[rec.birds] Indoor: Birds not understanding, was Avian vets

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (12/04/90)

In article <26425@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sam Conway) writes:
>I would dearly love to get my hands
>on this jerk who came up with the "animals instinctively know when
>you're trying to help them" garbage.

No kidding! One of my canaries gets ingrown feathers. Some of the feathers
are partally external ( sorry, I don't know the real terms ) and if I find
them in time can be pulled out with a minimum of damage. If I miss one or
if he gets a completely ingrown feather I have to take him to Reynoldsburg
where Dr. Mohan, an Avian vet, performs surgery. This bird sees me as a
monster. Every week or two I catch him just to sadistically pluck him and
occasionally take him north to really be tortured. I do all of this sort of
work so that he can at least trust my wife. It's really disturbing but
necessary. As to non-avian vets, there is a vet in our county who has an
extremely good reputation. When we noticed the first bump in our canary
we took him there. This vet said that it was cancer and the bird should be
put out of its misery. Fortunately we delayed and were told about Dr. Mohan.
He told us that the only thing more common than ingrown feathers was mis-
diagnosis by non-avian vets. This other vet told us that he sees this type
of "cancer" all of the time. He doesn't know what he's doing and kills
peoples birds for no good reason. I can understand why "normal" vets don't
have the time to really understand birds but they have no right to act as
if they do.

Bob Church
bchurch.oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu