[rec.birds] INDOOR: Need info on Jendays

llovero@bbn.com (Linda Lovero) (10/12/90)

I am interested in buying another bird (I now have a cockatiel) and have
the opportunity to buy a hand-fed baby Jenday for about $400.  I am told that
Jendays are quieter than Nandays, like to clown around, and are reasonable
talkers.  Does $400 sound like a good price?  I haven't found any Jendays
anywhere else, so it's hard to compare.  Does anyone know mature Jendays?
Do they get aggressive or nippy when they get older?  How do the male and
female differ in personality?  I live in a duplex so I have to be
sensitive to the amount of noise they make.

I was also interested in the Quaker parrot, but understand they're illegal
in Massachusetts.  Just for future reference, can anyone tell me about
them?

Thanks,

Linda

hubler@tomcat.lerc.nasa.gov (Dale Hubler) (10/15/90)

In article <59985@bbn.BBN.COM> llovero@BBN.COM (Linda Lovero) writes:

>I am interested in buying another bird  and have
>the opportunity to buy a hand-fed baby Jenday for about $400.  I am told that
>Jendays are quieter than Nandays, like to clown around, and are reasonable
>talkers.  Does $400 sound like a good price?  I haven't found any Jendays
>
>Linda

    A Jenday and a Nanday are both Aratinga conures and one is likely
to be as loud as the other.  I would rather have Amazons than conures
because a conure hits a particularly grating pitch when it screams.
Conures are quite playful and can learn trick behaviors well.  They are
not known for their talking ability but can learn to mimic to some
extent.  Pricing differs by regions but $400 does not seem out of
line.  Often Jendays are bought for their coloring and this tends
to drive the price above that of a Nanday.