[rec.birds] INDOOR: parakeet longevity

lbechtle@uceng.UC.EDU (laurie bechtler) (10/13/90)

How long do well-cared-for parakeets usually live?

cagoddar@athena.mit.edu (Christine A Goddard) (10/13/90)

I had a parakeet that lived for 10 years.
He died of a natural death, an abdominal tumor.

stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) (10/13/90)

In article <6378@uceng.UC.EDU> lbechtle@uceng.UC.EDU (laurie bechtler) writes:
>How long do well-cared-for parakeets usually live?

   Certainly 12 - 15 years for a small parakeet can be expected.
The larger parakeets (Alexandrine, Derbyan) should live at least
30 years ... more like 40.

  Stewart

--
Stewart Winter                Cognos Incorporated   S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
VOICE: (613) 738-1338 x3830   FAX: (613) 738-0002           3755 Riverside Drive

rmura@world.std.com (Ron Mura) (10/13/90)

In article <6378@uceng.UC.EDU> lbechtle@uceng.UC.EDU (laurie bechtler) writes:

> How long do well-cared-for parakeets usually live?

For the common budgie type, 7-8 years are common for WELL-CARED-FOR birds,
15 years is possible.

WELL-CARED-FOR means having a varied diet, especially vegetables.  Birds on
an all-seed diet live a lot less.

--
- Ron Mura, Boston, Mass.                   rmura@world.std.com

susans@cfi.COM (susans) (11/01/90)

In article <8923@cognos.UUCP> stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) writes:
>In article <6378@uceng.UC.EDU> lbechtle@uceng.UC.EDU (laurie bechtler) writes:

>>How long do well-cared-for parakeets usually live?
>
>   Certainly 12 - 15 years for a small parakeet can be expected.
>The larger parakeets (Alexandrine, Derbyan) should live at least
>30 years ... more like 40.

	Assuming she means budgies, I've read that the AVERAGE
	budgie in captivity succumbs to inadequate care in 3-4
	years!

	Apparently there are an awful lot of people out there
	that can't be bothered with taking proper care of
	their little feathered pets.

	Isn't that sad?

--
                        Susan S. (susans@cfi.com)

                        Another Friend of Bill's

rmura@world.std.com (Ron Mura) (11/02/90)

In article <934@cfiprod.UUCP> susans@cfi.COM (susans) writes:

> In article <8923@cognos.UUCP> stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) writes:
>
> 	Assuming she means budgies, I've read that the AVERAGE
> 	budgie in captivity succumbs to inadequate care in 3-4
> 	years!
>
> 	Apparently there are an awful lot of people out there
> 	that can't be bothered with taking proper care of
> 	their little feathered pets.
>
> 	Isn't that sad?

Yes, the way some people treat pets is very sad, but I think a lot
of the problem is simple ignorance.  People don't know the proper
care of a pet and it is hard to get the proper knowledge.  Every
book I've found on budgie care has left out some important items,
in my opinion.  (The situation is even worse with rabbits, our other
pets.)  And when you go to the store to get food, they sell mixes
with fatty seeds that caged budgies shouldn't eat.  Try finding 100%
while millet--even on request it's hard to locate.  Finding an avian vet
is difficult in many locations, and "regular" vets often know little
about birds.  (We took a parakeet to a generalist once and he said he
had had one lecture on birds at school but he slept through most of it!)

--
- Ron Mura, Boston, Mass.                   rmura@world.std.com

stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) (11/03/90)

In article <RMURA.90Nov1192105@world.std.com> rmura@world.std.com (Ron Mura) writes:
> And when you go to the store to get food, they sell mixes
>with fatty seeds that caged budgies shouldn't eat.  Try finding 100%
>while millet--even on request it's hard to locate.

   It's hard to know where to look, but once you find the right places
life becomes easy.  There are good bird stores in many areas of Canada
now, and one very reliable bird-only mail_order house.

    The biggest problem I've found is to sort out the good businesses
from the bad.  (ie it's easier to find the millet than to determine whether
or not the guy running the business is a con-artist or a smuggler).

  Stewart

--
Stewart Winter                Cognos Incorporated   S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
VOICE: (613) 738-1338 x3830   FAX: (613) 738-0002           3755 Riverside Drive
UUCP: uunet!cognos!stewartw                                 Ottawa, Ontario
The bird of the day is .... Peach Fronted Conure            CANADA  K1G 3Z4