[rec.birds] Info on Falconry

trljim@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (James Sonnenmeier) (11/16/90)

I'm interested in any info on the art of Falconry.  I know today poeple
don`t hunt with the birds but practice falconry for conservationalist
purposes.  I would like to know how to obtain a bird of prey, Hawk, Falcon,
Owl etc ...

Any info. books, addresses, first hand experiences would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you.

Jim Sonnenmeier                  !
TRLJIM@UBVMS.BITNET  : BITNET    !    :-)
[72361,2133]  : CompuServe       !    I like to think that time and space
University at Buffalo            !    are ours to use :) ... The sky is my
Department of Mechanical/        !    joy, the wind is my lift.
Aerospace Engineering            !

rjacobs@gara.une.oz.au ( ABRI) (11/16/90)

Subject: Re: Info on Falconry
Newsgroups: rec.birds

James,

You are mistaken in your assumption that birds of prey are no longer
used for hunting. Most serious falconers would use their birds for
hunting during sometime of the year. Of course the hunting is NOT only
for recreation, but helps keep the bird healthy and fit. It is very
difficult to keep raptors (at least medium to large ones) fit by only
exercising them with short flights to the fist. The other advantage to
the bird is that hunting provides a variation in the diet which can help
overcome to some extent the limitations of feeding your bird only chicks or
quail etc.

Falconry is not an art, but a science. There is not magic to falconry, but an
understanding of some basic principles and of the nature of your bird. Raptors
are very simple-minded animals and a good falconer understands their basic
instincts and uses these instincts to train the bird. But I have never seen
a raptor that has been tamed, like a dog or horse is tamed. Instead, you
learn to understand their nature and work with that. Nevertheless, a handler
does learn to love and respect his birds because of their nature and despite
the fact that you never become beloved companions (like a dog can be).

There are many books on falconry. Your public library is probably a good
source. The best modern book that deals with traditional methods that I
have read is by Philip Glasser and publ. in 1988 (I think). He was the founder
of the Falconry Centre in Newmarket, UK, but now has passed that job onto his
daughter. Sorry, I can't remember the name of the book (I don't have my copy
with me), but it was published in the UK and was not available in North
America. However, you local bookstore should be able to locate the agent and
import a copy for you. Another, author I would recommend is Frank Beebe from
Vancouver. He wrote several books that are good, but not as clear as Glasser
for a beginner. However, Beebe talks about some of the North American birds
which some of the UK books do not cover.

I think you will find it helpful to go to your library and read whatever you
can, but you will find many books which have large sections in them that
are either rubbish or dangerous to your bird. But you will only know this
by gaining experience and thinking about your birds behaviour. I'm sure
there are experienced falconers in the Buffalo area and you may locate them
through a club or through the North American Falconry Association (NAFA).
Perry McGehee tells me NAFA can be contacted via their secretary
Charlotte Freienmuth
354 County Rd 229
Durango, CO 81301

NAFA costs $25/year to join and they publish a regular newsletter and have
conferences periodically.

I know of a falconer who is about 3 hrs from you and who holds classes
for beginners and intermediate falconers a couple of times a year. He is
Wilfred Emonts and lives in Totenham, Ontario (about 45 mins north of Toronto)
and can be contacted on (416) 936-5469. I attended one of his courses and
was very impressed with his knowledge. However, I found him to be an
egomaniac and extremely dogmatic in his views about falconry. But when I
was able to see past the dislike I developed for the man, I found him to
be a brilliant falconer and I learnt a great deal from him. Mind you, his
courses are expensive. I paid $500 for 6 days. Most people don't like Wilf,
because he rubs them the wrong way and also he has been involved in fights
with govt in Canada and US. He also breeds birds and although his birds are
usually more expensive than some other breeders, his birds are top quality
and no imprints. He is probably the most successful commercial breeder in
North America.

Anyway, I hope that has been of some help. Good luck.

Ross Jacobs

tirone@acsu.buffalo.edu (stephen t tirone) (11/16/90)

In article <46476@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> trljim@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

>I'm interested in any info on the art of Falconry.  I know today poeple
>Any info. books, addresses, first hand experiences would be greatly
>appreciated.

