[rec.birds] Merciful nature

dgraham@kean.ucs.mun.ca (David Graham) (11/19/90)

In article <13985@crdgw1.crd.ge.com>, stpeters@dawn.crd.ge.com (Dick
St.Peters) writes:

>>And, if hawk makes its kill,
>>it will be quick and merciful
>
> ... are you sure of this?  It's clearly not true of, say, eagles
> catching fish, and it's not true of predators in general.  Nature is
> rarely merciful.  I've heard that in the wild animals caught by hawks
> are often still very much alive when they arrive at the hawk's nest
> and the hawk begins shredding them.

On the TV programme which I described some time ago about Harpy
Eagles, the sloth captured by a female Harpy and taken to the nest was
definitely still alive for some time (you could see it waving its
legs) though it had probably been mortally wounded by the initial
attack. The eagle appeared to trample it with its talons and seemed to
dispatch it fairly quickly...

   David Graham					dgraham@kean.ucs.mun.ca