[rec.birds] INDOOR Untraining Screamers

susans@cfi.COM (susans) (11/05/90)

In article <2731BD67.2128@intercon.com> ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) writes:

>Attempting to modify behavior of PET birds in this manner may be the
>only solution for those who have trained their birds TO scream by
>coming running every time the bird emmits a squack.  This type of
>behavior, as well as yelling, getting agitated around the bird, etc.
>TRAIN the bird to scream.

	Mikki: How about some ideas on how to untrain the bird I
	unwitting taught to scream whenever I am out of his field
	of vision?  The little darlin' has since taught his younger
	cage mate to do the same when HE is out of his field of
	vision--gets kind of loud!

>a closed band one size too big and force it on the bird's leg.  2)  Many
>domestics are bred WITHOUT bands because bands can endanger the health of
>the bird.

	None of my birds are rare, but only one has a band--my
	canary, but it's so small I can't read it!  I'd love to know
	what kind of canary he is (I think he's a Yorkshire)--and I'd
	also like to remove the band.  It doesn't seem to bother him,
	so I guess I'll leave it on.
--
                        Susan S. (susans@cfi.com)

                        Another Friend of Bill's

dkletter@adobe.COM (SUGAR in their vitamins?) (11/08/90)

of all birds, Parrots especially go for excitment in their lives. a lot
of couples where one bird takes a liking to either the male of female
can actually TRAIN the bird to bite the other. what happens is, the male
will pass the pet bird over to the female (why not share this cute darling
right?) but the bird doesn't want to move so it bites the female. the
male instinctively will yell at the bird or shake a hand or something
and the bird thinks "WOW, this is so cool! if i bite her, he does all
this neat stuff!" the same thing can happen with screaming. your bird
screams and you come running from another room and say something like
"hey you, be quiet!" or whatever and your bird thinks that's really keen.
the thing to do is to IGNORE your bird when it does that sort of thing.
birds are like little children. the Parrots thrive on this kind of
attention. if you deny it, then they learn that it might not be OK
to do it. to go back to the biting example, say you pass the bird to
your SO and the bird bites your SO. what you would do is get up and
walk out of the room, thus denying the bird the little "show" that
you used to provide.

hope this helps.

--
Yes.  Beautiful, wonderful nature.  Hear it sing to us: *snap*  Yes.  natURE.

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (11/08/90)

In article <941@cfiprod.UUCP>, susans@cfi.COM (susans) writes:
> Mikki: How about some ideas on how to untrain the bird I
> 	unwitting taught to scream whenever I am out of his field
> 	of vision?  The little darlin' has since taught his younger
> 	cage mate to do the same when HE is out of his field of
> 	vision--gets kind of loud!

It's quite difficult, both on you and on the bird to try to modify behavior.
 If you really must (and sometimes you really MUST) I put my bird in a dog
carrier and place the carrier in a dark bathroom for 25 minutes.  Then I
go take the carrier out and put the bird back into the cage and leave the
room.  Note, if you yell at the bird, stomp across the floor to get to it,
and/or handle it roughly, the bird will associate your "performance" with
something it can elicit to alleviate boredom.

Another attempt that sometimes works is to squirt water at the bird.  Unfortunately,
some like this and will scream in order for you to spray them.

Others have also just calmly walked into the room and covered the cage, turned
off the lights, and left the room.  The key is not to give the bird what
he wants (i.e. attention) when he screams.

Also, re: canary bands.  If you ever decide to take it off, please have a
vet do it.  It seems easy enough, but it really isn't.  A false move could
hurt the bird.  And one that tiny probably shouldn't even be messed with,
since they stress so easily.

Mikki Barry
--

susans@cfi.COM (susans) (11/08/90)

In article <27388C54.59BD@intercon.com> ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) writes:
>In article <941@cfiprod.UUCP>, susans@cfi.COM (susans) writes:
>> Mikki: How about some ideas on how to untrain the bird I
>> 	unwitting taught to scream whenever I am out of his field
>> 	of vision?
>
>... Note, if you yell at the bird, stomp across the floor to get to it,
>and/or handle it roughly, the bird will associate your "performance" with
>something it can elicit to alleviate boredom.

	Ah, yes.  "The dance of the screaming bird."  I do this beautifully.
	Sometimes I get flushed in the face with shame after I realize
	the bird has elicited such an irrational response from me!

>Others have also just calmly walked into the room and covered the cage, turned
>off the lights, and left the room.  The key is not to give the bird what
>he wants (i.e. attention) when he screams.

	I do this, and it doesn't work unless I am willing to also cover
	myself up with a heavy cloth, because I can hear him wherever he
	is.

>Also, re: canary bands.  If you ever decide to take it off, please have a
>vet do it.  It seems easy enough, but it really isn't.  A false move could
>hurt the bird.  And one that tiny probably shouldn't even be messed with,
>since they stress so easily.

	I've had to cut his nails once--he was pretty good about it, but
	I would never attempt to remove the band myself, as one false
	clip would take off his leg.  They look so frail and hollow!
	Ugly too.  Anyone else ever notice how ugly canary feet are?  All
	scaley looking (note: my bird does not have mites or scaly foot
	disease--just normal ugly canary legs).

	Thanks Mikki, for your usual informed response.

--
                        Susan S. (susans@cfi.com)

                        Another Friend of Bill's