	The latest issue of "The Conservationist" (magazine of the New
York Department of Environmental Conservation) has an informative
article on falconry entitled "The Real Sport of Kings."  It was
written by Rick Huff, an accomplished game-hawker who works at Buffalo
General Hospital (as a health physicist, I believe).  I highly
recommend the article.

Steve Tirone
tirone@acsu.buffalo.edu

wybranie@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Wybraniec) (11/17/90)

In article <46476@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> trljim@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (James Sonnenmeier) writes:
>I'm interested in any info on the art of Falconry.  ...

"The Maryland Hawking Club, on Sunday, December 2
will hold its 5th annual Sky-Trials day.
Local falconers will be bringing their peregrines, hybrids, other raptors
for a day of events in the countryside near Frederick, Maryland.
A great opportunity to see rare raptors 'up close and personal.'
A $3.00 admission fee is donated to raptor research and education foundations.
For more information call Paul DuBois, Maryland Hawking Club President
301-293-3962."

The above info is from the latest newsletter of the Raptor Society of
Metropolitan Washington (D.C.) Box 482, Annandale, Virginia 22003.

J.M.Spencer@newcastle.ac.uk (J.M. Spencer) (11/19/90)

In article <4699@gara.une.oz.au> rjacobs@gara.une.oz.au ( ABRI) writes:
>Subject: Re: Info on Falconry
>Newsgroups: rec.birds
>
>James,

[stuff deleted]
>There are many books on falconry. Your public library is probably a good
>source. The best modern book that deals with traditional methods that I
>have read is by Philip Glasser and publ. in 1988 (I think). He was the founder
>of the Falconry Centre in Newmarket, UK, but now has passed that job onto his
>daughter. Sorry, I can't remember the name of the book (I don't have my copy
>with me), but it was published in the UK and was not available in North
>America. However, you local bookstore should be able to locate the agent and
>import a copy for you. Another, author I would recommend is Frank Beebe from
>Vancouver. He wrote several books that are good, but not as clear as Glasser
>for a beginner. However, Beebe talks about some of the North American birds
>which some of the UK books do not cover.
>
>I think you will find it helpful to go to your library and read whatever you
>can, but you will find many books which have large sections in them that
>are either rubbish or dangerous to your bird.
[...]
>Ross Jacobs

The book is Falconry and Hawk by Philip Glasier (not Glasser) and  his
daughter is Jemima Parry-Jones.  Glasier's book is worth a read (I've
got a copy) although he gives some seriously flawed advice.  For
example, he suggests training a goshawk to follow the falconer from
tree to tree. This is OK for a Harris hawk or redtail, but it is a
recipe to loose a goshawk.  His daughter is a prolific breeder of
raptors but not (to my mind) a falconer.  She does lots of flying
displays and talks at schools etc., and professes to be "the best
falconer in Britain" (her words), but there are not many practising falconers
 who would agree with her.  Too much ego and too little hawking.

Anyway, I can post a short bibliography if anyone is interested.

--- Jonathan
Sender : Jonathan M Spencer
Mail   : Computing Lab, University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE1 7RU, UK
Phone  : +91 222 8229
ARPA   : J.M.Spencer%newcastle.ac.uk@cs.ucl.ac.uk
JANET  : J.M.Spencer@uk.ac.newcastle
UUCP   : !ukc!newcastle.ac.uk!J.M.Spencer

trljim@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (James Sonnenmeier) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov19.112854.5131@newcastle.ac.uk>, J.M.Spencer@newcastle.ac.uk (J.M. Spencer) writes...

>[stuff deleted]
>
>Anyway, I can post a short bibliography if anyone is interested.
>
>--- Jonathan
>Sender : Jonathan M Spencer
>Mail   : Computing Lab, University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE1 7RU, UK
>Phone  : +91 222 8229
>ARPA   : J.M.Spencer%newcastle.ac.uk@cs.ucl.ac.uk
>JANET  : J.M.Spencer@uk.ac.newcastle
>UUCP   : !ukc!newcastle.ac.uk!J.M.Spencer

Yes please do post the bibliography . It would be greatly appreciated.

thanks :)