[rec.birds] Birding in Germany

tjo@edsel.siemens.edu (Tom Ostrand) (10/09/90)

Are there any German birders reading rec.birds?  I'd like to
know about field guides for Germany or central Europe,
especially ones written in German.  One of my goals is to
find out what the German names are for common species that
exist in the USA also.
Thanks in advance,

--
        Tom Ostrand   		      | tjo@cadillac.siemens.com
	Siemens Corporate Research    | 609-734-6569

dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu (David Mark) (10/09/90)

In article <tjo.655421795@edsel> tjo@edsel.siemens.edu (Tom Ostrand) writes:
>Are there any German birders reading rec.birds?  I'd like to
>know about field guides for Germany or central Europe,
>especially ones written in German.  One of my goals is to
>find out what the German names are for common species that
>exist in the USA also.

The Peterson, Mountfort, & Hollom, "Field Guide to the Birds of Britain
and Europe" gives the German names, as well as the French, Dutch, Swedish,
and (where relevant) American names for all the birds.  So that is a handy
source, although I would have found Spanish useful in Spain this year, and
almost all Swedish and Dutch birders are fairly fluent in English.

David Mark
dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu

misan@ra.abo.fi (Annika Forsten DC) (10/12/90)

In article <tjo.655421795@edsel> tjo@edsel.siemens.edu (Tom Ostrand) writes:

>   Are there any German birders reading rec.birds?  I'd like to
>   know about field guides for Germany or central Europe,
>   especially ones written in German.  One of my goals is to
>   find out what the German names are for common species that
>   exist in the USA also.
>   Thanks in advance,

Apart from getting an English book (like Peterson's The Birds of Britain
and Europe) you can get translations of most European Field Guides in
German. You'd probably have to get them from a German speaking country
though. I subscribe to Limicola, a German magazine. If you're intrested
I could probably dig up adresses to bookstores from their advertisments.
Let me know in case you really want a German book.

Annika Forsten, Finland

wwf@oz.plymouth.edu (Dr. Wavell Fogleman) (10/13/90)

The Peterson , et al, guide to Birds of Britain and Europe is available
in a German language edition.  The Bertel, Bruun, Singer guide to Birds
of Europe may be also...at least I have a Spanish version and am guessing
on other languages being available.  Don't have any good place to check
for buying one stateside, sorry