[rec.birds] Golden Eagles & Sheep

rising@zoo.toronto.edu (Jim Rising) (09/14/90)

I've looked up info. in the dietary habits of the Golden Eagle in the
"Handbook of North American Birds," vol. 5 (ed. R. S. Palmer, 1988,
that may be of some general interest.  Apparently Golden Eagles do
est lambs and kids, fairly frequently in some populations, but it
thought that they rarely attack lambs more than 7-10 days old.  Records
are difficult to assess because they do eat carrion.  In the summary
under FOOD, I quote (with parenthetical material removed):
  "Goldens have been reported to prey on full-grown deer, but doubt
  remains that deer can be killed (as by eagles hunting cooperatively)
  unless already injured or otherwise handicapped.  A "good-sized"
  blacktail was reportedly killed in Mont.; a 4-point whitetail in
  Ariz. foundered in deep snow, was attacked, succumbed, and was
  dragged downhill where 3 eagles fed on it.  Deer fawns are taken
  with some frequency in certain places.  In sw. Yukon, the capture
  of several Dall's sheep lambs was observed; there was a scarcity
  of usual prey.  The evidence for taking pronghorns, especially
  small fawns, is solid, but evidence from eagle digestive tracts--
  of this as well as other species--could pertain to carrion.  Grown
  pronghorns are more likely to become victims in severe winters.
  Five Goldens fed on a female pronghorn killed by 1 or more of
  them.  Two cooperated in killing an elk calf.  There is
  insignificant predation on young caribou, highorns, and mountain
  goats; young eagles sometimes harass them, possibly a form of play."

I was one who guessed Golden Eagle on the trivia test (had heard of
the kea but couldn't remember the name).  Apparently they do not
kill full grown sheep, although on the basis of what I've quoted
above it would seem a possibility in certain circumstances.
--
Name:     Jim Rising
Mail:     Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada    M5S 1A1

bob@delphi.uchicago.edu (Robert S. Lewis, Jr.) (09/18/90)

I read somewhere that in Russia noblemen used to hunt wolves with
golden eagles.  Anyone know if this is true?  I imagine a full-grown
wolf is as difficult to kill as a sheep....

Rob Lewis

john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) (09/19/90)

Robert S. Lewis, Jr. (bob@delphi.UUCP) writes:
+--
| I read somewhere that in Russia noblemen used to hunt
| wolves with golden eagles.  Anyone know if this is true?
| I imagine a full-grown wolf is as difficult to kill as a
| sheep....
+--

I don't know about Russian noblemen, but the Mongols used to
train golden eagles specifically to kill wolves from
horseback.  They used a special perch that attached to their
saddles and propped up their arms---this took the bird's
weight off the rider's arm (try holding a 25-pound weight
with your arm straight out for a few hours!).  It also
allowed the rider to catapult-launch the eagle by swinging
their arm forward, helping the eagle to get to flight speed
quickly.

Based on what I've heard, the eagles were pretty successful
at killing wolves.  The eagle would plant its feet on the
wolf's neck and break its spine.  The legs and feet of
eagles are quite strong.
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, NM/john@jupiter.nmt.edu
``Let's go outside and commiserate with nature.''  --Dave Farber

teexmmo@ioe.lon.ac.uk (Matthew Moore) (09/20/90)

(Robert S. Lewis, Jr.) writes:
>I read somewhere that in Russia noblemen used to hunt wolves with
>golden eagles.  Anyone know if this is true?  I imagine a full-grown
>wolf is as difficult to kill as a sheep....

Sheep are much harder to kill 'cos you have to make sure they dont
bite!