[rec.birds] INDOOR: Parrots, Which ones?

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (10/03/90)

In article <4409@trantor.harris-atd.com>, trish@trantor.harris-atd.com (Trish
Stuckey) writes:

>       My cockatiel of 12 years just recently died.  I've decided to
>  get a new bird.  I'd like some advice about which birds in the
>  parrot family make the best pets.
>
>       Please E-Mail me as I don't read this news group.  Also
>   I'd like some advice fast.
> --
>
>    Trish Stuckey
>    E-Mail:trish@trantor.harris-atd.com

Congrats on having a cockatiel that lived to the ripe old age of 12.

If you would like to get a slightly larger bird, take a look at the African
group of parrots.  Birds like the: Senegal, Meyers, Red Belly, and ,of course,
the Grey.  All make fabulous pets.  They are quiet, but do learn to talk,
and as handfed babies are very loving.

Cockatoos, are very good pets, if you have a lot of time and have the space.
They tend to make a far amount of noise, especially if you are not paying
attention to them when they want it. :-)  One of the other draw backs are
the amount of powder they produce, Cockatiels produce powder as well, but
they are smaller birds so it doesn't become as bad of a problem.  Cockatoos
are very loving and like to be with their Human owners.  Take a look at a
handfed Goffin Cockatoo, they are general very reasonable in price, are the
clowns of this family, and are small.  If flash is your cake then look into
a Major Mitchells (have a large pocket book too), or even a Moluccan.

Macaws can be lots of fun, but they are very large and do make a good bit
of noise when they want to.  But if you are not intimidated by their large
beaks and size then these are wonderful intelligent creatures.  Go for a
Greenwing or a Blue and Gold, most of the others are usually (*smuggled*),
such as the Scarlet, and Millitary.  Most of the others are too expensive
currently.

Hope that helps.  Without knowing if you live in a apartment, country estate,
money you want to spend, size of bird, it is impossible to suggest a bird,
most birds are fun and enjoyable.

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

jimallen@hpcuha.HP.COM (Jim Allen) (10/03/90)

How about a nice Amazon?  I have
had mine (Lefty) for about four
years now and have made a very
close friend.  She isn't much
larger than your bird and is very
easy to maintain.

ron@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ron Miller) (10/03/90)

Re: New (pet) bird

If you plan to go back to work later, I think a cockatoo is not a good
choice. Cockatoos want LOTS of attention and generally don't accomodate
themselves to being alone for most of the day.

Amazons, while being generally less cuddlable, don't feather pick or
get excessively neurotic if the humans aren't instantly available
all day long.

We have a hand fed yellow nape who we bottle-fed 4 times a day for
4 months. She's a good pet who can handle being alone some of the time.
For an amazon, she's pretty nice and can be scratched quite often. (That's
cuddly for an amazon)

I don't know about African types.

Just some opinions,

Ron

trish@trantor.harris-atd.com (Trish Stuckey) (10/04/90)

    In article <9720015@hpfcso.HP.COM>, ron@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ron Miller) writes:
|> Re: New (pet) bird
|>

|> If you plan to go back to work later, I think a cockatoo is not a good
|> choice. Cockatoos want LOTS of attention and generally don't accomodate
|> themselves to being alone for most of the day.
|>
|> Amazons, while being generally less cuddlable, don't feather pick or
|> get excessively neurotic if the humans aren't instantly available
|> all day long.
|>
|> We have a hand fed yellow nape who we bottle-fed 4 times a day for
|> 4 months. She's a good pet who can handle being alone some of the time.
|> For an amazon, she's pretty nice and can be scratched quite often. (That's
|> cuddly for an amazon)
|>
|> I don't know about African types.
|>

|> Just some opinions,
|>
|> Ron

     Thanks for the info.  I've really been looking into this alot.
I`ve found your right about a cockatoo.  I've thought about an
Amazon (I've been going and holding this Lilac Crown Amazon, its about
5 months old),  but I've been told that they are not even tempered,
they're unpredictable birds.

     So now I'm starting to look into the Macaws,  I've heard that
they are very affectionate and loving birds, they don't talk but
can handle being left alone.
--

mm@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Mike Mahler) (10/04/90)

In article <4441@trantor.harris-atd.com> trish@trantor.harris-atd.com (Trish Stuckey) writes:

>     So now I'm starting to look into the Macaws,  I've heard that
>they are very affectionate and loving birds, they don't talk but
>can handle being left alone.

	Who told you they don't talk?  They do.  They are
	also VERY loud when they want attention.

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (10/05/90)

In article <2592@lectroid.sw.stratus.com>, mm@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Mike
Mahler) writes:
> In article <4441@trantor.harris-atd.com> trish@trantor.harris-atd.com (Trish Stuckey) writes:
>
> >     So now I'm starting to look into the Macaws,  I've heard that
> >they are very affectionate and loving birds, they don't talk but
> >can handle being left alone.
>

> 	Who told you they don't talk?  They do.  They are
> 	also VERY loud when they want attention.

Snicker, just what I was going to say.

We had a Greenwing in our front office for awhile.  Great bird.  Loved Pizza
and would ask for it LOTS and LOUDLY.  Sigh, his owner finally took him home.

The problem here is that you really haven't said too much about what you
are looking for.  Most birds make good pets.  They all have their good and
bad points.  Some are better in an apartment, some are better with lots of
room.

Africans, all of them can talk.  The Grey is almost like having a digital
sampler in the room with you.  They can sound so much like another human
that you will be answering them, only to find the bird laughing at you.
The smaller ones are very quiet, but still talk up a storm.  Not as clearly
as the Grey, but still the do talk.  They are also very easy to keep in a
cage the same size as the one you have for your cockatiel.

Macaws, are lots of fun.  They have very outgoing personalities.  Don't NEED
to have attention like a Cockatoo, but they can develop some loud habits.
They tend to be a bit more "agressive" or pushy.  They will try to train
you.  They need a large cage, one in which they can at the least spread and
flap their wings while in it.

Cockatoos can be great birds.  But yes they do require a lot of attention
and will be very noisy about it if they don't get it.  On the other hand,
if you can get one and handfeed it, and can stick to a very strick time schedule
then they are managable.  The trick is that you have to spend strick time
frames with the bird.  Once they fall into a pattern just DON'T break it.

Amazons can be left alone, talk, are small.  They can be unpredictable,
especially once they get into breeding mode.  If they precieve you as a mate
they will treat you like one.  Which can mean that no one can be in the room
with you while the bird is with you, and you can get bit.  But we have a
Yellow Nape that is quite the clown and loves to roll around on the floor
with a pencil.

--

bjb@ncrorl.Orlando.NCR.COM (Barbara Bowen) (10/08/90)

In article <4441@trantor.harris-atd.com> trish@trantor.harris-atd.com (Trish Stuckey) writes:

>     Thanks for the info.  I've really been looking into this alot.
>I`ve found your right about a cockatoo.  I've thought about an
>Amazon (I've been going and holding this Lilac Crown Amazon, its about
>5 months old),  but I've been told that they are not even tempered,
>they're unpredictable birds.

Ok, now my $.02 worth.  Who told you a Lilac Crown was unpredictible?
I've been hand-raising amazons and large and small parrots for nearly
(over) 25 yrs, and find JUST THE OPPOSITE!  A Congo Gray is one of the
few birds that will bite the hand that feeds it.  A Yellow Nape is
extremely unpredictable, but the Lilac Crown is indeed one of my
FAVORITE amazons.  They are funny, charming, cuddly, talkative and
really sweet.  However, ANY bird can tell if you are afraid of it, and
will take advantage of the situation.  Further, all psitticines, when
they reach sexual maturity, have a tendency to be more aggressive during
breeding season.  This is the nature of the beast, and you must respect
their feelings.
	Sorry for the soap box ...

--
  barbara.bowen@Orlando.NCR.COM         (...ncrlnk!ncrorl!bjb)
  NCR Corporation              Engineering & Manufacturing - Orlando

trish@trantor.harris-atd.com (Trish Stuckey) (10/08/90)

In article <270B9A9F.2DB2@intercon.com>, kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt
Baumann) writes:
|> In article <2592@lectroid.sw.stratus.com>, mm@lectroid.sw.stratus.com
(Mike
|> Mahler) writes:

|> > 	Who told you they don't talk?  They do.  They are
|> > 	also VERY loud when they want attention.
|> >

|> Snicker, just what I was going to say.

