[rec.birds] INDOOR: Bird Magazines

fleming@acsu.buffalo.edu (christine m fleming) (11/15/90)

I am interested in subscribing to magazines about birds: i already get
BirdTalk, and would be interested in other general types, as well as
any that are devoted to Cockatiels. Could someone post addresses, names,
and prices of such publications?

Also: how does everyone "rate" magazines like BirdTalk and American
Caged Bird? Any of the other "better known" journals? (Helpful?,
interesting or boring?, inventive?, factual?, stylish, colourful, or
plain?, Breeder oriented or Pet oriented?, expensive, worth the money,
or cheap?, etc.)

Which are your favourites, and why?

Also...
My new Cockatiel is wonderful: sweet and beautiful. But, he doesn't
seem to like "normal" toys -- at least not the wood toys in his cage.
Any suggestions? He does seem to like stray pennies and paperclips.
Are these ok, as long as he is watched constantly? He seems very sad
when we take them away. His other favourite is rope. Are there "made
for chewing" ropes around? Or are they unsafe, because he could get
caught up in them? Help! We have tried moving the other (wooden chew
toys) arround the cage to no effect. Are there any almost sure fire
Cockatiel favourites, either easily made at home or on the market?

He also seems to break blood feathers quite a lot. The breeder says
that it is part baby clumsiness, and part baby playfulness: is there
anything i can do to make his cage especially travel easy. He has VERY
large feet which he hasn't quite grown into (at 10 weeks). Should i
give him ladders? (He's never seen one before.) He BACKS off of
everything (hands, perches, feeders): is this just a weirdness or part
of the baby-figuring-things-out stage?

 Thanks!

susans@cfi.COM (susans) (11/19/90)

In article <46324@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> fleming@acsu.buffalo.edu (christine m fleming) writes:

>Also: how does everyone "rate" magazines like BirdTalk and American
>Caged Bird?

	That's American Cage Bird (not caged), and I thought it was
	kind of boring.  I found it very breeder oriented.  My opinion
	is strictly opinion!

>My new Cockatiel is wonderful: sweet and beautiful. But, he doesn't
>seem to like "normal" toys -- at least not the wood toys in his cage.

	Neither of my Cockatiels like any toys at all--many Cockatiels
	don't like toys.

>Any suggestions? He does seem to like stray pennies and paperclips.
>Are these ok, as long as he is watched constantly? He seems very sad

	I don't see why not.  They're too big to swallow.

>when we take them away. His other favourite is rope. Are there "made
>for chewing" ropes around? Or are they unsafe, because he could get

	There are chew toys made of rope available.  I suppose
	it's possible he could get tangled in them, but I personally
	wouldn't worry about that.

>caught up in them? Help! We have tried moving the other (wooden chew
>toys) arround the cage to no effect. Are there any almost sure fire

	If he was bored, he'd probably play with them.  If he doesn't
	want to, don't worry about it!!

>He also seems to break blood feathers quite a lot. The breeder says
>that it is part baby clumsiness, and part baby playfulness: is there

	My boys both broke lots of feathers as babies.  As long as they
	don't bleed after they break off, don't worry about it.  They
	don't really "worry" about their appearance until sexual
	maturity.
>give him ladders? (He's never seen one before.) He BACKS off of
>everything (hands, perches, feeders): is this just a weirdness or part
>of the baby-figuring-things-out stage?

	My birds still do this.  I never thought it was weird.  I
	tend to do it to!  Have you ever walked down a ladder
	face first??
--
                        Susan S. (susans@cfi.com)

                        Another Friend of Bill's

plemmons@nsf1.mth.msu.edu (Steve Plemmons) (11/20/90)

In article <957@cfiprod.UUCP> susans@cfiprod.UUCP (Susan Scheide -CFI-) writes:
>In article <46324@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> fleming@acsu.buffalo.edu (christine m fleming) writes:
>
>>He also seems to break blood feathers quite a lot. The breeder says
>>that it is part baby clumsiness, and part baby playfulness: is there
>
>	My boys both broke lots of feathers as babies.  As long as they
>	don't bleed after they break off, don't worry about it.  They
>	don't really "worry" about their appearance until sexual
>	maturity.

When, on the average, does sexual maturity happen with Cockatiels?

Steve

Steve Plemmons              "I've seen the light of day,
plemmons@mth.msu.edu         and I've felt the dark of night.
21144smp@msu.bitnet          I choose the light."         Phil Keaggy