[rec.birds] Behavioral Problems - Macaws

ramsey@kona.cs.ucla.edu (Brenda Ramsey) (11/01/90)

Big-Bird is a 1 year old Hyacinth Macaw with a LOUD voice.
His normal babbling is tolerable, but when he screeches it
is enough to wake the dead.

Patti brought him to *bird school* over the weekend and the
*teacher*, who has been training birds of all types for years,
suggested "THE BLACK BOX" routine for him.  A wooden box, painted
black on the inside, no holes, large enough to deposit the bird
so he cannot turn around, was recommended.  When the screeching
starts, pick him up, deposit in the box and leave him for
3 minutes.  If he screeches after he is deposited, he stays in
3 minutes from that time.  In her experience, it should take
no more than 1-1/2 weeks of constant *in the box sessions* to
cure him of this bad behavior.  When Patti was in her house, which
is inhabited by 3-4 Macaws, several Cockatoos, several Amazons,
it was perfectly QUIET.

After the screeching stops, and hopefully it will, the next
behavioral problem will be to teach him to stay PUT on his
perch until he is offered the opportunity to move.

Has anyone else encountered such behavioral problems with
their birds?  I will forward all my comments to Patti....I
am a CAT person!

Thanks

--
Brenda Ramsey  (213) 825-2778
UCLA Computer Science Department

mm@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Mike Mahler) (11/01/90)

	Why stop there?  What about a shock collar (make sure
	you shave the feathers off around his neck).  ;-} as they say.

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct31.174425.13520@cs.ucla.edu>, ramsey@kona.cs.ucla.edu
(Brenda Ramsey) writes:
> Has anyone else encountered such behavioral problems with
> their birds?  I will forward all my comments to Patti....I
> am a CAT person!
>
> Thanks

Were as I sympathize with you.  It needs to be pointed out that the screeching
is part of their (the birds) NORMAL behavior.  It is looking for attention
(which is why the black box works), calling for other macaws in the area,
etc..  To term it a behavioral problem is like saying that your talking to
a friend is a problem.

We have used the "black box" behavior modification when they get too loud,
and in general it works fairly well.  The getting off the perch problem I
have found that you just need to be persistant in putting the bird back on
the perch a couple of times and then on the 3rd jump put it back in the cage.
Eventually it gets the idea that if it wants to stay out it needs to stay
put on the perch.  Just make sure that if it stays on for 15 minutes or so
you take it off and play with it then put it back again.  It takes time.

Kurt
--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

susans@cfi.COM (susans) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct31.174425.13520@cs.ucla.edu> ramsey@kona.cs.ucla.edu (Brenda Ramsey) writes:
>Big-Bird is a 1 year old Hyacinth Macaw with a LOUD voice.
>His normal babbling is tolerable, but when he screeches it
>is enough to wake the dead.

	That's the nature of the bird!  Didn't she do any research
	before buying such a huge and expensive bird?  If she
	wanted quiet, she had many, many choices of birds quieter.

>Patti brought him to *bird school* over the weekend and the
>*teacher*, who has been training birds of all types for years,
>suggested "THE BLACK BOX" routine for him.  A wooden box, painted
>black on the inside, no holes, large enough to deposit the bird
>so he cannot turn around, was recommended.  When the screeching
>starts, pick him up, deposit in the box and leave him for

	This sounds cruel to me.  The nature of birds is to
	signal their "joy of living" through their voice.  They
	"talk" to their human friends too.  Ridding a pet of
	a vice, such as biting, is desireable, but trying to
	squelch the bird's natural means of communication through
	a torture system of solitary confinement seems, to me,
	to be wrong.

	She should sell the bird to someone who knows what they're
	dealing with--or do a lot of reading and talking to
	other macaw owners.  Bird Talk magazine has lots of articles
	on such "problems."
--
                        Susan S. (susans@cfi.com)

                        Another Friend of Bill's

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (11/02/90)

In article <272F4B3A.D9E@intercon.com>, kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann)
writes:
> We have used the "black box" behavior modification when they get too loud,
> and in general it works fairly well.

