however, Nutcrackers are often found
waiting for handouts, so I guess the name could apply equally as well, as
it probably could to almost any of the jays.
--

-Greg Pasquariello	grp@unify.com

dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu (David Mark) (09/19/90)

writes:
>>Is the Gray Jay or the Clark's Nutcracker the bird that is commonly
>>referred to as a camp robber?  I thought it was the latter, but believe
>
>In Newfoundland, where we don't have Clark's Nutcracker or Steller's
>Jay, Gray Jay is definitely known as a 'camp robber'. In parts of the
>island, it's hard to eat *anything* without having them gather, though
>they don't tend to be as aggressive as nutcrackers.

In British Columbia, where we have all three, I have only ever heard the
term "camp robber" applied to Gray Jay.  I have never seen Steller's Jays
be aggressive beggars/thieves as Gray Jays, but I have certainly seen
Clark's Nutcrackers play that aggressive role.  But never heard of them picking
up the nickname.

David Mark
dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu