[rec.birds] winter is here

hammy@bagheera.ctt.bellcore.com (John G. Smith) (10/19/90)

Winter would appear to have officially started.  The first of our
backyard "winter" species - about a dozen white-thorated sparrows -
showed up yesterday, and have been kicking and shuffling through the
fallen leaves ever since.  Next in should be the juncos.

John.
_____

John G. Smith   	email : hammy@ctt.bellcore.com
RRC 1H-213       	phone : (201) 699-4530

grp@Unify.com (Greg Pasquariello) (10/20/90)

In article <28014@bellcore.bellcore.com>,
hammy@bagheera.ctt.bellcore.com (John G. Smith) writes:

> Winter would appear to have officially started.  The first of our
> backyard "winter" species - about a dozen white-thorated sparrows -
> showed up yesterday, and have been kicking and shuffling through the
> fallen leaves ever since.  Next in should be the juncos.

We've had juncos for about 3 weeks now, but Golden-crowned sparrows
just
came in.  I'm still waiting for Steller's Jays.  I'm hoping to get some
Solitaires locally this winter too.  Lord knows we have enough berries
to feed an army.  Bohemian Waxwings would really be nice!

--

-Greg Pasquariello	grp@unify.com

rmura@world.std.com (Ron Mura) (10/22/90)

In article <28014@bellcore.bellcore.com> hammy@bagheera.ctt.bellcore.com (John G. Smith) writes:

> Winter would appear to have officially started.  The first of our
> backyard "winter" species - about a dozen white-thorated sparrows -
> showed up yesterday, and have been kicking and shuffling through the
> fallen leaves ever since.  Next in should be the juncos.

We saw our first juncos (all females) of the autumn here on Oct. 14.
No white-throateds yet, although they are less frequent than juncos.

Typical dates for junco arrival and departure in our area (west of Boston)
are Oct. 15 and April 15.  Their appearance at our feeders are framed
pretty closely by those dates most years, although it is not unusual
to get a straggler several days later in April.
--
- Ron Mura, Boston, Mass.                   rmura@world.std.com