[rec.birds] INDOOR: Making perchs

whitling@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Donna Whitlinger) (09/24/90)

I recently acquired a manzanita branch which was cut from a tree in California.
I'd like to make a perch for my cockatiel out of it.  What do I need to do to
it before allowing him to sit/walk/chew/play on it.

Thanks in advance,

Donna Whitlinger
whitling@andromeda.rutgers.edu
...!rutgers!andromeda!whitling

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (09/25/90)

In article <Sep.24.11.19.12.1990.8911@galaxy.rutgers.edu>,
whitling@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Donna Whitlinger) writes:
> I recently acquired a manzanita branch which was cut from a tree in California.
> I'd like to make a perch for my cockatiel out of it.  What do I need to do to
> it before allowing him to sit/walk/chew/play on it.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Donna Whitlinger
> whitling@andromeda.rutgers.edu
> ...!rutgers!andromeda!whitling

Umm, clean it, and then cut it to the size you need.  I usually leave about
3/4 inch more than the measurement between the cage sides, I then cut a slot
in each end so that a cage bar fits in it.  That way the perch won't rotate
while the bird is sitting on it.

Kurt Baumann
--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products