 I don't remember,  I've talked with SO many different people,
breeders,
pet shop owners, other people who own parrots and Vets.  Oh well, it
just
goes to show you once again, don't believe everything people tell you.

|> The problem here is that you really haven't said too much about what
you
|> are looking for.  Most birds make good pets.  They all have their
good and
|> bad points.  Some are better in an apartment, some are better with
lots of
|> room.

 That was part of my problem,  I had NO idea what I wanted.  I guess I
didn't realize how many different kinds of parrots there are (boy, I
know
now).

|> Africans, all of them can talk.  The Grey is almost like having a
digital
|> sampler in the room with you.  They can sound so much like another
human
|> that you will be answering them, only to find the bird laughing at
you.
|> The smaller ones are very quiet, but still talk up a storm.  Not as
clearly
|> as the Grey, but still the do talk.  They are also very easy to keep
in a
|> cage the same size as the one you have for your cockatiel.

 Again (I heard), Africans are the best talkers but they are skitso.

 Anyhow,  I want to thank everyone for all of there advice and
encouraging words.  I am now the VERY happy owner of a Indian
Ringneck.  I had never even heard of one of these until I held him
for 5 mins. and fell in love with him.

 If anyone has any comments or advice about these birds I'd love to
hear it.  He's 3 months old and just been weaned.

 What do they like to eat?  Is there anything I should know about
their traits.  He's just so darn cute.

   Thanks again for all you help.

bjb@ncrorl.Orlando.NCR.COM (Barbara Bowen) (10/09/90)

In article <4455@trantor.harris-atd.com> trish@trantor.harris-atd.com (Trish Stuckey) writes:

> Anyhow,  I want to thank everyone for all of there advice and
>encouraging words.  I am now the VERY happy owner of a Indian
>Ringneck.  I had never even heard of one of these until I held him
>for 5 mins. and fell in love with him.
>
> If anyone has any comments or advice about these birds I'd love to
>hear it.  He's 3 months old and just been weaned.

Trish - I don't know if you received my e-mail, as you did not respond.
	I'm glad you love your "ringer", you'd better.  They are nippy
	little beasties, no matter how sweet they are at 3 mos.  Be sure
	to handle this critter DAILY, else it will easily revert to
	biting.

	Cooked eggs, pasta, beans, corn, most veggies (mine LOVE
	chicken) are good.  As a rule, avoid fruits with pits (cherries,
	avacados, peaches, etc.) as pits are toxic to birds.  Avoid
	celery leaves (the leaves absorb any chemicals used in growing).

	Oh, and if anybody is interested, I have 4 turquoise indian
	ringnecks currently at 4 feedings per day.

--

bechar@inmet.inmet.com (10/17/90)

/* Written 10:16 am  Oct  9, 1990 by bjb@ncrorl.Orlando.NCR.COM in inmet:rec.birds */
In article <4455@trantor.harris-atd.com> trish@trantor.harris-atd.com (Trish Stuckey) writes:

> Anyhow,  I want to thank everyone for all of there advice and
>encouraging words.  I am now the VERY happy owner of a Indian
>Ringneck.  I had never even heard of one of these until I held him
>for 5 mins. and fell in love with him.
>
> If anyone has any comments or advice about these birds I'd love to
>hear it.  He's 3 months old and just been weaned.

Trish - I don't know if you received my e-mail, as you did not respond.
	I'm glad you love your "ringer", you'd better.  They are nippy
	little beasties, no matter how sweet they are at 3 mos.  Be sure
	to handle this critter DAILY, else it will easily revert to
	biting.

	Cooked eggs, pasta, beans, corn, most veggies (mine LOVE
	chicken) are good.  As a rule, avoid fruits with pits (cherries,
	avacados, peaches, etc.) as pits are toxic to birds.  Avoid
	celery leaves (the leaves absorb any chemicals used in growing).

	Oh, and if anybody is interested, I have 4 turquoise indian
	ringnecks currently at 4 feedings per day.

--
  barbara.bowen@Orlando.NCR.COM         (...ncrlnk!ncrorl!bjb)
  NCR Corporation              Engineering & Manufacturing - Orlando
  3200 Lake Emma Rd.           Special Systems Engineering Department
  Lake Mary, Florida 32746     USA
/* End of text from inmet:rec.birds */