[rec.birds] INDOOR: More questions on feeding

jlevy@cbnewsd.att.com (janet.levy) (11/08/90)

In article <273716A3.4683@intercon.com>, kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) writes:
> In article <9003@cognos.UUCP>, stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) writes:
> >    I disagree strongly with that pet shop owner.  Pelleted diets (the good
> > ones) provide a completely balanced diet for your bird.  Many birds
> > (including cockatiels) don't crave variety, so pellets are great.  It
>
> The only problem with this is the following.  There have been NO long term
> studies about the effects of feeding only pellets.  We recently had two very
> nice cockatiel breeders die due to calcified organs.  The vet thinks, no
> real clue here, that it was because they were on a pellet ONLY diet for all
> of their life.  We feed a variety of foods, seed, pellets, and fresh fruit
> and veggies.  Do the same for you bird, there just has not been enough study
> done yet to know for sure that there are no long term problems with pellets.
> --

I have been following this discussion about feeding with great
interest.  I have about 25 English budgies which I have bred.
I keep complete records on my birds, and find that after about
four years of age I tend to lose them.  They sometimes get a
digestive disorder which is not bacterial (vet cannot culture
it).  Many of the females seem overly fat and though the vet
says English budgies tend to this, I am coming to believe that
this is contributing to their early deaths.  Some appear to
have tumors (called fatty tumors by the vet), but they may also
get internal tumors for all I know.  These birds are bred very
seldom (2-3 pairs a year for only two clutches each).

Anyway, about a year and a half ago I started changing my feeding
habits.  Before I was feeding seed mixed with Petamine, supplemented
with greens and carrots.  Now I feed 1/2 seed mixed with a portion
I thaw daily which consists of corn, shredded lima beans, brown
rice and Roudybush crumbles (I used to use dogfood in place of the
pellets).  I supplement with Nekton, fresh vegetables, and a calcium
source.  The birds do well on this diet, but some are still obese
and the deaths continue.

My new theory is that they lack exercise.  Most of my cages are
tall and narrow which I have recently learned is not the best
design.  I am thinking of building large flight cages to encourage
the birds to fly around more (it is too difficult and dangerous
to let them out in the house, although I have a few special pets
who get out daily and these birds seem to be in good shape).  I am
also going to try cutting back even more on the seed portion of their
diet.  Does anyone have any opinions on these ideas?  I would welcome
any helpful advice.

Thanks,
Janet Levy
jsl@ihlpm.ATT.COM

rmura@world.std.com (Ron Mura) (11/09/90)

In article <1990Nov7.193411.22165@cbnewsd.att.com> jlevy@cbnewsd.att.com (janet.levy) writes:

> I have been following this discussion about feeding with great
> interest.  I have about 25 English budgies which I have bred.
> I keep complete records on my birds, and find that after about
> four years of age I tend to lose them.  They sometimes get a
> digestive disorder which is not bacterial (vet cannot culture
> it).  Many of the females seem overly fat and though the vet
> says English budgies tend to this, I am coming to believe that
> this is contributing to their early deaths.  Some appear to
> have tumors (called fatty tumors by the vet), but they may also
> get internal tumors for all I know.  These birds are bred very
> seldom (2-3 pairs a year for only two clutches each).

I can't comment on every type of food you are giving them, but
it definitely sounds like you are in the right direction.  Our
two budgies got very fat when they were about 3 or 4, with
tumor-like deposits (not actually tumors).  We had given them
occasional vegetables, but they were getting mixed, commercial-type
seed.  The avian vet we took them to said they should be on 100%
white millet, get vegetable(s) every day, and get regular
exercise.  The changes definitely have helped them, although the
male has retained a fatty deposit.

Another thing we did a year ago that seems to have helped was
to introduce into their cage a budgie that was a few months old.
She has kept the older two quite active!  I wouldn't try this
without careful observation--the older ones could mercilessly pick on the
young one if it is too young, and I suppose the young one could
in theory drive the older ones to exhaustion.  It would also
complicate things if you are trying to breed them.  It has worked
very well in our case, though.

--
- Ron Mura, Boston, Mass.                   rmura@world.std.com

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (11/10/90)

Oh no, more diet questions :-).  After doing lots of research and listening
to lots of vets, nutritionists, breeders, etc. etc., I have come to
the following conclusions.  Note, they work for me.  I'm not saying this
is the ONLY way, or even that it will work for you.  But here's what the
consensus is:

1)  NO pelleted diet is "complete" regardless of what the ads say.
2)  Protein levels should be kept at about 16-18% in adult birds, REGARDLESS
	of whether they are breeding.  Higher protein can cause a phenomenon
	that looks like calcification, tumors, etc. etc.  This rules out
	dog food, most breeder formulations of pellets, etc.
3)  Birds can get bored with their food.  So, if you feed the same thing day
	in and day out, the bird may get bored and take it out on his
	feathers, etc.  Variety is a MUST.  Whether it be by different
	types of seeds, nuts, fruits, veggies, different size pellets,
	juices, etc. etc.
4)  Birds NEED vitamin supplements.

