[rec.birds] INDOOR: Funky Chicken-tiels

susans@cfi.COM (susans) (11/08/90)

Hi.  With the abundance of goofy postings in rec.pets along
the lines of "My doggy can open a bone wrapped in paper--isn't
that incredible!" I thought I would inquire about amusing bird
tales.

My submission:

Both my cockatiels have their wings clipped (one is a killer bird who
doesn't like anyone but me, and the other one is clipped to prevent
injury), and they are just beginning to bond to eachother a little bit.
Lately they've been cruisin' the floor, following me from room to room.
Anyone who lives with a bird who walks on the floor can probably
identify with how silly they look, walking their pigeon-toed walk
in thick carpet.  Having this little parade waddling along behind me
wherever I go is endearing, but somewhat unnerving too!  When I'm really
bored, I start to run around the place.  Watching them bump into each other
trying to keep up with me as I dash from room to room is a scream!

I guess you'd have to have seen it to get a real kick out of this, eh?

Anyone else have a laughing bird?  One of my guys likes to join me during
phone conversations and bend his little head to the receiver and laugh
wildly into the phone.  Gets me, and the caller, laughing hysterically,
which makes the bird laugh harder....
--
                        Susan S. (susans@cfi.com)

                        Another Friend of Bill's

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (11/13/90)

In article <946@cfiprod.UUCP>, susans@cfi.COM (susans) writes:
> Anyone else have a laughing bird?

As a matter of fact, PC the Mollucan that we have, loves to laugh, and has
on a number of occasions laughed when things on the TV are funny.  Most likely
getting some cues from us, but has beat us to the punch a couple of times.

He also likes to babble a lot, and will sit on his chair babbling up a storm
while chewing on whatever is handy.

This past weekend, we took Chick, our first hatched and raised by us cockatiel,
to a bird show.  We entered him, and sat back to watch how well he did.
When he was brought up to the show bench, and the judge stood in front of
him to take a loo, he started to laugh at the judge, and yelling "hey, squirt"
at him.  Unfortunatly he did not do very well...

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (11/13/90)

In article <273EEC20.42CE@intercon.com> kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) writes:

>This past weekend, we took Chick, our first hatched and raised by us cockatiel,
>to a bird show.  We entered him, and sat back to watch how well he did.
>When he was brought up to the show bench, and the judge stood in front of
>him to take a loo, he started to laugh at the judge, and yelling "hey, squirt"
>at him.  Unfortunatly he did not do very well...

Let's be fair, now.  Chicklet put his head down and went "heh heh heh".
Almost as if he was snickering.  THEN he called the judge "Squirt".
He came in last in class, last in sub-section, and last in section.

Anyone else show birds?

Mikki Barry