Hmm, in further reading this I think that I need to explain.  We put the
bird in a pet carrier, in a dark room.  Not in an enclosed box.  Sorry about
that.
--

steveg@hpcvnb.CV.HP.COM (Steven_Grant) (11/02/90)

>Patti brought him to *bird school* over the weekend and the
>*teacher*, who has been training birds of all types for years,
>suggested "THE BLACK BOX" routine for him.  A wooden box, painted
>black on the inside, no holes, large enough to deposit the bird
>so he cannot turn around, was recommended.  When the screeching
>starts, pick him up, deposit in the box and leave him for
>3 minutes.  If he screeches after he is deposited, he stays in
>3 minutes from that time.  In her experience, it should take
>no more than 1-1/2 weeks of constant *in the box sessions* to
>cure him of this bad behavior.  When Patti was in her house, which

I use(d) a similar technique to curb unwanted behavior in my conure.
Not surprising, screaming is one of those unwanted behaviors :-)
Instead of the black box I just use a cage in the back room with a
blanket over the top of it.  NO toys, food or anything fun in it!

I find it very affective!  He still screams once in a while, but if it
gets out of hand 5 minutes in the birdie prison takes care of the
problem for a long time (at least the rest of the day).

lark@tivoli.UUCP (Lar Kaufman) (11/02/90)

Yeah, I bet it _is_ quiet over at that trainer's concentration camp for
birds.  Several comments.  First, the greater macaws and amazons are very
intelligent birds.  I guess if such techniques work on, say, Patty Hurst,
they will work on one of these birds.  But (let me be perfectly clear
about this) IT WOULD BE WRONG.  A person who is not prepared to accept
and accomodate the natural behavior of a bird should not have one as a
pet (or companion).  Sure, you can modify behavior in small matters and
with respect for the animal's intellect and personality, but if you want
dog-like behavior, I respectfully submit that you want a dog for a pet.

Second, hyacynth macaws are rare birds.  I consider them a threatened
species.  It would be wrong to impose behavioral patterns that might
impair the ability to court and establish a pair bond with a compatible
mate.  I am aware that the survival of a number of bird species may lie
with successful captive breeding programs by aviculturists, so I have
no objection to one's keeping such birds.  However, the "owners" of rare
and endangered species have a responsibility to propagate them.  If the
owner of this macaw wants an obedient pet, she should take her bird to
an experienced, established aviculturist and exchange her for a less-rare
animal.  Every hyacynth macaw in captivity is too valuable not to be kept
for breeding.

A side note.  Support captive breeding (and limit bird abuse and loss of
indiginous populations) by buying birds that were hatched in captivity.
These can be identified by their seamless metal legbands and proper,
verifiable papers.  Leave the wild stock for professionals.  The captive-
hatched birds are much better adapted for life with humans, anyway.

(Sorry for the preachy tone - I know it's not your bird - but this is
a very important issue in birdkeeping.)

-lar

PS as a general observation, I can guage the health and happiness of my
birds by the raucousness of their calls.  Prolonged silence is an
indication of an unhappy or ill bird.

stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) (11/03/90)

In article <155@tivoli.UUCP> lark@tivoli.UUCP (Lar Kaufman) writes:
>Second, hyacynth macaws are rare birds.  I consider them a threatened
>species.

   In fact they are an endangered species listed on CITES Appendix I.

>A side note.  Support captive breeding (and limit bird abuse and loss of
>indiginous populations) by buying birds that were hatched in captivity.
>These can be identified by their seamless metal legbands and proper,
>verifiable papers.

  Unfortunately smugglers capture babies in the wild (and band them and
raise them).  Also, they are now using bone-softening chemicals to allow
them to slip a closed band on the birds leg.  Don't assume because the
bird is banded that it is domestic bred.  Run down the baby bird's
ancestory.  If you are willing to put some effort into it (and the breeder
is legit) you should be able to track down the grandparents or at least
some previous owners of the parents.

>(Sorry for the preachy tone - I know it's not your bird - but this is
>a very important issue in birdkeeping.)

    Keep on preaching ... the aviculture hobby needs more of it!

  Stewart

--
Stewart Winter                Cognos Incorporated   S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
VOICE: (613) 738-1338 x3830   FAX: (613) 738-0002           3755 Riverside Drive