My personal bird diet for cockatiels consists of 1/2 ziegler pellets,
1/2 kellogs pellets, with 2 or three heaping tablespoons of a mixture
consisting of petamine, vionate, and nekton S (they don't NEED E, they
breed enough as it is :-)).  They also receive fresh kale, millet and
different types of fruits and veggies on a daily basis.

Diet for parrots is 1/2 kellogs pellets, 1/2 kellogs FRESH seeds (no
sunflower mix) topped with the above mixture, and fresh fruits and
veggies daily.  They also get a heaping dose of E.

The pet diets are similar, except they get lots of table foods (with an
eye towards fat content, cholesterol, etc. etc.)and no E.

The lorrikeet gets nekton lorry and fresh fruit and veggies.

I don't put vitamins in the water anymore.  I use water bottles that
only need cleaning every week.  Vitamins in water would become useless
after 1/2 a day or so.  The bottles eliminate the problems with parrots
putting their food in the water and making a sludge.  They also stop
the cockatiels from using their water as a sewer.

Mikki Barry

stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) (11/13/90)

Mikki, I'm not out to give you a hard time, but I'd like to understand
the basis for your comments.

In article <273AFB50.15E1@intercon.com> ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) writes:
>Oh no, more diet questions :-).  After doing lots of research and listening
>to lots of vets, nutritionists, breeders, etc. etc., I have come to
>the following conclusions.

I'd interested in your research.  The good pellets (and they are hard
to distinguish from the others) have quite a bit of research put into
their composition done by people with doctorates in animal nutrition.
Have you gone to that level of detail?

>1)  NO pelleted diet is "complete" regardless of what the ads say.

What's missing?

>2)  Protein levels should be kept at about 16-18% in adult birds, REGARDLESS
>	of whether they are breeding.  Higher protein can cause a phenomenon
>	that looks like calcification, tumors, etc. etc.  This rules out
>	dog food, most breeder formulations of pellets, etc.

This flies in the face of common sense.  Eggs are almost pure protein.
Surely a hen's protein requirements are elevated during that time period.
Likewise for moulting.

Secondly, Roudybush did a study and concluded that the optimal protein
level for a breeding cockatiel is 20%.  What study are you basing your
information on?

>3)  Birds can get bored with their food.  So, if you feed the same thing day
>	in and day out, the bird may get bored and take it out on his
>	feathers, etc.  Variety is a MUST.  Whether it be by different
>	types of seeds, nuts, fruits, veggies, different size pellets,
>	juices, etc. etc.

Most birds are suspicious of new foods.  Many birds, if anything, would
prefer to eat the same thing, day-in day-out.  I've seen lots and lots
of birds that will eat only one thing.  Birds that need variety can
be given it as a supplement/treat.  I'm far from convinced it's a must.
It's certainly lower on my priority list compared to serving a nutritious
diet.

>4)  Birds NEED vitamin supplements.

I assume because some vitamins in the pellets lose their potency?
Which one's specifically.  Overdosing of vitamins causes problems
just as bad as underfeeding.

>I don't put vitamins in the water anymore.  I use water bottles that
>only need cleaning every week.  Vitamins in water would become useless
>after 1/2 a day or so.

   Agreed ... unfortunately many birds are adept at eating around
vitamins sprinkled on food (even damp veggies).

>The bottles eliminate the problems with parrots
>putting their food in the water and making a sludge.  They also stop
>the cockatiels from using their water as a sewer.

    Yes, but I find that most of our birds will bathe daily if given
a place to do so, and also most of our cockatiels (and some others)
really like fresh water (out of the tap).  Put two dishes in (both clean)
and one is straight from the tap, and they will choose that one every
time.

  My investment in pellets is not financial ... just that I think I'm
doing what's best for my birds.  I am really interested in hearing
of any counter-pellet evidence I should be considering.

   Stewart

--
Stewart Winter                Cognos Incorporated   S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
VOICE: (613) 738-1338 x3830   FAX: (613) 738-0002           3755 Riverside Drive

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (11/15/90)

In article <9035@cognos.UUCP>, stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) writes:
> I'd interested in your research.  The good pellets (and they are hard
> to distinguish from the others) have quite a bit of research put into
> their composition done by people with doctorates in animal nutrition.
> Have you gone to that level of detail?

