[rec.birds] Night Parrot

stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) (11/03/90)

I heard on the news recently that an ornithologist in Australia
discovered a Night Parrot by the side of the road - a species
thought to be extinct.

Anyone out there no any more about this?  I'd be interested in
hearing about it.

  Stewart

--
Stewart Winter                Cognos Incorporated   S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
VOICE: (613) 738-1338 x3830   FAX: (613) 738-0002           3755 Riverside Drive

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (11/07/90)

In article <9004@cognos.UUCP>, stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) writes:
> I heard on the news recently that an ornithologist in Australia
> discovered a Night Parrot by the side of the road - a species
> thought to be extinct.
>
> Anyone out there no any more about this?  I'd be interested in
> hearing about it.
>
>   Stewart

This sort of thing is happening more and more often.  It seems that this
has happened enough that the Simthsonian is doing a book on creatures once
thought extinct and recently "found" again.

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

rising@zoo.toronto.edu (Jim Rising) (11/08/90)

I know nothing about Australian birds, but when I first saw this
posting on the Night Parrot, I looked it up in my Slater Guide.
It says: "...rare nomad in spinifex, samphire and bluebush plains
or rocky hillsides in arid interion; ... ; recent sightings in
Lake Eyre Bason."  So apparently it wasn't thought to be extinct.

Question for Australian birders, I am soon to go to Australia, and
I have lost my other Australian Field Guide (I think that it was a
Princeton guide).  Should I get another, or is Slater enough?
--
Name:     Jim Rising
Mail:     Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada    M5S 1A1

andrewt@cs.su.oz (Andrew Taylor) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov7.162529.15156@zoo.toronto.edu> rising@zoo.toronto.edu
(Jim Rising) writes:
> I know nothing about Australian birds, but when I first saw this
> posting on the Night Parrot, I looked it up in my Slater Guide.
> It says: "...rare nomad in spinifex, samphire and bluebush plains
> or rocky hillsides in arid interion; ... ; recent sightings in
> Lake Eyre Bason."  So apparently it wasn't thought to be extinct.

No, few thought it extinct though there was scepticism about the
reported sightings. I did post 2 weeks ago an (probably incoherent) article
briefly describing the discovery. I'll post any more news, I hear. I'd
be very interested to hear other reports on endangered birds. For example,
were any eskimo curlew nests found this year?

> Question for Australian birders, I am soon to go to Australia, and
> I have lost my other Australian Field Guide (I think that it was a
> Princeton guide).  Should I get another, or is Slater enough?

Provided you aren't talking about his old (1972?) 2-volume field guide but
rather the more recent (1987?) single volume, yes its sufficient.
I think its the best of the Australian field guides. The first edition
has a number of mistakes which hopefully have been corrected in the 2nd edition.

Field guides are fairly easy to obtain in Australia, larger book stores
usually carry at least one.

Andrew

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (11/09/90)

Rising) writes:
>  recent sightings in
> Lake Eyre Bason."  So apparently it wasn't thought to be extinct.

Did it give an actual date of those recent sightings?  If not, see if you
can find out.  In one of my books it counts recent sightings as being in
the 1800's for some birds.  :-)  Depends on the author.

Kurt
--

stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) (11/13/90)

In article <1990Nov7.162529.15156@zoo.toronto.edu> rising@zoo.toronto.edu (Jim Rising) writes:
>I know nothing about Australian birds, but when I first saw this
>posting on the Night Parrot, I looked it up in my Slater Guide.
>It says: "...rare nomad in spinifex, samphire and bluebush plains
>or rocky hillsides in arid interion; ... ; recent sightings in
>Lake Eyre Bason."  So apparently it wasn't thought to be extinct.

   I heard about it on "As It Happens."  Not necessarily the best
source of info about birds, but ...  They referred to it there
as the 'big foot' of parrots.  Lots of sightings, but none really
confirmed.  There was a large cash prize available for a verifiable
sighting which had been unclaimed in over 30 years.

--

andrewt@cs.su.oz (Andrew Taylor) (11/14/90)

In article <9034@cognos.UUCP> stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) writes:
>    I heard about it on "As It Happens."  Not necessarily the best
> source of info about birds, but ...  They referred to it there
> as the 'big foot' of parrots.  Lots of sightings, but none really
> confirmed.  There was a large cash prize available for a verifiable
> sighting which had been unclaimed in over 30 years.

No it isn't a good source of information. Unlike Bigfoot there were 12 museum
specimens. There haven't been many sighting in recent years probably less than
20. The only large cash prize I know about had been available for only 6 months!
Hopefully the Night Parrot will join some other birds that were almost
complete mysteries 10 years ago but we now know something about, such
as the "Plumed Frogmouth" (southern sunspecies of the Marbled Frogmouth)
and the Red Goshawk.

There are still a some mysteries left. The Paradise Parrot hasn't been
seen since 1928. Its probably extinct but there are still rumours!

More famous is the Thylacine (also called the Tasmanian Tiger, a Marsupial wolf
equivalent). The last accepted records are in the 1930s and its probably
extinct. But there are still numerous reported sighting, some apparently quite
reliable, but no solid evidence. Even stranger some of the reported sightings
come from the mainland. It was thought to become extinct on the mainland 2000+
years ago because of the Dingo's arrival.

We should be due for a new (not split) Australian bird species soon too.
There seems to have have been one every ten years since WWII. The best story
is probably that of the Grey Grasswren. In 1942 Norm Favaloro was travelling
through the Bulloo Overflow a remote area of central Australia. An unusual bird
flew across the road in front of his vehicle. He didn't have time to stop
and because of the war couldn't return. 25 years later in 1967, he returned to
the same spot and discovered the Grey Grasswren.

I think there is likely to another species of Grasswren still to be discovered
will a tiny range in some very remote area.

Andrew