[rec.birds] Are you asking ME whether it's the hawk or the gun who is cruel?

dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sam Conway) (11/21/90)

In article <3159@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> mm@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Mike Mahler) writes:

>	I'm not so sure it's "quick and painless"...
>
>	Purina Falcon Chow) and it was not pleasant to see and HEAR
>	the falcon SLOWLY eat the bird while it was still alive.  In
>	fact, they seem to grab it and then fly to the perch and just
>	look around for a while (perhaps looking for competitiors?
>	Sam?) and peck at it's head every once in a while the whole
>	time the parakeet was screaming.

Yes, looking for competitors, or anything else that might interrupt the
meal.

I've been watching the argument about who is more "merciful", a shotgun
or a hawk.  Not only do I find it the most absolutely silly topic
of conversation I've ever encountered 8-)...but it seems that some of
those involved have not had the opportunity to observe hawks feeding.

By necessity, a place that releases recuperated birds to the wild must
feed them on live prey, so that their hunting capability can be judged.
I recall feeding a quail to a very enthusiastic goshawk and then
watching from a distance.  The gos jumped on the quail and then simply
stood there, looking around.  The quail was gasping most pitifully; every
time it tried to struggle, the hawk would grip it tighter.  This went
on for about ten minutes until the hawk felt safe enough to feed.  The
quail only died when its body had been mostly ripped apart.

On the other hand, I watched a Cooper's hawk (also an accipiter) exhibit
what I call "prey-dancing".  It grabbed a quail and immediately footed
it into a very mushy pile of meat.  I don't think the quail even knew
what hit it.  I have also seen peregrines immediately snap the neck of
their prey before eating it...but I've also seen birds that had been
struck by peregrines but not killed, and it is true the their injuries
are particularly gruesome.

So, is Nature cruel?  Are hawks cold-blooded?  That can only be judged
by those who want to impose our own definitions upon Nature.  In short,
it does what is necessary.

As for shotguns...well, this one, too, is a silly argument.  A shotgun
is an instrument -- it is neither cruel nor merciful in and of itself.
The injuries that it inflicts CAN be very painful...but so can those
inflicted by a redtailed hawk.  Isn't it cruel that a gunshot bird can
escape, only to slowly die later on?  It is no more cruel than the
rabbit whose hide is ripped from its back before it escapes from the
hawk into its burrow.

Now, there is one way in which guns are more "cruel" than a "natural"
death:  a hawk's talons are not made of lead.  A gunshot bird who survives
is likely to be eaten by someone else in the forest...and then that some-
one is administered a toxic dosage of lead from the pellets buried in
its prey.  Nature counted on predators, including man -- what she
didn't count on was lead.

And as a final point in this rambling dissertation....please don't bore
me with arguments that an animal hunts only because it HAS to, and
man hunts only because he WANTS to.  If anyone has ever seen a
peregrine take down a bird, eat a small portion of the breast, and then
fly away to hunt for something else, you'll understand.

Don't get me wrong.  I don't like guns pointed at my birds, either.
But let's face facts.  Guns exist.  They aren't going to go away.
Thus, the best we can do is try to learn how to use them responsibly.

--
Sam Conway                             * What shape do you usually have?
dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu           * Mickey Mouse shape?  Smarties

mm@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Mike Mahler) (11/21/90)

	[Nicely said Sam.]

	The easiest question to answer in this case is "Which is
	more sad, a hawk getting it's meal or a hunter shooting
	a hawk?"

	I have a few questions:

	What's the purpose of the "prey dancing"?  Is it so other
	hawks don't recognize it as a kill and won't bother to
	challenge?

	Are there any attempts at passing legislation aimed at
	making lead buckshot illegal?  (at least)...

--
Taking action is a choice.
	Taking NO action is a choice as well.

stpeters@dawn.crd.ge.com (Dick St.Peters) (11/26/90)

In article <25889@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sam Conway) writes:
>I've been watching the argument about who is more "merciful", a shotgun
>or a hawk.  Not only do I find it the most absolutely silly topic
>of conversation I've ever encountered 8-)...but it seems that some of
>those involved have not had the opportunity to observe hawks feeding.

I've never had the opportunity, which is why I asked whether it was
really true that a falcon immediately kills what it catches.  Because
my news server went out to lunch, I didn't get to see any responses,
and I don't know if Sam's comment was provoked by some thread started
by my question.

But Sam, I think you must have missed a point somewhere.  As you say,
it would be pretty silly to argue whether a shotgun or hawk is cruel,
so I have to presume that the issue was which *human* was being more
cruel, the one using the gun or the one using the hawk (falcon?).
That's not a silly question, although it ought to be phrased without a
presumption that either is cruel - and belongs in another newsgroup.

>So, is Nature cruel?  Are hawks cold-blooded?  That can only be judged
>by those who want to impose our own definitions upon Nature.  In short,
>it does what is necessary.

I think the right way to phrase this is that cruelty and mercy are
*concepts* that don't apply to Nature.  They're human moral values;
asking if a hawk is cruel is like asking if a rainbow is heavy or if a
bird's call is yellow.

Anyway, I still don't know if falcons kill their prey immediately as
was asserted in the posting that prompted my question.  (I'm also
curious why Sam's posting arrived here long after some from farther
away that seemed to refer to it.)
--
Dick St.Peters, GE Corporate R&D, Schenectady, NY
stpeters@dawn.crd.ge.com	uunet!dawn.crd.ge.com!stpeters

geleynse@hppad.HP.COM (Martin Geleynse) (11/28/90)

Dick St.Peters (stpeters@dawn.crd.ge.com (Dick St.Peters) writes:

>I've never had the opportunity, which is why I asked whether it was
>really true that a falcon immediately kills what it catches.  Because
>my news server went out to lunch, I didn't get to see any responses,
>Anyway, I still don't know if falcons kill their prey immediately as
>was asserted in the posting that prompted my question.

I also missed most of the discussion. Though I haven't been able to watch
very many wild falcons kill things close enough to really see what they were
doing, I have flown falcons for a number of years. In my experience the time
it takes a falcon to kill something it has captured depends to a large
extent on 2 things: how big the quarry is, and how experienced the falcon is.
When my 4 year old tiercel (male) peregrine grabs a gray partridge
(fairly large compared to typical quarry for a wild peregrine), and brings
it down, the partridge is invariably dead or very close to it by the time
I get to him in 30 seconds or so. I would guess that most passerine quarry
would be killed almost instantly.

In his first year my bird did not kill nearly as cleanly. In fact during
the early part of the season, the quarry would occasionally break free and
escape. I imagine this happens to young falcons
in the wild as well. They soon learn that "it ain't over till its over".

As to "cruelty": Falcons are guiltless killers. I'm sure they don't care
if the quarry is dead or merely incapacitated - just so long as it can't get
away!. I think the reason they have developed the "toothed" upper mandible and
usually kill quickly is that they don't have very strong feet compared to
hawks, and they cannot count on being able to hold on indefinitely.