Of course I haven't.  But one thing you must realize is that 1) most of the
research that has been done has been done with chickens, not psitacines and
2) most of the people who have done research have done this in order to sell
product.

> >1)  NO pelleted diet is "complete" regardless of what the ads say.

> What's missing?

Nobody KNOWS what's missing.  That's part of the problem.

> >2)  Protein levels should be kept at about 16-18% in adult birds, REGARDLESS
> >	of whether they are breeding.  Higher protein can cause a phenomenon
> >	that looks like calcification, tumors, etc. etc.  This rules out
> >	dog food, most breeder formulations of pellets, etc.

> This flies in the face of common sense.  Eggs are almost pure protein.
> Surely a hen's protein requirements are elevated during that time period.
> Likewise for moulting.

> Secondly, Roudybush did a study and concluded that the optimal protein
> level for a breeding cockatiel is 20%.  What study are you basing your
> information on?

Tom Roudybush's studies are often cited as gospel truth.  However, one study
is NOT a basket to put all of your eggs in :-).  I had a pair of beautiful
cockatiels die as a result of too high protein levels for too long a time.
See Parrot World, I think May of this year for a contrary article dealing
with elevated levels of uric acid in the kidneys of birds on 20% protein.

Although a hen's protein requirements are elevated during moulting and breeding,
it seems more common sensical to me to feed a lower protein level year round.
Also, even if Roudybush was correct as to cockatiels, as we all know, what
is good for one species is not necessarily good for all.

Also, you will find that most studies that have been done have been done
on a short term basis.  NOTHING has been done over the lifetime of a psitacine,
or even the lifetime of a cockatiel.  There just are not the funds available
to study cockatiels for a 15 year period.  Sure, high protein makes the birds
LOOK wonderful.  My birds never looked better than when they were on dog
food.  But it is obvious that they were missing something, else they would
have bred.

> Most birds are suspicious of new foods.  Many birds, if anything, would
> prefer to eat the same thing, day-in day-out.  I've seen lots and lots
> of birds that will eat only one thing.  Birds that need variety can
> be given it as a supplement/treat.  I'm far from convinced it's a must.
> It's certainly lower on my priority list compared to serving a nutritious
> diet.

My birds are very different from your birds in that case.  Yes, many birds
are suspicious of new foods.  Yes, many birds will only eat one thing.  But
also, given their druthers, many human children will also eat just one thing.
That doesn't necessarily mean that one thing is good for them.  And with
birds, we just do not know enough about what is a nutritious diet and what
is not.  See the proceedings of the AAV for 1990.

> >4)  Birds NEED vitamin supplements.

> I assume because some vitamins in the pellets lose their potency?
> Which one's specifically.  Overdosing of vitamins causes problems
> just as bad as underfeeding.

According to the Nekton people (and yes, I am aware they are out to make
money with their vitamins, but so is Tom Roudybush), it is virtually impossible
to overdose a bird on vitamins.  Like humans, most vitamins are flushed through
the system when they are not used.  No pellets contain all the vitamins and
minerals that birds need.

> >The bottles eliminate the problems with parrots
> >putting their food in the water and making a sludge.  They also stop
> >the cockatiels from using their water as a sewer.
>
>     Yes, but I find that most of our birds will bathe daily if given
> a place to do so, and also most of our cockatiels (and some others)
> really like fresh water (out of the tap).  Put two dishes in (both clean)
> and one is straight from the tap, and they will choose that one every
> time.

Very true.  If you can keep the bowls clean, and don't mind the extra work,
good luck to you.  I don't have time to do this with 70 birds.  However,
I always spray the birds down with a light mist every day which they enjoy
and from which they get their bath.

>   My investment in pellets is not financial ... just that I think I'm
> doing what's best for my birds.  I am really interested in hearing
> of any counter-pellet evidence I should be considering.

We're all trying to do what is best for our birds.  Learning from each other's
failures and successes is a great way to do this.  I do not believe that
enough research has been done to dub pellets, or any other one food for that
matter, to be nutritionally complete for psitacines.  Therefore, I try to
duplicate, as nearly as possible, the kind of diet they would get in the
wild.  Granted, not enough research has been done on what they eat in the
wild, either.  So I try to use a combination of common sense and what other
breeders and vets have told me.  That's how I came up with my food mixes.
I can't tell you how my birds will be in 10 years, but I think that the fresh
fruits and veggies, seeds and pellets, and vitamin and mineral supplements
will give them everything they need.

Mikki Barry