[rec.birds] INDOOR: Need info on quarantine stations and bird brokers.

bigbroth@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (James M. Coleman) (11/09/90)

Please send replies to UN106153@WVNVMS.WVNET.EDU.  I am using a friend's
account.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions concerning the heating of an
ill bird and proper diet.  Yet again I have more questions.

	Have any breeders reading bred imported Goffin cockatoos?

        If you have bred the above are they extremely difficult to breed or do
	they approach breeding about the same way a cockatiel does?

	What is the best way to get a healthy imported bird?

I've talked with two importers, one in California and one in Florida.  They
are charging between $110.00 and $125.00.  Sexxing is $25.00.  One lady I
talked with said I really didn't need to have the birds surgically sexxed.

	Can eye color be effectively used in determining the sex of Goffin
	cockatoos?

Since both importers are over a 1000 miles from my home and since I'd like to
see the birds before I buy them, I'm hoping to find some other brokers in the
New York area - I would think NY would have a quarantine station and plenty
of brokers.

	Does anyone know how to find quarantine stations -- which government
	organization should I call?

	Have any breeders had good results with any particular brokers?

			Thanks for your responses,
			Shane Saddler
			UN106153@WVNVMS.WVNET.EDU

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (11/10/90)

In article <984@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu> bigbroth@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (James M. Coleman) writes:

>	Have any breeders reading bred imported Goffin cockatoos?

We have one pair.

>        If you have bred the above are they extremely difficult to breed or do
>	they approach breeding about the same way a cockatiel does?

They have not bred yet.  Goffins are among the most difficult of all birds
to breed in captivity.  They can take from 6-7 years to breed,  or maybe
won't ever.

>	What is the best way to get a healthy imported bird?

Why do you want to get an import?  imported birds are plucked out of
trees from their home environment, stuffed into crates where 50% or
more die in shipment, then are kept in quarantine for 30 days (even
though it takes at least 45 to deal with psittacosis), then shipped
somewhere else for sale.  The birds are terrified and quite unhappy.
Granted, you will get healthy breeding stock (probably) since the top
half of the shipment survived, but keep in mind that many shipments
of birds coming into this country are carrying Psitacine Beak and Feather
virus which is highly contageous.

>I've talked with two importers, one in California and one in Florida.  They
>are charging between $110.00 and $125.00.  Sexxing is $25.00.  One lady I
>talked with said I really didn't need to have the birds surgically sexxed.

Sexing is 25.00?  Chances are, the importer isn't really sexing the birds,
or is doing it themselves.  Kits are sold in the mail where you tie the
bird to a board, cut it open, and look at the organs.  Most breeders
that do their own sexing don't bother to steralize instruments, or use
anethetic.  Many others say they have sexed the birds, when they
haven't.

>	Can eye color be effectively used in determining the sex of Goffin
>	cockatoos?

With about 80% accuracy.

>Since both importers are over a 1000 miles from my home and since I'd like to
>see the birds before I buy them, I'm hoping to find some other brokers in the
>New York area - I would think NY would have a quarantine station and plenty
>of brokers.

New York state does not allow for sale of imported birds.  If you want the
cheapest bird possible, expect that you will have to have it shipped.

>	Does anyone know how to find quarantine stations -- which government
>	organization should I call?

USDA

>	Have any breeders had good results with any particular brokers?

I wait for unwanted pet birds, then buy them (or they are given to me
since the owners know I will take excellent care of them).  Getting unwanted
pets has the advantages of 1) the bird having been in the country for
typically a few years so it can calm down enough to mate 2) precluding
the need to promote the importing industry 3) having a much better chance
of not being diseased.  Please keep in mind that with brokers, you
oftentimes get what you pay for.  Diseased birds whose sex is guessed
at, or worse, lied about.  MANY breeders I know have been duped and when
they finally get the birds sexed after many years, discover they have
two males or two hens.  The small amount you save (after insurance,
shipping, lengthy vet checks and treatments, re-sexing, etc. etc.) is
really not worth the torture the poor bird goes through.  THEN you have
to let the bird calm down, typically for a year or more until it feels
comfortable enough to breed.

Mikki Barry

stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) (11/13/90)

In article <984@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu> bigbroth@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (James M. Coleman) writes:
>	Have any breeders reading bred imported Goffin cockatoos?
>	What is the best way to get a healthy imported bird?
>I've talked with two importers, one in California and one in Florida.  They
>are charging between $110.00 and $125.00.  Sexxing is $25.00.  One lady I
>talked with said I really didn't need to have the birds surgically sexxed.

   Why are you so anxious to get an import?  There are many good reasons
to prefer a domestic bred bird.  They tend to mature earlier (if you
are getting a young bird), and are often more relaxed and reliable
breeders.  Secondly, it would appear to me that you might want to
support the very industry you are attempting to enter.

  Stewart
--
Stewart Winter                Cognos Incorporated   S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
VOICE: (613) 738-1338 x3830   FAX: (613) 738-0002           3755 Riverside Drive