[net.unix-wizards] DEC support of Unix

lauren@LBL-UNIX@sri-unix (11/25/82)

From: Lauren Weinstein <vortex!lauren@LBL-UNIX>
Date: Tue Nov 23 1982 22:25:18 PST
I've continued prodding the ether on this subject, and I'm getting
what appear to be completely random sorts of answers from various
sources.  Various DEC people I've spoken to, all of whom claim
to understand the current DEC / UNIX situation, are coming up with
completely different policy statements regarding VAX UNIX implementations.

Some of the popular ones are:

1) DEC has no plans to support Unix on the VAX at this time.
2) DEC would like to support Unix on the VAX, but a long period
   of negotiations has yet to even begin.
3) DEC plans to support Unix on the VAX, but only for certain
   large government concerns (or very large corporate accounts).
   Negotiations still must take place, no timeframe exists.

Everyone seems to expect some sort of "protectionist" attitude
relating to existing VMS systems, and nobody seems to have any
idea what kind of resources would ever be dedicated to a Unix
support group.

There are people out there who COULD answer this question for sure
if they wanted to.  Right now, all the information I've found seems
to be rather contradictory.

--Lauren--