[rec.birds] Harpy Eagle and Hoatzin

dgraham@kean.ucs.mun.ca (David Graham) (10/23/90)

Added two birds to my TV list last night (thanks to David Mark for
suggesting armchair listing!) by idly turning on PBS and happening on
some nature programme whose name I didn't get. First segment I saw had
a lot of very interesting footage of nesting Hoatzins in Cuyabeno,
Ecuador, including the young birds using their wing claws to clamber
around in the branches, and showing a young bird swimming away to hide
after jumping out of a tree to escape a native egg collector.

The second segment was truly amazing. It concerned footage of Harpy
Eagles shot in Guyana. Again, a nesting pair was shown feeding their
chick over a period of about 5 months, but the best shots were of
flying Harpies sailing over the canopy, including one of a female
plucking a 3-kilo sloth from a treetop and flying off to the nest with
it. The sloth was apparently about 1/2 her body weight, which seems
incredible to me, and I was moved to wonder what bird can lift the
greatest percentage of its own body weight, and whether any bird can
out-lift a Harpy Eagle. Monkey-eating Eagle comes to mind, but I
believe they're slightly smaller than a Harpy. I was struck by the
wing shape of the Harpies shown in the show: their wings are
extraordinarily broad (i.e. from front to back) in addition to being
very long (> 2m wingspan) and I presume this is what allows them to
carry such large payloads. Their wingbeats are quite slow, and they
don't look very manoeuverable, but slow-motion showed the female Harpy
turning completely on one side to snatch the sloth off its tree-trunk,
so they aren't clumsy either.

Magnificent-looking creatures, anyway... anyone here actually seen
one?

   David Graham					dgraham@kean.ucs.mun.ca

andrewt@cs.su.oz (Andrew Taylor) (10/25/90)

In article <147956@kean.ucs.mun.ca> dgraham@kean.ucs.mun.ca (David Graham)
writes:
> The sloth was apparently about 1/2 her body weight, which seems
> incredible to me, and I was moved to wonder what bird can lift the
> greatest percentage of its own body weight, and whether any bird can
> out-lift a Harpy Eagle.

There are records of Harpys lifting sloths about their own weight.
There are records of similar achievements for other eagles. I know
peregrines kill prey up to twice their body weight. I don't know if they can
carry such prey. Some owls have serious lifting capability too,
I've heard of an (Australian) Powerful Owls taking (and lifting) a Lyrebird
which I think would outweigh the owl. Eagle-Owls may be even more
formidable.

> Magnificent-looking creatures, anyway... anyone here actually seen one?

I've seen the South American Crowned Eagle (similar habits and appearance)
which was exciting, finding Harpys is non-trivial.

Andrew

mjm@oliven.olivetti.com (Michael Mammoser) (10/26/90)

In article <1310@cluster.cs.su.oz.au>, andrewt@cs.su.oz (Andrew Taylor) writes:
 > In article <147956@kean.ucs.mun.ca> dgraham@kean.ucs.mun.ca (David Graham)
 > writes:
 > > The sloth was apparently about 1/2 her body weight, which seems
 > > incredible to me, and I was moved to wonder what bird can lift the
 > > greatest percentage of its own body weight, and whether any bird can
 > > out-lift a Harpy Eagle.
 >
 > There are records of Harpys lifting sloths about their own weight.
 > There are records of similar achievements for other eagles. I know
 > peregrines kill prey up to twice their body weight. I don't know if they can
 > carry such prey. Some owls have serious lifting capability too,
 > I've heard of an (Australian) Powerful Owls taking (and lifting) a Lyrebird
 > which I think would outweigh the owl. Eagle-Owls may be even more
 > formidable.

	I've heard of shrikes (Loggerhead, I believe) carrying their
own weight. Of course, they can only manage to do this a couple of
feet above the ground. I observed a Loggerhead Shrike carrying a
House Finch in this manner (just above the ground); a bird which is
a fair percentage of the weight of the shrike.

Mike