[rec.birds] Help on stopping kamekaze birds

ted@isgtec.uucp (Ted Richards) (12/12/90)

We have a number of bird feeders in our yard and are having problems
with birds smashing into our [large] windows lately, two of which
died as a result.  The very first evening grossbeak that I have seen
in four years of bird feeding, was lying dead on the ground under the
window :-(

We tried taping silhouettes of diving hawks high up on the outside of
the windows (a frequently recommended solution), but it hasn't helped.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
--
Ted Richards          ...uunet!utai!lsuc!isgtec!ted         ted@isgtec.UUCP
ISG Technologies Inc.   3030 Orlando Dr. Mississauga  Ont.  Canada   L4V 1S8

rmura@world.std.com (Ron Mura) (12/12/90)

In article <759@isgtec.UUCP> ted@isgtec.uucp (Ted Richards) writes:

> We have a number of bird feeders in our yard and are having problems
> with birds smashing into our [large] windows lately, two of which
> died as a result.  The very first evening grossbeak that I have seen
> in four years of bird feeding, was lying dead on the ground under the
> window :-(
>
> We tried taping silhouettes of diving hawks high up on the outside of
> the windows (a frequently recommended solution), but it hasn't helped.

We have had the same problem, especially when the birds are scared
by a hawk or a cat that wanders into the yard.  The birds see the
reflection of sky and trees and think they can fly through.

I put those yellow "post-its" on the windows (on the outside).
Despite the wind, rain, and snow, they stay on for at least a year.
If you put one per 324 sq. inches or so (an area 1.5 feet square),
they work well.  (The hawk stickers work, to the extent that they
do, by showing the birds that there is a solid barrier, not because
of their silhouettes.  If you used more of them, they would probably
work too, although I think the yellow color of the post-its might
give a little more advance warning.)

I have also changed the location of our feeders, so that they are
farther away from an "L" in the house, where birds might get
more trapped and panicked when fleeing.  We can't see them quite
as well as before, but that's better than having dead birds--even
one dead one is too many.
--
- Ron Mura, Boston, Mass.                   rmura@world.std.com